LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New member with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 08:27 AM
fallguz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a few questions

hello guys

my name's Alain, and i've been the proud owner of a '95 ls400 since about 6 months. Best car i've ever owned, hands down. It's bone stock except for the Data System air suspension controller I put on it. (In switzerland, ALL LS400 came fully loaded, ALL with air suspension. which i quite enjoy, honestly)

Unfortunately, even though it has only 80k miles on the clock the previous owner didn't seem to care too much about servicing it properly

I have so far changed the entire upper control arms, oil, spark plugs.

Please excuse the crappy cell phone pic. The wheels are just 18" 5zigen i took off my S14 that happened to fit.

I use the LS to pull my S14 to trackdays and back, as well as a daily commuter.

my other toy, which i love and hate at the same time, is a fast road AE86. (make that slow road)

Have been reading up about a few things. My major concern with my LS, which is probably down to bad servicing: It absolutely EATS gas away, don't think its normal.

I go fill it up as soon as the warning light comes up, and i only get 310 miles until then. (complete fill up is 70 liters / 18.5 gallons after the warning came on)

Also, the engine feels pretty sluggish, have ridden in other LS400 (same year) that had noticably better engine response and more torque.

What would you guys suggest I should include in the upcoming huge servicing? I will be doing air filter, belt, waterpump, pulleys, lower ball joints, brakes all around, and an alignment for sure. Anything vital missing?

i read that cleaning out the AFM, and the throttle body can help with response and fuel consumption problems. I'd probably look into that as well.

Is seafoaming the engine an option? I think it was abused in the past or something.

Also, since I use it often for pulling 2 tons of car, should I change the transmission oil regulary? How would that affect oil change intervals?

great forum, and community. I'm looking forward to looking for more info as i go.
Attached Thumbnails New member with a few questions-bild074.jpg  

Last edited by fallguz; 07-24-08 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-24-08, 08:42 AM
fallguz
Driver School Candidate

the other money pit.
Attached Thumbnails New member with a few questions-s14.jpg  
Old 07-24-08, 08:43 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome to CL!! def gotta change timing belt if previous owner didnt care about service. also change your distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, and air filter. also be careful cleaning the afm because i read that it could also damage the wire. you could do seafoam since its cheap and easy. good luck!
Old 07-24-08, 08:44 AM
fallguz
Driver School Candidate

and the one i call 'Rusty'
Attached Thumbnails New member with a few questions-bild086.jpg  
Old 07-24-08, 10:30 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Car looks good. If you do all the maintenance as you, said it will be fine. I am getting 450 miles per tank on dirty filter/dirty plugs/dirty wires. All getting changed today. I drive it conservatively.

If you tow with your car a low, I would recommend following the "severe" recommendations for tranny fluid change, or once a year whichever is more frequent. I have added an extra tranny cooler (higher duty) on my tow vehicle, I am not sure if that is doable with the LS, but someone smarter than me will chime in.

Here is my AE86 GTS
Attached Thumbnails New member with a few questions-ae86.jpg  
Old 07-24-08, 12:08 PM
fallguz
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys.

i want your wheels ryan and your headlamps (all levins in CH)
think ive seen your ride over at club4ag. nice!

i'll do a search for trans oil coolers then!
Old 07-24-08, 12:09 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by fallguz
thanks guys.

i want your wheels ryan and your headlamps (all levins in CH)
think ive seen your ride over at club4ag. nice!
Get in line , seems like every wheel I have on any of my cars, people want them. That is why I keep 2-3 sets of wheels per car. You should see my special order black volks for the hachi

Grass is always greener. My AE92 has a full Levin conversion, and you guys want the pop ups.
Old 08-04-08, 10:27 AM
fallguz
Driver School Candidate

hey have to revive this one since i'm confused:

Turns out after changing lower balljoints that my Tie Rod Ends and Stabilizer Links are shot as hell.

Now at my local lexus dealer just front tie rod ends and stabilizer links cost 700$$. yeah thats switzerland for you.

Now i want to get them at Lexuspartsonline.com but WHAT ARE THEY CALLED

I thought Tie Rods are called tie rods, and tie rod ends are called tie rod ends. Can't find anything resembling that!!

What is a 'Strut Rod' ? does that equal a tie rod? There's also knuckles. Don't think it's those tho...

or do they not sell Tie rod ends at all? i did find the stabilizer links... heellppp

@ryan
i can see that - if we had the truenos here i'm sure we'd also want levins for some weird reason. truenos do look cooler tho in hatch form, no matter where on the world.
Old 08-04-08, 10:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i recco l-tunedparts.com, they have all the parts, great guys to deal with (luis, ceasar, and steve), and i THINK they ship overseas.

plus if u phone in the order they'll discount you some more, i think the code CLOEM might work too