LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LONG time member....FINALLY in an LS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-08, 06:13 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default LONG time member....FINALLY in an LS...

Hey everybody,

Many of you guys on CL are my close friends, some family, and I have been on this forum for many years. Had a few SC300s as well over the years, love the Lexus cars. Lately been tracking my Lotus and did a full 4 years restoration on my 67 mini, so been really busy. Been driving the AE86 hatch, which just sold last night.

So this morning was shopping for a beater, and looked at a few early 2000 toyota trucks. They were all beat up. Got fed up, and looked at some more ads. I have always wanted an LS and VIP over the last few years, but just never pulled the trigger. Even looked at a GS300 today, but after driving it, didn't feel it.

So I stumbled upon an LS400 1995 model. Ugly color (the gold one), original owner, 72 year old college professor. 116K miles. Every single maintenance from day one done at Lexus dealer, almost 5 inches of records. Went test drove it, made him an offer, he was asking 5500, I offered him 3800, and he took it if I bought it this weekend. Paid him a deposit, will pick up tomorrow afternoon.

So finally I am a member of the LS clan. I have a few questions, and hopefully you LS peeps will welcome me with open arms and not mind a few of my newbie questions, and will be as welcoming as my SC brothers have always been.

This is a beater car. I want to lower it, and put some deep dish vip wheels on it, and tint the front 2 windows and ipod connnector-for now

1) This isn't a track car by any means, I have other toys for that. What is your suspension recommendation. I called a local shop who said they had a Tein coilover for 1299$ and can have it to me in 2 weeks. What are other options?

2) What wheel size do you guys recommend. 18s or 19s? Width without rubbing? I want to lower it enough where it has about 1 finger gap all the way around.

3) Is the V8 interference or non interference motor?

4) When I shift it from Park to Reverse or Park to drive, the car "shakes" into the gear. I can't describe it better. Basically moving it from Park to any gear, you can "feel that a gear has been changed." My SC300 98 auto also does this. Any ideas?

5) Yes I know it is illegal, but anybody have recommendations of TINT shop for front two windows in Los Angeles/Ventura area? How much should I expect to pay?

6) Brakes-I drove the Lotus there, so not sure if my feeling is whack, but it seems I had to push the pedal quite a bit before the brake would grab. No squeeks or rattles. Not going to the floor, like brake master cylinder plan, but would it be pad related?

7) My luck just has it, like my last 3 Lexus it has the gold package. YUCK. On a gold car would doing a black mettalic look good? You guys have any pics on such mod? I know I can't remove them all, because they will leave holes in the trunk.

8) IPOD connector-how difficult and how much should I spend to get a ipod connector to stock nakamichi system?

Appreciate all the help. I will be taking the car from Los ANgeles to Chicago on a drive first week of August.

Hope to have it modded in the next 2 weeks.

Attached Thumbnails LONG time member....FINALLY in an LS...-01020001041001030820080711adc1fe6c0087d765fe00b051.jpg  
Old 07-12-08, 08:10 PM
ninjarico
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert by any means but...

1. I believe TEIN, Megan and JIC are the only companies that make coilovers for the 95. 1300 for a new set of TEIN's is pretty good.

3 . 95+ is an interference engine

4. Mine does the same thing (93) but I paid **** for my car so just assumed the tranny was beat up, might be very normal.

7. Maybe, if you can get a decent shot of the emblems someone here (myself included) could photoshop it.
Old 07-12-08, 08:31 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Well I don't "have to" have coilovers, but I am not sure what spring/shock setup will lower it enough, so I don't want to have to buy different sets of springs and try.

On my first SC (years ago), I had espilir springs, and the drop was perfect.

Thanks for your help on the other issues, much appreciated
Old 07-12-08, 08:35 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

puredrifter made a DIY on how to paint ur emblems black...think its in the detailing section.

puredrifter also made a ipod connectivity thread using the stock headunit. think its in the audio section.
Old 07-12-08, 08:36 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
puredrifter made a DIY on how to paint ur emblems black...think its in the detailing section.

puredrifter also made a ipod connectivity thread using the stock headunit. think its in the audio section.
Ok will search to see if I can find it! Thanks. Any comments on how black emblems will look on my grand daddy style gold car?
Old 07-12-08, 09:07 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dunno how it looks on gold cars but it looks nice on white cars .
Old 07-12-08, 09:18 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
dunno how it looks on gold cars but it looks nice on white cars .
It looks sick on white cars. But I got disgusting gold. It was too good of a deal to pass up and I need a beater anways
Old 07-12-08, 10:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1) This isn't a track car by any means, I have other toys for that. What is your suspension recommendation. I called a local shop who said they had a Tein coilover for 1299$ and can have it to me in 2 weeks. What are other options?
other main options are JIC (~$1600-1800) or Megan (~$900)

2) What wheel size do you guys recommend. 18s or 19s? Width without rubbing? I want to lower it enough where it has about 1 finger gap all the way around.
either work, depends what you want, i have a set of nice conservative 18" HREs that are for sale if you want VIP you WILL be shaving/rolling the fenders to get the width/offset to fit.

3) Is the V8 interference or non interference motor?
89-94 are non interference, 95-00 are interference

4) When I shift it from Park to Reverse or Park to drive, the car "shakes" into the gear. I can't describe it better. Basically moving it from Park to any gear, you can "feel that a gear has been changed." My SC300 98 auto also does this. Any ideas?
change the rear transmission mount and possibly the engine mounts if needed

5) Yes I know it is illegal, but anybody have recommendations of TINT shop for front two windows in Los Angeles/Ventura area? How much should I expect to pay?
i got my tint done at California Tint in Rosemeade no idea how much for just 2 windows.

6) Brakes-I drove the Lotus there, so not sure if my feeling is whack, but it seems I had to push the pedal quite a bit before the brake would grab. No squeeks or rattles. Not going to the floor, like brake master cylinder plan, but would it be pad related?
check the fluid level, most likely needs to be bled as well.

7) My luck just has it, like my last 3 Lexus it has the gold package. YUCK. On a gold car would doing a black mettalic look good? You guys have any pics on such mod? I know I can't remove them all, because they will leave holes in the trunk.
give me roughly a month or so (goin on vacation ) and il have a NEW emblem diy up

8) IPOD connector-how difficult and how much should I spend to get a ipod connector to stock nakamichi system?
you can't buy it from any company, nobody makes them.
but you can make one....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269156
Old 07-13-08, 07:59 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Thanks for answering all the questions!! Really appreciate it. I will check your 18s for sale, but I think 19 might fit it perfectly.

Has anybody done a gold grandpa color vip car? I know everyone is allways white/black/silver.

Will do the brake fluid check.maybe air in the system? Also will check pad thickness when I get the car home today.

How are the quality of the Megan coilovers? I have Tein on my other cars, and happy with them over the years, is Megan pretty decent? Can it be purchased locally?
Old 07-13-08, 12:22 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Thanks for answering all the questions!! Really appreciate it. I will check your 18s for sale, but I think 19 might fit it perfectly.

Has anybody done a gold grandpa color vip car? I know everyone is allways white/black/silver.

Will do the brake fluid check.maybe air in the system? Also will check pad thickness when I get the car home today.

How are the quality of the Megan coilovers? I have Tein on my other cars, and happy with them over the years, is Megan pretty decent? Can it be purchased locally?
I do remember seeing a full gold WALD LS400 first gen somewhere.. I'll try to dig up the pics.
Old 07-13-08, 02:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

CelsiorGirl here in socal has a gold/tan LS iirc.

i personally have no experience with Megan or Tein, im one of the few running the LSportline suspension
custom spec Bilstein (4perch) and Eibach springs ftw
Old 07-13-08, 04:11 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gangsta right here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=364533

or these for dailys
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=365008
Old 07-13-08, 04:19 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, it's good to have you! I am a big fan of the SC as well!
Old 07-13-08, 08:46 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Ok so got my 95 LS home today. Looks great, happy with it. Noticed a few things, and want to update the maintenance.

1) I opened up the covers, and the top of the timing belt looks like there are some sraight cracks in it, exactly where the underside ribs are. So I think change is in order. Car has 117K miles. What do you think?

These are the parts I need to buy. OEM is best of course, but looking to hear your options where to purchase from. I am in Southern California. Also if you guys know the part prices, would help me out, before I call and order.

1) Timing Belt
2) Water PUmp
3) Thermostat -probably need to change it at time of TB/WB right?
4) Rear Brake pads (car needs it), do I need to buy the sensor as well?
5) Front power steering cap, underseal.
6) Air Filter-its disgusting
7) Plugs
8) Wires-distributor
9) Oil Filter
10) Hood struts.

I want to do all these together. My local mechanic quoted me $500 for everything above.

Please advice. I can go to a diff mechanic if you guys would recommend.

Appreciate all the help.
Old 07-13-08, 08:49 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Suneet
I do remember seeing a full gold WALD LS400 first gen somewhere.. I'll try to dig up the pics.
Suneet, thanks brotha! Appreciate the help, will await your pictures.

Quick Reply: LONG time member....FINALLY in an LS...