LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

TRAC code 51

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 06:47 PM
JLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAC code 51

hey guys, first of all I have to say THANKS to all the help you've provided with my car...before my first post (this one) just from searching I've cleared the airbag light/code 41 and gotten rid of the R light and transmission shenanigans whenever I hit the brake.

Now I just want to run something by y'all to make sure I'm on the right track before I spend a bunch of money (so far the fixes have been free).

Vitals: 1992 LS400, 192,000 miles. I got the car in a trade for a 1983 Ford Bronco that got 9mpg...the Bronco was for sale for 3 months without even a test drive, so when this came along I figured it HAS to be easier to sell than a 9mpg truck in a gas crisis. What I didn't find out beforehand is the dash was lit up light a friggin Christmas tree.

What I have left is -
engine code 25 - A/F ratio lean. In my experience this usually points to the oxygen sensor and not an actual lean condition. Any thoughts?

ABS Code 34 - rear wheel speed sensor signal malfunction. Incidentally the same wheel is tweaked from what appears to have been a curb hit, bending the spindle/axle carrier. However, I have seen cars that threw a speed sensor code when the real culprit was the ABS module itself. What is more likely? Most salvage yards just leave the sensor on the spindle when they sell it, so I'll probably get a two for one anyway.

and finally - TRAC code 51 - problem in engine control system. Is this just telling me more or less that I have engine trouble codes? I checked all the codes last night and did not have an engine or TRAC code, but after a 1 mile drive around the block this afternoon, the engine light came on and both had new codes. The TRAC off light has been on along with the antilock light, I assumed they were related since the TRAC didnt have any codes last night.

Anyway, just hoping you guys/girls might have some input here before I go marching on spending hundreds of dollars and hours under the car.
Old 09-19-12, 07:14 AM
559SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Do you have a solution to this? Engine code 25 and trac code 51. Thanks in advance. I have a 92 lexus sc400 it should be similar to the ls400. I did a whole complete tune up. Spark plugs, spark plug wires, water pump, starter, timing belt, gas cap from lexus dealership, thermostat, temperature switch, cleaned all the carbon build up in the throttle and sand blasted top and bottom intake manifold, oil change, fuel filter, fuel pump. I spent a load of cash but can't seem to get on the right track of removing the codes. Please help!