LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Considering an LS400......

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 10:29 PM
ThaFuzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an LS400......

Alright, so I have been a car person for.....umm, yeah, long time.

I have built two award winning show cars (sport compacts), and am a bit of a canundrum, I like new, old, small, large, domestics, euros, and Asian......As long as it is tastefully done, stock or not, I like it.

I am a CHP officer, and am 27 years old, married, two boys, and a cat.

On to the meat.......

I currently drive a 2002 Audi S4, the wife drives a 2004 Acura TL, I have a 74chevy pickup fast, but is a project, I also have a 2003 Turbo Dodge Neon though its sold and awaiting shipment.

So, I am considering a project/daily/comfort car........

There is a 1990 LS400 locally for sale, Pearl White with stock chromies, and peanut butter interior.........the best part, the owner only wants $4,000, and it only has 66,000 miles!

I drove it today and I am in love! rides like butter, quieter than my wifes 04 TL, not very fast, but not really looking for that. The car is IMMACULATE, inside and out. Doesn't leak a drop of anything, and the A/C is ice cold.

I am quite impressed by this nearly 20 year old car, and I have given the guy a deposit, so........

Here's what I would like to hear from you guys.........give me your worst stories about your cars, lay it on thick, tell me what your car has done to you, or what you hate about it.

I am a big part of online communities for cars I own, and if I purchase this one, I plan on being a big part of this community.

I promise never to post stupid threads with questions like.....

"Where can I get a madd tyte **** yo!?"

or...

"Will dub-4's fit on dis ryde!?"

or...

"Where can I get a chrome EVERYTHING!?"

I also promise to read before posting a thread that has been answered many times (I know how to use the search function).

Thanks guys, hope this community is as mature as the cars it represents.

Chris
Old 06-26-08, 10:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus, We hope you Enjoy your stay

personally, 4grand is closing in on 95-97 money, but for the mileage its a good price.

what style are you planning on going witht he car? VIp/EXE?
Old 06-26-08, 10:44 PM
ThaFuzz
Driver School Candidate

I would probably lean towards the VIP style, I like all the pics of the big bodies here with the 19-20" vip style wheels nearly rubbing the fenders, I'm sure they are bagged or whatnot, but I will probably be headed in that direction. I'm digging the hammerhead looking, brushed aluminum style wheels on these cars, just can't find many pics of them in pearl white.......even though I prefer black, this one is just in too good of shape, I don't think I can pass on it.
Old 06-27-08, 12:43 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

as a tip i wouldnt recco 20s for a 1st gen, the cars seem too look weird with them, 19s as high as i would go

my 2LS is on 20s

where in cali are you?
Old 06-27-08, 05:10 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had 2 early Ls's. no horror stories at all and i've had over 100k on both of htem. with those kind of miles on yours, i'd think that as long as you do factory maintenance, you'll be in great shape.
on my current LS, the front main is leaking and i have an a/c sensor going bad where it turns off the compressor at weird times. that's it though.
Old 06-27-08, 05:40 AM
93lexES300
Driver

I would not hesitate to get the car. I bough a 91 that just turned 100k and it's like a new car. I also paid a littl more than you'd begetting this one for. You really can't go wrong with the LS, even the first gen unlike most cars, was overengineered.
I'm also a car guy, as a've gone through over 20 cars in the last 12 years, only because I wanted to experience their different personalities. From a nissan Pathfinder to a Lotus Esprit, I've enjoyed them all.
**Note** Don't buy a Brittish car.
Old 06-27-08, 09:47 AM
ThaFuzz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
as a tip i wouldnt recco 20s for a 1st gen, the cars seem too look weird with them, 19s as high as i would go

my 2LS is on 20s

where in cali are you?

I will most likely stick with 19's only for the ride quality over 20's, maybe even 18's.

Beautiful car, you've kept it really clean.

I live in central California, near Fresno.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-28-08 at 08:04 PM. Reason: remove quote
Old 06-27-08, 11:55 AM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VIP police car ftw! hehe.
Well, not really it's just a Toyota Avalon. But it looked cool.
Old 06-27-08, 01:27 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that would be sweet.^
Old 06-27-08, 01:40 PM
FLIPMOE
Pole Position

First and foremost welcome to Club Lexus. To answer your question, the worst thing about my car right now is the EGR pipe being crack, passenger seat belt being lazy wont retract, but everything else works perfectly. I did all the maintainance, drop the car, and put staggered wheels.
Old 06-27-08, 01:49 PM
ThaFuzz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLIPMOE
First and foremost welcome to Club Lexus. To answer your question, the worst thing about my car right now is the EGR pipe being crack, passenger seat belt being lazy wont retract, but everything else works perfectly. I did all the maintainance, drop the car, and put staggered wheels.

Love the wheels!

Do you have a color version of that pic?

Also, what are you lowered on, and what make are the wheels, along with offsets, and sizes please?

Thanks!

Nice car.
Old 06-27-08, 08:02 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey FUZZ, as a new 1990 LS owner myself I have to say I love it even more then the 1992 ES3 that I had, and I loved the ES! This car was way ahead of it's time and the introduction us in the USA to luxury with a freekin' capitol "L" for LEXUS! The 1st gen LS has really earned my respect, she runs like a clock with over 250K.

This is how she was when I got her from my pops! He was the first owner, purchased new in late 1989, one of the first Lexus sold in our area.

Last edited by L_Sport; 06-27-08 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 08:10 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I'd go for it. $4k sounds like a reasonable price. I paid $6k for a 91 with 76k miles on it from the original owner that I knew. It had all maintenance records and was always serviced by the dealer.

At $4k, even if it has a couple of the more common ailments I think its a good deal. "Some" of the most common problems are:

Steering rack or power steering pump leaks; vibration problems in older vehicles that are typically caused by worn suspension bushings, motor mounts, transmission mounts, or the propeller shaft/carrier bearing. In early years, including the vehicle your looking at, most of the time the climate control/clock LED display located above the radio burns out (easy fix as a DIY if the previous owner hasn't already done it). Other than that, its the typical problems you'd expect to have with an aging vehicle given it's 18 years old.

You'll want to check out this web site as well. It's a great resource for DIY info on the LS model including the items mentioned above...
http://www.lexls.com/

Lastly, I think almost everyone would agree here that the engine and transmission on these vehicles is extremely bullet-proof when properly maintained.

I own four Lexus vehicles including the 91LS, 08GX, 08ES, 05IS... Every time I drive the 91 I end up with a smile on my face. It's a cool car that ages gracefully and continues to impress me because it is so well built and has held together so well after 17 years.

Jim
Old 06-27-08, 08:55 PM
ThaFuzz
Driver School Candidate

I currently have the car so I could look it over for the next couple of days. I drove it 40 miles home........WOW what a car!. I can't find a single flaw, I looked underneath it, no oil residue of any sort, no leaks (except the AC condensation tube MAN IS THAT AC COLD!), the radio, and climate displays are perfect. I just can't find anything bad to say about it!

I think it will be mine!

Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-08, 08:44 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThaFuzz
I currently have the car so I could look it over for the next couple of days. I drove it 40 miles home........WOW what a car!. I can't find a single flaw, I looked underneath it, no oil residue of any sort, no leaks (except the AC condensation tube MAN IS THAT AC COLD!), the radio, and climate displays are perfect. I just can't find anything bad to say about it!

I think it will be mine!

Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it.

Dude, from everythings I've seen you write about this car, it looks like a steal! "IMMACULATE", lowwwww milages, great color combo and ONLY $4K???? Go for it!!

Quick Reply: Considering an LS400......