LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 04:24 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edtbjon
Next stupid question. I've seen LexLS tutorial on how to swap the 8" sub. But I can only find some sporadic info on how (and if it's possible) to drop in a 10" subwoofer into the original hole without messing up the trunk etc too much. Does anyone have any info/help/good links?
(I do know that it should be an "open air" type speaker and I found a high quality swedish one: "DLS OA". It's just a matter of the size.)

//Björn
i was planning on doing this but in the end i just don't see it fitting under the factory grill and/or sealing up well (key in infinite baffle setups).

nice choice of sub (i may use one as well depending on how things go). supposedly a little lacking on output but high sound quality. another thing to consider is they are 8 ohm so amping is a must.
Old 07-29-09, 11:58 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
i was planning on doing this but in the end i just don't see it fitting under the factory grill and/or sealing up well (key in infinite baffle setups).

nice choice of sub (i may use one as well depending on how things go). supposedly a little lacking on output but high sound quality. another thing to consider is they are 8 ohm so amping is a must.
Yes, I know that it has to be sealed up well. As I just bought the car, I thought that it would be the same as in the LexLS tutorial, but no. The brake light housing and the sub cover are two different things on the -95. But I think that there is space enough for a 10", so I recon I'll have a go at it. Nice little weekend project, please note that I didn't say "this weekend".
I already have an amp for the sub, so that's no problem. (... and I found a good spot for the amp: Beside the spare wheel (where either side will do, on the right side is the phone ECU which will be ripped out or the left side which is empty).)

//Björn

Last edited by edtbjon; 08-24-09 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-19-09, 01:30 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Switch AC control and Stereo

I switched them so my new double din will be in a higher position and easier to operate.
Attached Thumbnails Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)-stereo-wood-001.jpg  
Old 09-19-09, 02:29 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

looks a lot better with the wood. the fitment on the ac portion would probably bother me but it's not too bad.
Old 10-12-09, 07:46 PM
polobai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that the metra double din kit for the 95-2000 ls?
Old 10-19-09, 06:55 PM
dj_hp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexkost
I switched them so my new double din will be in a higher position and easier to operate.
It looks 10x more classy than the OEM trim. Where did you get this trim from?
Old 10-28-09, 10:20 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

k i have a very simple system in my 400. when i got it the PO had replaced the factory sub with a JL 8w3 which sounded ok. but honestly a freeair sub sounds much too sloppy for me.
i'd like to say im an audiophile in respect that i install stereo systems for a living going on 6 years now... but i cannot say that the equipment i am using in my car is worthy of my ear... however, my point to make is that with the right install u can make most anything sound decent for the average ear.

so heres whats im rollin with as of today..

molding the dash kit a bit.. i didnt want someone to just stick some keys in the side and jack my $400 stereo. also i hate the look of the cheap kits and trim rings and what not...
alpine cda-9855

front speakers are some eclipse 4" handme downs i got froma customer. i plan on doin some focal KF's in the front and modding the door panel to show em off. and for the record... focals are nice but not the best speaker out there.. although last week i put the $1200 pair in a honda and it sounded amazingly clear on opera and jazz after i eq'd it.. gettin off topic.

rear speakers... stock. i rarely run rear speaks.. never hear em anyway.

sub and amp i got for $150 from a friend and decided to upgrade that JL 8" which is now in my home theatre setup.

my trunk as of now.. when i get better equipment i'll flush the amp into the side panel.. thinkin i might do JL HD amps.. one on each side of the trunk.

and a side shot of the box... i made it as shallow as possible so had to stretch some fleece and use some glass. didnt wanna give up much trunk space but wanted to do something that looks nice.

thats all for now.
Old 10-28-09, 09:21 PM
Oliverted
Driver School Candidate

Default I have 1999 Ls

My question is am I stuck with a din deck because of size issues or will a double din fit ? I really like the eclipse double din units . some install pics would be great if there are any out there .
thanks for all your help
Old 10-29-09, 08:24 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

with an LS you can do a double din just need the right dash kit and/or installer.
the metra dash kit you need is model # 95-8153 for a double din.
Old 10-30-09, 05:11 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

nice fiberglass work nervekiller. simple and very clean work. nicely done
Old 10-30-09, 08:58 AM
spooze
Driver

my stock radio only plays one station. when i change the station, it remains on the same station if that makes sence, the numbers change but the station doesnt. anyone have a clue?
Old 10-30-09, 09:21 AM
nervekiler
Rookie

spooze sounds likes its broken. time to upgrade

thanks li ls4 this week i might expirament with ports on the box to try and get a lil more output. if that dont work then i'll seal it back up and its bigger amp time.

thinkin about makin boxes at work for the car and then maybe tryin to unload em here on clublexus.. specially seemin how its so dead at work this month it'll give me somethin to do. anyone interested?

Last edited by nervekiler; 10-30-09 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-08-09, 09:54 AM
runnerjeff
Driver School Candidate

Default Subwoofers

I had pretty good luck with replacing the stock 8 on the back dash with a fiberglass box that sits underneath the back dash, built to hold a 10" Pioneer Sub, and I mounted the amps on the underside of the back dash. This allowed me to keep the entire trunk available (I can fit a full side road bike in it with the front tire off), and still get a much better bass environment. I had to add some damping material to the back dash to stop rattles. Also replaced all of the speakers with Boston Acoustics and enlarged the stock size with some door work. Not a tough job, but very time consuming. My main goal, aside from a deck unit change out, was to make it invisible, so I have some great stuff in it, but it looks like factory and I still have a trunk. Jeff
Old 12-27-09, 01:12 AM
FatCat23
Driver School Candidate

I need to change out my stock hu for another stock hu, but am having a hard time figuring out how to get the unit out.

Where do you start the disassembly process?

Working on my daughters 96 LS 400.

or point me to a tutorial, diagram etc.

THX
Old 12-28-09, 08:18 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexkost
There's a a real nice stock looking install! Are those wood trims all stock?

Quick Reply: Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)