LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 09:39 AM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not fortunate enough to have the Nakamichi system, I had a pioneer branded unit I believe, and it was very quality sound however it wasn't loud the way I enjoy.
Old 02-09-16, 10:52 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

I disagree on the original UCF10 stock system quality. My 93 had the Nak and I got the car in 2010. Maybe everything was worn out but I found it dull absolutelyn do depth and sketchy. Wouldn't know a subwoofer existed. I've designed and installed many systems. This one was in bad need of an upgrade. SO I did
Old 02-09-16, 11:06 AM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Originally Posted by StevieA
I disagree on the original UCF10 stock system quality. My 93 had the Nak and I got the car in 2010. Maybe everything was worn out but I found it dull absolutelyn do depth and sketchy. Wouldn't know a subwoofer existed. I've designed and installed many systems. This one was in bad need of an upgrade. SO I did
Exactly my point. Quality is OK, but the system isn't anywhere near loud and in the upper volume it is very dull and distorted. However if you are an audio installer like myself or yourself you are a very big sound quality guy I presume? If so you understand where I am coming from
Old 02-09-16, 02:05 PM
Leeroy
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The point should be that the Nakamichi factory system is great for a factory system. A well-designed aftermarket system will eat the Nak' for lunch.
Old 02-09-16, 03:37 PM
luelexus92
Driver School Candidate

Im thinking of placing the JLW7 thats taking up my garage in the back of my Lexus. Mine came with Pioneer System I replaced the foam surround on the factory sub but I want the 12 in the trunk as well. I know the answer might be in this tread but im wondering whats the best way to keep the original stereo and have my 12 powered. I should just buy a head unit but i want to keep it stock looking. I know i could just run a tape/aux to play music but running the rcas to the amp is my question. How and where is everyone running their power and grounds from? I might just spend more time on this tread catching up and find my answers.
Old 02-12-16, 02:13 PM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a '92 with Nak and once I replaced the torn subwoofer the sound was pretty damn good. I have since replaced the head unit and it's better than my 2015 Kia Optima. The problem is the wind noise ruins it.
Old 05-17-16, 12:53 AM
moe47
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys. I had a Pioneer AVH-X8750 installed in my 2000. The headunit is neat, loving the Apple Carplay. But I feel a loss of sound quality from the factory speakers. The install was done without the wiring harness, so some splicing and soldering. The factory amp was bypassed, so I had a spare JBL amp that was lying around fitted instead. Currently there isn't a subwoofer.

I don't know how to explain this 'loss off sound quality'. But when I had the stock stereo, and disconnected the subwoofer (partially blown), the speakers were good enough to listen to music for hours without getting irritated. But now it sounds like there is hardly any low frequencies, making it kinda tinny.

The stock stereo was Premium, non Nak.
Old 05-21-16, 08:21 AM
SeanSinha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moe47
Hi guys. I had a Pioneer AVH-X8750 installed in my 2000. The headunit is neat, loving the Apple Carplay. But I feel a loss of sound quality from the factory speakers. The install was done without the wiring harness, so some splicing and soldering. The factory amp was bypassed, so I had a spare JBL amp that was lying around fitted instead. Currently there isn't a subwoofer.

I don't know how to explain this 'loss off sound quality'. But when I had the stock stereo, and disconnected the subwoofer (partially blown), the speakers were good enough to listen to music for hours without getting irritated. But now it sounds like there is hardly any low frequencies, making it kinda tinny.

The stock stereo was Premium, non Nak.
Yeah. The stock stereo was tuned for the speakers in your doors. The new head unit isn't tuned for your car. What I would do is use the Auto-Tuning feature of your head unit so that it can equalize your speakers properly and go from there. Upgrading your speakers would probably help.

Adding a subwoofer will help restore a lot of the bass you are missing.
Old 05-22-16, 05:37 AM
moe47
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SeanSinha
Yeah. The stock stereo was tuned for the speakers in your doors. The new head unit isn't tuned for your car. What I would do is use the Auto-Tuning feature of your head unit so that it can equalize your speakers properly and go from there. Upgrading your speakers would probably help.

Adding a subwoofer will help restore a lot of the bass you are missing.
Cheers Sean. The installer recommended not using Auto-EQ. But since the current setup doesn't sound satisfactory, I guess I will try auto-EQ. Also will consider a free-air woofer that will fit in the stock one's spot.
Old 05-22-16, 09:53 AM
SeanSinha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moe47
Cheers Sean. The installer recommended not using Auto-EQ. But since the current setup doesn't sound satisfactory, I guess I will try auto-EQ. Also will consider a free-air woofer that will fit in the stock one's spot.
I personally went the aftermarket amp/subwoofer route and got two Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" P1's on a P300X1 amp at 2OHM, pushing about 450W.
Old 06-17-16, 12:48 PM
hitachi
Driver School Candidate

wanted to ask. i got a 1st gen 94 ls400
ive changed the head unit and the rear door speakers..
thinking atleast the rear door speakers would improve since i changed the headunit but it still sounds the same ****ty
Old 06-17-16, 02:18 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Did or does it have the phone option?
Old 06-18-16, 12:58 PM
SeanSinha
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hitachi
wanted to ask. i got a 1st gen 94 ls400
ive changed the head unit and the rear door speakers..
thinking atleast the rear door speakers would improve since i changed the headunit but it still sounds the same ****ty
First of all, never change just the rear speakers. They matter the least in the scheme of things. Replace the front components first. An optimal soundstage doesn't have sound coming from behind you and rear speakers are for fill.

Secondly, if you're running directly off a head unit, it won't sound great.

Need more details on your setup, "a head unit and new rear door speakers" tells me nothing.
Old 06-18-16, 07:41 PM
hitachi
Driver School Candidate

ok but with new speakers wouldnt those new speakers Alone sound new? it still sounds like those speakers are the bust ones i changed out.. are u saying if i were to change the front components the rear ones will all of a sudden get fixed? the problem i have is that the speakers i changed still sound bad even if they were changed. those speakers alone. i know your talking about an all around uppgrade n that the rears make no difference as an over all.of course the fronts is what ill be hearing the most of but why would new speakers still sound like the old busted ones.. for those with first gen ls400s usually need a separate amp for the speakers just to get it to sound not tinny?
Old 06-18-16, 07:42 PM
hitachi
Driver School Candidate

does my head unit have a phone option or ?? also thanks for the reply on the other thread.. help is limited on the subject i guess but it was still pretty helpful

Quick Reply: Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)