LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 01:37 PM
moving2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate control relocation

1994 LS400. I'm trying to do an iPad mini install, but I do not want to relocate my climate control out of the center stack. I'd rather relocate the head unit to the glove compartment, and try to keep the climate control in the center stack. I'd like to move the climate control unit to the ashtray area (I will remove the entire ashtray modular piece).

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this (trimming the climate control unit, using a different, smaller climate control unit that is compatible) to move the climate control unit to this location.

Last edited by moving2; 10-19-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-31-14, 04:08 AM
young400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i've been lurking here for some time now, here's my double DIN install in my 93 400.

i ran my RCA's through the middle and i have begun running speaker cables along the sides.

I'm going to fit 5,25" speakers in the doors and 2x12" subs in the rear. problem is, i don't know how long the power cable has to be in order to get power from my battery in the front to the amp in the back. And since I'm running 0 gauge, it's a bit bulky.. And i can't run it through the inside since that will mess with my speaker cables and RCA's. I'm thinking about running it under the car, properly protected ofc, but does anyone know how long the cable has to be and have any of you routed your power underneath the car? I'm thinking about 7-8m (22-25ft). any ideas? Cheers!
Old 03-19-15, 09:03 AM
CarlB3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power cable

I upgraded the system in my daughters '95 LS400. I used the stock speakers and wiring but replaced the headunit with a double-din and the amp under the seat with a 5-channel.

I struggled with power for a while trying to find a way through the firewall. I ended up removing the inside plastic fender liner on the left front then came directly off the battery inside the left fender then after pulling a rubber cover I had access to the inside of the frame. I ran inside the chassis where it traveled freely to the rear seat area. I drilled an access hole for the wire to come out then under the carpet just below the rear seat. Then along the side of the driveshaft hump up to where the new amp was installed. It would have been easier to reach this new power cable to the trunk but I put the amp under the seat to reuse the existing speaker wires.

I read other comments here about pulling through the firewall but I found no easy access for that. I would not consider running +12v under the car. Once I re-installed the fender liner the wire is completely hidden.

I did this back in October and the system sounds fantastic but her car may be off to the salvage yard due to some plugged cats and timing belt.
Old 07-21-15, 11:17 PM
lxbru
Driver School Candidate

Looking for help on my 96. So I bought some speakers and they have two connectors to it. The old front speakers have 4 wires going into them. I'm not planning on changing the headunit (because I like having the sub / amp). How can I connect the new speakers to get the best audio quality?
Old 07-27-15, 03:22 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lxbru
Looking for help on my 96. So I bought some speakers and they have two connectors to it. The old front speakers have 4 wires going into them. I'm not planning on changing the headunit (because I like having the sub / amp). How can I connect the new speakers to get the best audio quality?
You're in the correct forum and thread. All the information is either in this thread or is linked in different answers. Browse this thread!
For myself, I've replaced the headunit, all the speakers and the amplifier(s), for which you have to allow at least a full day of time plus being handy with several tools. It was worth it though, as I now have a modern (bluetooth enabled) system with great sound and power. Btw, my Lex is a 95, also a 2'nd gen LS, wired the same way as yours.
I decided to replace the original speaker-boxes with custom-made MDF ones (as I replaced the original speakers with 6.5" speakers), If I was to do the job again, I would go with modifying the original speaker-boxes with e.g. 5.25" speakers. Finding a "balanced" though modern sound, is IMO in beefing up the bass a bit.
Old 07-27-15, 11:43 AM
lxbru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by edtbjon
You're in the correct forum and thread. All the information is either in this thread or is linked in different answers. Browse this thread!
For myself, I've replaced the headunit, all the speakers and the amplifier(s), for which you have to allow at least a full day of time plus being handy with several tools. It was worth it though, as I now have a modern (bluetooth enabled) system with great sound and power. Btw, my Lex is a 95, also a 2'nd gen LS, wired the same way as yours.
I decided to replace the original speaker-boxes with custom-made MDF ones (as I replaced the original speakers with 6.5" speakers), If I was to do the job again, I would go with modifying the original speaker-boxes with e.g. 5.25" speakers. Finding a "balanced" though modern sound, is IMO in beefing up the bass a bit.
Thanks for the info, I looked through all the pages (took a while...) but didn't find anything about the 4 wires into 2. So how did you fix that issue of the different number of wires on the speakers?
Old 08-03-15, 01:03 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lxbru
Thanks for the info, I looked through all the pages (took a while...) but didn't find anything about the 4 wires into 2. So how did you fix that issue of the different number of wires on the speakers?
Without having the speaker housing in front of me... There should be one cable (+ and -) going into the speaker housing, where the signal is split to the 4" speaker in that housing and then one wire (+ and -) goes upto in front jof the side window, where there's a small (say 1") treble speaker. ... if memory serves me right.
On that same note... (if memory... etc) I think that earlier threads with pictures about 1Gen LS400 are accurate enough for how the speakers in the doors are set up.
Old 08-30-15, 12:09 PM
DvSiR
Lead Lap

Can you put the AC unit below and the double din on top? I've seen some pictures but I was wondering how difficult that is.
Old 08-30-15, 04:47 PM
Bprakash
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 94 LS with Pioneer radio unit. I bought a used Nakamichi head unit that came from a 1993. Would I have issues with a basic swap? Is the harness the same? Please let me know your best thoughts.
Old 08-31-15, 10:01 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Bprakash
I have a 94 LS with Pioneer radio unit. I bought a used Nakamichi head unit that came from a 1993. Would I have issues with a basic swap? Is the harness the same? Please let me know your best thoughts.
Will not work. Two different systems.
Old 12-05-15, 02:53 PM
vidlev
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a beatsonic Double din dash kit for sale if anyone needs. posted over in the classifieds, but wanted to post here as well to make sure you saw it
Old 02-03-16, 10:56 PM
2GenLS4
Rookie

Default Official Sound System Thread?

I noticed there isn't an official thread for members to post their sound system mods!
I wanted to try to be the first, and if you wanna join me go ahead.

It should look a little like mine.

Head Unit: Clarion NX604 (Navi)
Speakers: JL Audio ZR650-CSi
Tweeters and Crossover: My speakers came as a component kit.
Mounts: I used the factory speaker boxes with a little fabrication, cutting, and some wooden speaker spacers they clear the door panel by a couple mm.
Amplifier(s): JL Audio 400/4v2
Pheonix Gold TI 1000.2
Subwoofer(s): Pheonix Gold Elite 12D2 x2
Wiring: Stinger 0G to a distribution block with two Stinger 4G to each amplifier. Monster cable RCA's to each amp. Monster cable 10G speaker wire for Subwoofers, and stock speaker wires for door speakers.
Subwoofer Box: Spare tire well custom sealed enclosure

If I'm forgetting something thats a crucial part to a sound system please correct me and leave your sound systems!
Old 02-04-16, 01:31 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The best sound system in a Gen 1 LS400 is the one the factory installed. If it is all working correct it will blow out your ear drums. There is no need for drilling holes and scabbing in some aftermarket system. It is a waste of money and time.
Old 02-04-16, 08:41 AM
2GenLS4
Rookie

I would like to disagree with you.
I am a huge audiophile and love spind quality. Unfortunately our stock systems don't have the proper sound quality that I want. I like my fully built and tuned system much more. I feel as if its a great investment.
Old 02-04-16, 09:35 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

+1 on the original UCF10 stock system if it was the Nak. I had the Nak in my 90. it was goddamn good sounding. cd player went so I replaced it with the nicest aftermarket unit I could find. never sounded as good as the original

Quick Reply: Ls400 audio setup thread (The Mother thread)