LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Broke Radiator when Installing Passenger Headlight - 1995

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 10:15 AM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke Radiator when Installing Passenger Headlight - 1995

Hey all... ok this might not be possible but I would like to try before installing an entirely new radiator in.

Last night I was installing the front passenger lower beam headlight and bumped the hose feeding the radiator and overflow tank...

It is a metal hose that goes from the overflow and curves around the headlight area and into the radiator. At the end of the metal hose, just before it goes into the radiator there is a rubber hose connecting the two. The rubber hose has two clips on it clamping it down... on the part connecting to the radiator the hose fits over top a little plastic piece which is physically attached to the radiator... which I guess was severely corroded as it snapped off very easily and caused a leak and now that the piece is gone, I can't fit the hose on properly without it leaking.

I called Lexus and they said I need a new radiator.

Is there any workaround like cementing a piece in there to fit or something or is a new radiator the only way this will be fixable?

I have edited a picture to show sort of where this occured... the covers are on, but the red line is the metal hose, and the circle is where the clip, rubber part snapped off:

Any help, thoughts, comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-08, 11:57 AM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to a radiotor shop they should be able to brake it off completely drill some new threads and screw in a new nipple with some lock tight to reconect your hose. Thats what I would try first sucks if you have to replace a radiotor for such a small issue. Good luck keep us posted.
Old 06-16-08, 02:29 PM
Blaizze
Driver School Candidate

Well heres the updated situation... My friend brought over a small piece... solid plastic tube...

So we shaved down the break off connecting to the radiator, and then widened the hole with a drill to create enough room to insert this plastic tube. Then we glued it down with plumbers glue, which is drying now... when I get back, we are going to connect the hose overtop of it and clamp it, hoping that it stays.

Question - The new tube will be a smaller opening, so not as much fluid will pass through into the hose going to the overflow area... Is this going to be a problem or should it be fine? If the connections don't leak that is...

Thanks... appreciate the help
Old 06-16-08, 03:55 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with the fix. if it doesn't hold, replacement radiators aren't too particularly expensive for the model so you'll be ok
Old 06-23-08, 08:29 PM
Shadeed
Driver School Candidate

J-B Weld will hold better than plumbers glue-- just give it overnight to dry properly