LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Problems with wireless locks, trunk release, steering wheel retraction, ect

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 08:55 PM
REDRAIDER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with wireless locks, trunk release, steering wheel retraction, ect

My ’95 LS400 has lost some functionality. Current mileage is around 156k. All fuses have been checked and none are blown. Here are some of the symptoms that I have noticed. Any ideas on what to check to do more diagnostics or how to repair would be appreciated.

Wireless lock system will not work. Neither the doors nor the trunk will open when the wireless buttons are pressed on the key chain.. However, I do hear a “beep” when the trunk button is pushed on the key chain. A second wireless key chain has been tested with the same results.

With ignition in the off position.
  • The door lock switch does not function to lock or unlock the doors.
  • The trunk switch will not function
However when ignition is in run position the door lock and trunk switch does function ok.

When ignition is turned off, the steering wheel does not retract up and out of the way. . . remaining in the same position. Also when the key is turned on, the steering wheel does not move to the preset position.

Dome light does not come on when the door is opened (switch is in the correct position)

Head lights do not shut off when the ignition is turned off and the driver side door is opened.

Some additional history on the problem. I noticed the problems when I last changed the oil. I checked the fuses and found one that had blown. I replaced the fuse and everything seemed to return to normal. However after a short period of time 24-48 hours (I’m not exactly sure how long) the symptoms which I describe above began occurring again. Stangely, as mentioned fuses have been checked in both fuse boxes and no fuses are blown.
Old 05-31-08, 11:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

how did you check the fuse...?
pull out the Radio and DOME fuses and replace them anyways, sounds like a short in the circuit somewheres.
Old 06-01-08, 12:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had all of those fail and it was a simple dome fuse.
Old 06-02-08, 01:13 AM
drifto808
Rookie

yea check your fuses...make sure its good..use a meter..its sometimes hard to see the break in the fuse..
Old 06-03-08, 08:46 PM
REDRAIDER
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed at Last

I got it fixed. It was a blown fuse. A tiny, hairline break in the filament. . Barely even visible. Using a voltmeter would have been the way to go to check continuity but my meter is broken. Interestingly the fuse that was blown is not one that I would have looked at based on the symptoms I listed previously. The blown fuse is listed as SEC-HORN which is described at the "theft deterrent system" in the owners manual. So bottom line is keep trying. I am so glad it is not a short in the electrical system. It is sweet to have the wireless lock system functioning again. It's easy to get spoiled by that feature. . . . . THANKS for the help and encouraging me to look AGAIN!
Old 02-19-11, 12:58 PM
sakano
Driver School Candidate

Cool Audio, trunk, dome light and garage door opener fuse

I just had my keyless entry, trunk and dome light, garage door openers and my stereo system stop working on me just because I checked the truck light bulb. I had no clue that one 10 amp fuse under the hood that activates the dome, trunk light and keyless entry was the culprit. When I replaced the burned out fuse, everything started working!

Thanks to the forum, I was able to replace the brake light behind the rear window. The poster (sorry I don't remember his name) had put up clear instructions with photos. Thanks to all you guys and gals, we get great info at this site. Keep it up!

1998 LS400 only 34K miles

Last edited by sakano; 02-19-11 at 01:03 PM.