LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Drove a ES350 loaner today

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 12:02 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drove a ES350 loaner today

Lexus gave me an ES350 service loaner today when I took it for the timing belt replacement. I thought it would be about the same as the ES330 as far as driving went...not a chance. I gave it some gas and man was I suprised. That car literally threw me back. Maybe it was the FWD helping me, but I could sware its faster then my LS400. The numbers on the internet prove it no real justice. The car handled pretty well for its size, but lacked the RWD.

Can anyone else comments on this?
Old 05-24-08, 12:20 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those 3.5l motors are strong. even my 07 sienna(3.5l) stayed side to side with a 04 mustang GT automatic from 45-90mph. i also have an rx330, i drove a rx350 and just by tapping the gas i felt a big difference. i really like the new toyota motors. tundra, tacoma all impressive in their class
Old 05-24-08, 04:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

272hp 0-60 in ~6.8s isnt shabby for a car

it also has relatively short gearing to help it off the line, something thats gunna feel different to you coming from our long legged LS autoboxes.
Old 05-24-08, 07:34 AM
McSwine
Driver

My wifes RAV4 with the 3.5 V6 will fly.
Old 05-24-08, 10:44 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i personally love the new ES styling.. the previous was was .. no
Old 05-24-08, 12:39 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Lexus gave me an ES350 service loaner today when I took it for the timing belt replacement. I thought it would be about the same as the ES330 as far as driving went...not a chance. I gave it some gas and man was I suprised. That car literally threw me back. Maybe it was the FWD helping me, but I could sware its faster then my LS400. The numbers on the internet prove it no real justice. The car handled pretty well for its size, but lacked the RWD.

Can anyone else comments on this?

quick question.. how do u like your denali?
Old 05-24-08, 04:38 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The ES330 was a piece of crap , i hated the way it looked and even worse the way it drove.
I currently have a es350 loaner for the weekend which is my 4th i think.
It is years ahead of the last one . It drives properly, the transmission is not over thinking shifts and the motor has enough power to hold a gear with drive by wire. Drive by wire should never be used on low power cars as the computer can never react fast enough to make the needed gear changes.

That said , it is too bad Toyota has lowered the standards they set in the 90's of impeccable finish , materials and just overall quality workmanship to provide years of reliable motoring.

I have been told by many a tech at Toyota/Lexus that they are not built as well and have more problems than they used to . I discussed it and thought it just being a higher volume of vehicles being sold.
Then this week i had a Camry loaner , it just felt cheaper but no big deal. Then when i opened the door and looked at the fender gap it had Styrofoam sealing it. As i looked over the car i noticed more and more cost reduction implementations being applied to the vehicles. The sounds deadening was no longer applied liberally and evenly , but sporadically and clumped like. It has double sided tape holding trim instead of the customary plastic grommet built into the weather stripping. The noise level is similar except the creaks and rattles are starting. The ES350 i am driving today has 25 000km as well.

So , all in all they don't build them the way they used to .
Old 05-24-08, 07:02 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shlomboy
quick question.. how do u like your denali?
The denali is OK. I dont like the interior at all just because its all plastic. Power is great and sounds mean. Drives like a typical SUV, floaty and tight steering.

When your used to a well biult lexus...American Cars dont do. I think the Mazda6 actually is built better than the Denali...but that apples to oranges.
Old 05-24-08, 07:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

the es350 is a pretty good car, and fast too, not ferrari fast, but you know what i mean, but i got two questions for ya, are you doing the waterpump at the same time? and how much is it costing you to do al the work froom the dealer?
Old 05-24-08, 07:33 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

get the waterpump and thermostat done.. i learned my lesson already
Old 05-24-08, 07:35 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
The denali is OK. I dont like the interior at all just because its all plastic. Power is great and sounds mean. Drives like a typical SUV, floaty and tight steering.

When your used to a well biult lexus...American Cars dont do. I think the Mazda6 actually is built better than the Denali...but that apples to oranges.

iv driven an 08 denali.. thats one MEAN truck.. probably because i have a lot of love for trucks and suv's...
loved the full wood grain they have on the steering wheel
Old 05-24-08, 08:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The ES 350 is a nice car. Like Sk mentioned, I noticed the current ES felt economized. There are nice touches though the earlier generations seemed to have nicer build materials.

Lucky you having the ES. While mine is in the body shop having the rear bumper painted, I'm driving a rental Dodge Avenger. POS is saying it positively. The main save is regular gas and about 30 MPG.
Old 05-25-08, 05:47 AM
timer00
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our real estate agent for the house we bought who is a friend of my wifes has a ES350 and drove us in it a few times I noticed it wasn't all that great interior quality wise compared to my LS. Found some hard plastic panels on the doors and the leather just didn't do it for me felt thin for some reason. I am sure it gets up and goes and all. Just my impressions
Old 05-25-08, 09:56 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota is hoping all the prior build quality editorials will keep resounding in people head so they will never know it changed. Most of us only know because this is not our first venture in the field of Lexus . It is still a good quality of build materials compared to others ,don't get me wrong . They just are no longer trying to catch and surpass the competition. They have passed them and can now focus the money they spent on creating an image for performance and styling.
Old 05-25-08, 02:54 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
Toyota is hoping all the prior build quality editorials will keep resounding in people head so they will never know it changed. Most of us only know because this is not our first venture in the field of Lexus . It is still a good quality of build materials compared to others ,don't get me wrong . They just are no longer trying to catch and surpass the competition. They have passed them and can now focus the money they spent on creating an image for performance and styling.

I totally agree, I was sitting in a new LS and thought it was an ES for a second, until I got out, things just seemed cheaper. My glovebox feels like it weighs 20 pounds, the new LS, feather light. Paper thin wood pieces in the new LS, 1/8" thick in mine. The leather in my 99 seems about two to three times thicker. Also, I was surprised that the MSRP for a 2008 LS is only a little more than the MSRP of my 1999. So there must be some serious cost cutting, or the margins were fatter in 1999. I hope this is not the start of the mistake Mercedes made in the middle 90's when the bean counters took over and not the engineers. My dad's 1989 560 SL is built like a sherman tank. Almost 20 years and no creaks or squeaks, and it's a convertible!
I hope Lexus does not loose it's way. Time will tell how long my 99 lives, but I intend to keep it a loooong time. I suspect my car will have a longer life than a new LS.

Quick Reply: Drove a ES350 loaner today