LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice needed regarding service (Lexus dealer quote)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 09:03 AM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice needed regarding service (Lexus dealer quote)

I took my car into the local Lexus dealerships to get my 94 LS's power steering fluid replaced and rack screen cleaned (which took care of the noise while turning the steering wheel), but they also found several other problems. I am listing the problems, proposed solutions and quotes for each:

1. Engine coolant contaminated with transmission fluid, transmission fluid contaminated with coolant ($350 for trans and diff service [2 drains of trans fluid], $165 for coolant flush). How would this happen, and if the radiator is cracked, what kind of bill am I looking at?

How serious are the following problems?

2. Transmission shift shaft seal fallen out and missing (Replace trans shift shaft seal $195)
3. Engine sub oil pan and engine dipstick tube leaking oil (R/R dipstick O ring $130)
4. Rear carrier bushings broken (R/R rear carrier bushings $725) What is this?

Thanks

Edit: My main concern is keeping my car in top condition, but I don't want to get ripped off. I am also concerned that if I get this service done at anywhere other than a Lexus dealer they might not know how to fix it. For example, they might dump generic transmission fluid into it when it requires T-IV. Can anyone recommend a good shop in the Bay Area or Sacramento area that knows Lexus and has good prices?

Last edited by rsg; 05-13-08 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 08:48 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Does anyone care to give their opinion?
Old 05-15-08, 09:51 AM
demonboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this mechanic quoted me $520 on radiator replacement. Replacing a radiator should not cost that much. As for a coolant flush, that sounds expensive considering it is not had to do. Im not sure if your a DIY guy, but I am and I find lexls.com as a good source for DIY projects (coolant flush is a tutorial on the website). I would find those problems not very immediate, but I would still shop around for cheaper prices. There are many auto shops that can fix these problems. According to this lexus mechanic I spoke to, he uses the same manual as the dealership does, so I sure they would know how to fix these problems. But not replaceing that seal could lead to shifting problems in the future which would cost more money to rebuild the trans. So I would look around for a shop that could fix these problems at a cheaper price.
Old 05-15-08, 11:45 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with demonboy. it's just common knowledge that the dealership charges way more than a private mechanic. You know what the problems are, now just find a reputable mechanic to do the work.
Old 05-15-08, 02:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Where in CA are you located? With as many members, there are shop recco's we can relay for you.

The dealer always comes up with a handful of things to be done.
Old 05-15-08, 03:26 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
Where in CA are you located? With as many members, there are shop recco's we can relay for you.

The dealer always comes up with a handful of things to be done.
I am in San Francisco but I can travel anywhere in the Bay Area and Sacramento area.
Old 05-15-08, 03:27 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by demonboy
this mechanic quoted me $520 on radiator replacement. Replacing a radiator should not cost that much. As for a coolant flush, that sounds expensive considering it is not had to do. Im not sure if your a DIY guy, but I am and I find lexls.com as a good source for DIY projects (coolant flush is a tutorial on the website). I would find those problems not very immediate, but I would still shop around for cheaper prices. There are many auto shops that can fix these problems. According to this lexus mechanic I spoke to, he uses the same manual as the dealership does, so I sure they would know how to fix these problems. But not replaceing that seal could lead to shifting problems in the future which would cost more money to rebuild the trans. So I would look around for a shop that could fix these problems at a cheaper price.
Thanks for the advice! I want to drive this car for many more years, so I will try to get it done as soon as possible, but without breaking the bank.