LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Who here has re-dyed their leather?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 11:33 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who here has re-dyed their leather?

I want to hear some positive feedback and where did you get it from?

Last thing I need is sitting in my seats on a hot day and having some dye rub off on my clothes...

Did a search but didn't really see any concrete evidence (ala pics).

Thanks guys.
Old 05-02-08, 02:03 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will tell you with regards to re-dye'ing the leather, I had my leather arm rests (front) redone after I was quoted several hundred dollars to install new leather. The leather color was rubbing off from normal wear. The guy prepped the arm rests by sanding them lightly and then wiping them with alcohol. He then matched the color with some kind of flexible leather paint. It has been over one year and they look new. I use leather conditioner just like before. I paid $100.00 for both.

He also said he does seats and the price would be cheaper than going to leatherseats.com for example.

I was blown away when he painted the leather - it is pretty common I guess. It definitely worked and I would spend another $100 any day to have it done again.
Old 05-02-08, 03:49 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my car detailed about a month go and asked about the bottom section of the back seat which was peeling. I asked what could be done to fix it. He said the previous owner had the seat dyed, and the part peeling off is the dye. Would you recommend having it re-dyed to resolve the peeling issue?
Old 05-02-08, 07:21 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder how long ago your seat was done - that is the million dollar question I guess. Also was the seat taken care of with lanolin, etc. to keep the leather soft?

The guy who did my arm rests said he also does seats. If the leather has worn through leaving a hole then he must fill it. I suppose it is similar to working on paint, etc.

I would probably not go that route on my seats even though he says it is durable and is a good alternative to the leatherseats.com type solution. I guess I am a skeptic.

I would suggest calling a similar guy in your area - maybe ask the detail shop or a speed shop as that is how I found my guy. The guy who did mine does work for the BMW and Jaguar shops in Houston. He certainly proved my skeptical side wrong on the arm rests that is for sure. The seats however are obviously a more high traffic area and I just don't know how durable it would actually prove to be. For my car, I would select new covers unless I could get a deal maybe $100 or less for each seat.