LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Getting OEM struts installed on '91 LS400 - What else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 09:37 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Smile Getting OEM struts installed on '91 LS400 - What else?

Right now the struts are absolutely shot. I feel every bump in the road.

I can get OEM struts for $496 including tax (front and back) from a friend of a friend who works at Toyota.

I can get (4) inner and outer tie-rod ends for $66 shipped from ebay.

I can also get (2) front sway bar links for $42 shipped from ebay.

I know a gentleman who will install the struts for $200, not sure how much extra to charge him to install tie-rod ends and sway bar links?

The dilemma is this. Money is an issue, I know strut mounts are recommended but some say I can use current mounts if they are in good shape. The problem with that is, the strut mounts I can find on ebay won't be on hand if the mechanic has everything already off. I'm worried I might end up needing the mounts if the current ones are bad.

Also, what else should I change? I've heard insulator/isolators/bumpers/boots are recommended but they are very expensive through Lexus. Is it ok to just get struts/tie-rod ends/sway bar links installed and still get that Lexus soft feel back?

I welcome all opinions from you Lexus junkies.
Old 04-30-08, 09:53 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest to get KYB GR2 oem struts instead of getting from toyota. I got mine for around 300 shipped on ebay.
Old 04-30-08, 09:59 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I used the old strut mounts since they were not worn. Not sure why you would have to buy new ones unless the rubber is completely worn through. Do you know if your inner / outer tie rods / sway bar end links are bad? That is, did you jack the car up and grab them to see if there was excessive play?

$200 seems fait to change all struts as I helped my brother-in-law Saturday do his ES model - more difficult than my LS.
Old 04-30-08, 11:04 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by j stuff
I would suggest to get KYB GR2 oem struts instead of getting from toyota. I got mine for around 300 shipped on ebay.
These are Lexus factory struts. Normally cost around $600 but getting a discount. I have done much research and have heard mixed results. Some love the Gr2's and say it's great for handling and they feel great on the road. Some say Gr2's are too stiff and stay with OEM if you want the Lexus "soft ride". So instead of taking a chance of not being totally satisfied with the Gr2's I figure, why not spend an extra $200 and never look back.

I for one want the soft, "pillowy" ride. That's what stood out for me the most when I first test-drove this car over a year ago. It felt like heaven just driving on the freeway. I miss that. Sorry to get all fluffy.

thanks for the advice though. How do the GR2's feel on the road. Is it a soft ride? Is it a different driving experience?
Old 04-30-08, 11:09 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by steveski
I used the old strut mounts since they were not worn. Not sure why you would have to buy new ones unless the rubber is completely worn through. Do you know if your inner / outer tie rods / sway bar end links are bad? That is, did you jack the car up and grab them to see if there was excessive play?

$200 seems fait to change all struts as I helped my brother-in-law Saturday do his ES model - more difficult than my LS.
thanks. Maybe I'll just take the chance that the mounts are ok. I don't know if the tie-rod ends or sway bar links are bad but I figured it might be a good idea while the mechanic is down there to change out a few things. Do you think it could be overkill? I'd hate to replace parts that didn't need replacing.

As far as the $200 installation fee being expensive, it was roughly $400 less than what a local shop wanted to charge for install.

I figure $500 for struts, $100 for tie-rod ends/sway bar links - $200 for install - Total = $800 for hopefully that wonderful Lexus softness on the road.

Plus alignment of course.
Old 04-30-08, 12:31 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if you're mechanically inclined AND feel confident you can work on your suspension, you can replace the shocks yourself. I'd keep the shock mounts if they show no sign of cracking - and on the LS400, the shocks aren't a pivoting point like on a MacPherson design - the shock is mounted onto the lower control arm - so there's no ball bearings in the shock mount to worry about. I'd change the shock boots if they are torn up.

I just did my rears last night, I now have GR-2s on all four corners. My ride is now firmed up, I also have 55-series Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires and Daizen polyurethane front control arm bushings too.
Old 04-30-08, 01:30 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

True, changing the struts is not too hard if you have the tools and the time. I helped my wife's brother change his (KYB) on his ES 300 and it was more difficult than my LS. It took us about 3 hours since we blew time on figuring out we were installing a front strut on the rear Shouldn't mix beer with mechanics.

As for the inner and outer tie rods - if they are not loose I would opt to save the money. Sounds like you have a good contact in your mechanic. I would have him jack it up and check the tie rods before you buy them. I too was going to replace mine due to the age of the car however the units are still good and tight.

My wife's brother was quoted $900 to replace just the rear units
Old 04-30-08, 05:40 PM
Nano-V8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah bro. theyre not that hard if ur a DIY type of guy. i had a tanabe kyb set up on my old LS and wrecked it and i was qouted 1200 just to swap them out and 500 at another place and some place even 300 but still was too much for me. so i decided to do it myself and was fairly simple. once u get the hang of how to do one, u can do the rest easily. lexls.com will show u how to do the front ones. check that out and c if u feel confident on doing it.

oh and the kybs arent that bad they wer nicely stiff when new but once they get broken in u'll get a comfy ride. not to stiff. looking into the tokicos too. i hear theyre cheap in price but not sure about how they ride.
Old 05-02-08, 12:25 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

are the lower ball joints tough to change out?

I hear that's a good thing to get done for these 1st generation LS400's.