LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 with suspension mystery

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 02:54 PM
sbut2001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS400 with suspension mystery

My LS400 is becoming very frustrating. It has electronic suspension. One day the ride is great, the next day (or ever a few minutes later) every bump in the road results in what seems to be bottoming out of the backend. I've read alot about how the elec. suspension models will lose their seal and leak air resulting in one side of car being lower or bumps like this. My car however has not experienced this lowering symptom. It always seems to be centered. But, all of the sudden as I'm driving along, every bump turns into a crater. I first noticed it during winter and going over some speed bumps in a parking lot. I was probably moving only 15 mph and every bump shook my teeth. I had a mechanic drive it (not a lexus mechanic) and we could not replicate the problem. He said it was probably just due to the extreme cold. That answer worked for me because the symptom had disappeared. Now though, it's back. The problem is intermittent. It was horrible yesterday, but drove like a dream today.

I'd appreciate any insight that you might have. I hate to take it to lexus dealership and pay them $100+ for diagnosis when it doesn't always occur.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-08, 06:14 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation sbut2001, I surely feel your pain!!!!....

Originally Posted by sbut2001
My LS400 is becoming very frustrating. It has electronic suspension. One day the ride is great, the next day (or ever a few minutes later) every bump in the road results in what seems to be bottoming out of the backend. I've read alot about how the elec. suspension models will lose their seal and leak air resulting in one side of car being lower or bumps like this. My car however has not experienced this lowering symptom. It always seems to be centered. But, all of the sudden as I'm driving along, every bump turns into a crater. It first noticed it during winter and going over some speed bumps in a parking lot. I was probably moving only 15 mph and every bump shook my teeth. I had a mechanic drive it (not a lexus mechanic) and we could not replicate the problem. He said it was probably just due to the extreme cold. That answer worked for me because the symptom had disappeared. Now though, it's back. The problem is intermittent. It was horrible yesterday, but drove like a dream today.

I'd appreciate any insight that you might have. I hate to take it to lexus dealership and pay them $100+ for diagnosis when it doesn't always occur.

Thanks in advance.
.....I have the same IDENTICAL and I mean IDENTICAL problem as yours. My 2000 LS (which is virtually the same as yours) had its front air shocks replaced about 2 years back. Immediately after that when I picked up the vehicle from Longo Lexus, I noticed the ride had gotten EXTREMELY harsh. It would "BANG" over every little crevice, crack and pothole in the road. Then suddenly after a few miles the ride became super smooth as silk. This "back and forth" kept happening.

To make a long story short (see my NUMEROUS posts on this problem here on this board), I have had no resolution after taking the vehicle back multiple times to several Lexus dealers. They hooked it up to the diagnostics. Even replaced the air shocks one more time (after I threatened to call Lexus corportate).....but eventually said "everything is fine". As bad as INTERMITTENT problems are to duplicate, to my good luck the car even "acted up" a couple of times when the Lead mechanic at Longo Lexus drove it with me. However, he said he was at a loss and then, "to cover himself" said something to the effect of "air suspension systems ride differently from ones with steel springs and cannot absorb potholes and react as quickly". - what a bunch of hogwash - and besides, if that was the case, why was the suspension super smooth at other times???.

Finally, in desperation, I took it to an independent shop here (Luxury Motor Works). Initially the person there acknowledged the problem, but when even he was totally unable to solve the problem, simply went ahead and disconnected the electronic actuators that control the firmness of the damping. BTW, this has NOT helped either!

Over the last year and a half the ride has gotten VERY SLIGHTLY better (during the "harsh period" the suspension goes into). I have simply learned to live with the problem, although it is extremely upsetting and angers me to see a well maintained Lexus rattle, bang and jar over potholes and sharp impacts, when the suspension goes into its harsh mode. Sad part is, at other times the ride is EXTREMELY smooth as silk, like riding on butter scotch ice cream

At this point I'm so disgusted, that I'm planning to replace the air shocks with coil springs from www.strutmasters.com . Anyways the air shocks are going to go bad sometime in the future, so might as well do it now and get to enjoy a "Lexus ride" that the vehicle was intended to have. I was looking for info here, and that's how I bumped into your post!!

My advise is don't waste money on taking it to dealers. I've wasted over $5000 on this!!! ....and no resolution to date!!

Last edited by vicpai; 04-29-08 at 06:21 PM. Reason: syntax error