LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

PLEASE HELP: Battery not charging!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 01:55 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PLEASE HELP: Battery not charging!

Hello, New Member here,
I've had a problem for about a month now with 1993 LS not properly charging the battery and I've now spent everyday for the last two weeks cleaning grounds, following wires, and replacing fuses and it's driving me insane.

For some backstory, when I was leaving my campus to go back to my dorm, My battery drain light came on everytime the car would idle. As I continued to drive, the aftermarket radio I have just powered off, and the AC started working intermittently then the dashboard lights turned off. A couple minutes later the whole car went limp. Battery was dead. Popped the hood and realized the 120A fusable link was blown, so I ran down to O'Reiley's and grabbed a new one. Tried to jumpstart the car with my Honda and ended up melting my jumper cables. I thought something was seriously ******ed, so I did a bit more thorough inspection and I had a loose battery terminal. Cleaned that up and tightened it and put a new battery in, and boy, was that the start of the two longest weeks of my life. Battery light still came on at idle and the car does not want to charge. So I have found and cleaned every possible ground, followed every wire, checked every fuse, and tested my alternator about 5 times now. Everything is fine, or at least it seemed to be. But here's the kicker, I go for the start today, the hail mary; I'm at the end and I can taste victory, and I get a real kick in the nuts. The car starts but the battery drain is so bad that the battery light is persistent; no longer just at idle. So for the last 2 hours, every been checking, double checking, and triple checking all of my work, and I can't find a single thing wrong. So I so many question, can something be draining my battery that I'm overlooking, like my starter? Can an alternator bench test good, but still be bad? Am I just dumb? Please help me ClubLexus, you're my only hope.

TL;DR
My battery is draining fast and its not a ground, fuse, or alternator.
Old 12-20-18, 07:23 PM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Rebuilt alternators are notoriously bad.After going thru 3 on my dodge,when I did my Jeep I went with a new one.Dont know if thats your trouble,just saying.....
Old 12-20-18, 07:29 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spuds
Rebuilt alternators are notoriously bad.After going thru 3 on my dodge,when I did my Jeep I went with a new one.Dont know if thats your trouble,just saying.....
Yeah, there is an OEM alternator in the car atm. But I will keep that in mind. Thanks.
Old 12-20-18, 07:44 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I think I may know what is draining the battery. You mentioned that you have aftermarket stereo in your car. I installed aftermarket stereo in my car and even with the keys removed from the ignition the CD changer in the truck was clicking. Unplug the harness of the CD changer that is located on the right side of the trunk and then check if it's still draining the battery.
If you removed the CD changer already then you need to find the source of what is draining it. Check the map reading lights make sure it turns off when the doors are fully closed, check the power antenna unplug that and then check.
Old 12-20-18, 07:48 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlaskanLS
I think I may know what is draining the battery. You mentioned that you have aftermarket stereo in your car. I installed aftermarket stereo in my car and even with the keys removed from the ignition the CD changer in the truck was clicking. Unplug the harness of the CD changer that is located on the right side of the trunk and then check if it's still draining the battery.
If you removed the CD changer already then you need to find the source of what is draining it. Check the map reading lights make sure it turns off when the doors are fully closed, check the power antenna unplug that and then check.
I will check those things in the morning, as it's too dark/windy to work on the car right now. But I will keep you posted on of it works or not. Thank you!
Old 12-21-18, 07:58 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by KindaLowLS
Can an alternator bench test good, but still be bad? .
Yes. My question would be ---- Does the battery die while you're driving it or just over night? If it drains while you're driving then your alternator is bad. If the battery light comes on at idle and goes out with higher RPMs then it's not charging good enough. My 93 did that and the alt finally went completely.
Old 12-21-18, 08:32 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Definitely your alternator, and yes, they can bench test fine and still be bad. Head to your local parts store and have them test the charging system with the alternator on the car, this was the only way I got them to honor a warranty on an alternator for my Tundra that bench tested just fine. Doubtful you have a warranty but the test should give you a definitive answer
Old 01-31-20, 01:28 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

Default PLEASE HELP - Battery Drain

I've been having problems with my '93 LS400, with my battery draining, just bought a new battery yesterday and the battery light on the dash is already coming back on. I replaced my alternator a little over a year ago along with the wiring and cleaned/retightened all the leads. Also I have been having intermittent issues with the PS pump. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks.

Edit: I replaced the alternator almost exactly one year ago and its not having the same symptoms. The alternator is charging the battery (tested with voltmeter) and it runs but at idle the voltage fluxuates.

Last edited by KindaLowLS; 01-31-20 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-31-20, 01:39 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

Default update

I know this is a dead thread but the problem was indeed the alternator
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (02-24-20)
Old 01-31-20, 01:58 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Merged.

Thanks for updating us.
Old 01-31-20, 02:13 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

This was a response to a different issue a year ago
Old 01-31-20, 02:14 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Merged.

Thanks for updating us.
That was a response to an issue I had a year ago, two seperate threads. I am having a similar issue but not the same.
Old 01-31-20, 03:34 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
they can bench test fine and still be bad. Head to your local parts store and have them test the charging system with the alternator on the car
Same as above, a voltmeter won't tell you the whole story.

Is you PS pump leaking? The alternator is located right below it and the leak will kill it over time.
Old 01-31-20, 07:14 PM
Yamae

Received 851 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by KindaLowLS
I replaced the alternator almost exactly one year ago and its not having the same symptoms. The alternator is charging the battery (tested with voltmeter) and it runs but at idle the voltage fluxuates.
The voltage fluctuation at the idle is mostly caused by the partially damaged slip rings in the alternator, in my experience. The alternator's brushes absorb the P/S oil dripping from above and this causes the slip rings to wear little by little.

Depending on the amount of dripping oil, it takes only a few weeks to a few years to notice the problem. We need to know that oil wet brushes damage the slip rings slowly and finally the alternator is completely killed. But before it is killed, it manages to work but at the lower RPM, the generating voltage fluctuates badly. I worry that your situation is something like this happening. Isn't your P/S pump leaking the oil slowly?

I also need to write that the alternators is also killed by the slowly leaking engine oil from the deteriorated valve cover gasket.

Last edited by Yamae; 02-01-20 at 01:50 AM. Reason: To add the leaking oil from the valve cover gasket.
Old 01-31-20, 07:41 PM
KindaLowLS
Driver School Candidate

I found the leak from the PS, Its the silicone hose that runs from the resivior to the pump. (If anyone has a part number for that itd be greatly appriciated.

As for the gaskets, they should be all good, had them replaced a year ago shortly after I replaced the alternator.

From what it looks like, its the alternator... again. Now forgive me if I sound dumb, but is there anyway that the alternator can "dry off" and burn off that PS fluid that dripped onto it?

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP: Battery not charging!