Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread) - Page 2 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-03, 07:48 AM   #16
azari
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: MD
Posts: 251
Default ....

But the good thing about flushing is that it also gets rid of the gunk and residue that's been sitting or sticking to your transmission parts after years of operation.
azari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 10:38 AM   #17
damon
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,269
Default Transmission Care

Ychachad has a very relevant observation. The effect of changing 2 quarts this often is very likely to prevent your vehicle from ever having residue, gunk or metal particles accumulate in the valve body or filter screen
& it is indeed a cost effective method.


I have a fairly high mileage 94 LS that I acquired despite not having adequate maintenance records. At 140,000 mile I had no idea what the history of the fluid in the car had been. I was very anxious to rectify this situation & went with a full flush last Thursday. I found a Toyota dealer that had a BG Automatic Transmission flush machine ( Toyota of Plano ) & went ahead & ordered the BG part 106 pre-flush treatment from:
http://www.lmsspeed.com/bgproducts.htm

This requires ,as per instructions, the rear tires to be elevated so that the treatment can be "Cycled" through the transmission in its different gears prior to the actual flush. This is supposed to address the issues of cleaning the valve body & the filter screen. I was not allowed to watch the process at the dealer , but the service rep relayed that the initial fluid appeared brown , but not burnt ,so I was very relieved.

Cost was $119.91 total with tax. Let's hope that the old adage is true, "an ounce of prevention......"

Thanks, Mark
damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 08:31 PM   #18
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by cnacne
And how often do you change the filter?

Joe
I have never changed the Transmission filter. These are unlike oil filters, the oil filters being designed to trap small particles. Actually speaking, in no car manual does it state to clean the tranny filter. I changed mine once after 200,000 miles, and the bloody thing was clean as a whistle. Don't worry about it, as the constant draining will clean out all particulates, and you won't require a filter change.

Last edited by ychachad; 06-09-03 at 08:37 PM.
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-03, 08:36 PM   #19
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default Re: Transmission Care

Quote:
Originally posted by damon
Ychachad has a very relevant observation. The effect of changing 2 quarts this often is very likely to prevent your vehicle from ever having residue, gunk or metal particles accumulate in the valve body or filter screen
& it is indeed a cost effective method.


I have a fairly high mileage 94 LS that I acquired despite not having adequate maintenance records. At 140,000 mile I had no idea what the history of the fluid in the car had been. I was very anxious to rectify this situation & went with a full flush last Thursday. I found a Toyota dealer that had a BG Automatic Transmission flush machine ( Toyota of Plano ) & went ahead & ordered the BG part 106 pre-flush treatment from:
http://www.lmsspeed.com/bgproducts.htm

This requires ,as per instructions, the rear tires to be elevated so that the treatment can be "Cycled" through the transmission in its different gears prior to the actual flush. This is supposed to address the issues of cleaning the valve body & the filter screen. I was not allowed to watch the process at the dealer , but the service rep relayed that the initial fluid appeared brown , but not burnt ,so I was very relieved.

Cost was $119.91 total with tax. Let's hope that the old adage is true, "an ounce of prevention......"

Thanks, Mark
Thanks Mark for the compliment.
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 02:12 PM   #20
LamSV
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
Thumbs up

Hello Y. Chachad,

Thank you for your tip. You have a very logical explanation and I will want to try it too.

I have a 1994 LS400. I think I know where to find the plug to drain my engine oil. However where do you locate the transmission fluid in the pan? How to drain it? Like draining the engine oil?

Thanks for tip.

LamSV

LamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 03:17 PM   #21
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by LamSV
Hello Y. Chachad,

Thank you for your tip. You have a very logical explanation and I will want to try it too.

I have a 1994 LS400. I think I know where to find the plug to drain my engine oil. However where do you locate the transmission fluid in the pan? How to drain it? Like draining the engine oil?

Thanks for tip.

LamSV

The pan aft of the engine oil pan is the transmission oil pan. Draining it is the same as draining the engine oil. Same tool as well I believe. Good luck.
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 10:38 PM   #22
persian451
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,431
Default confused on what kind of tran fluid to use

I have a 1991 LS400 and I went in to the toyota dealership to ask about the tranny flush...

they told me that the 1991 doesnt use Toyota Type IV (which i requested) ..... they said use standard ATF
dextron... etc....

i just want to know which fluid should i use for optimal performance from my LS?
persian451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 10:44 PM   #23
LOTC
VIP 様式
 
LOTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,410
Default Re: confused on what kind of tran fluid to use

Quote:
Originally posted by persian451
I have a 1991 LS400 and I went in to the toyota dealership to ask about the tranny flush...

they told me that the 1991 doesnt use Toyota Type IV (which i requested) ..... they said use standard ATF
dextron... etc....

i just want to know which fluid should i use for optimal performance from my LS?
Dont use Dextron, it will mess up the LS's tranny. Use Toyota Type IV
LOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 10:57 PM   #24
Lvangundy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You CAN use dexron, but many people have complained it gived them hard shifts.

The toyota dealer is technically correct, BUT really try to stick with toyota type IV. Much smoother.


yah..just stick with type IV toyota!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-03, 11:53 PM   #25
damon
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,269
Default ATF Fluid

I know why you are confused because I am to. The Manual for my 94 LS 400 says that it takes T II.

T IV , I'm sure is backwards compatible , but I also know that some of the 4 wheel drive models are very particular. Hard shifts would not bother me, tranny damage would.
damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 12:00 AM   #26
LOTC
VIP 様式
 
LOTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,410
Default Re: ATF Fluid

Quote:
Originally posted by damon
I know why you are confused because I am to. The Manual for my 94 LS 400 says that it takes T II.

T IV , I'm sure is backwards compatible , but I also know that some of the 4 wheel drive models are very particular. Hard shifts would not bother me, tranny damage would.
T II is discontinued, so they use T IV now
LOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 08:15 AM   #27
damon
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,269
Default ATF

Thanks Celsior Master. Now If I can only get the Toyota Dealership that flushed my Transmission the other day to confirm what they used!! I'm not having any problems, but I am curious as hell.

Never occurred to me that it would be anything other than t-IV , but when I looked at the receipt it was not specific. Then I called & was told ( not by my service rep) , that it was "the same fluid all Toyota's get".

damon
damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 04:13 PM   #28
persian451
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,431
Default

so the viscosity of T-IV will work well if not better for the 1991 LS400?
persian451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 12:32 PM   #29
pascualjr
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 30
Default

Go with the Toyota Type IV if at all possible. If not, a friction modifier additive must be added to Dexron III. Any good shop knows this.
pascualjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 09:11 PM   #30
cnacne
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 27
Default

Hey guys,
I'm also reading that different types of fluid should not be mixed. Is this true?
This would be important as I do not know for 100% sure what is in there now.

Joe
cnacne is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission problem '99 LS400 dantampa LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 41 04-08-15 04:12 PM
Delayed gear shifting in early mornings? PDXLex ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 5 10-05-14 01:38 PM
Bad shifting kuziwk LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 7 03-16-11 07:06 PM
40mph Throttle Tip-in Hesitation Problem viper.boy LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 12 02-08-11 09:31 PM
Gs300 Transmission Slipping bjmGS300 Maintenance 2 05-25-01 05:12 PM


Tags
02, 0888602305, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2008, 350, 400, 4000, 470, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 98, 99, a, a340e, add, additive, amount, amsoil, atf, auto, black, brown, call, car, castrol, change, changing, cheap, check, checking, circulating, city, club, coil, cost, date, dexron, dextron, difference, direct, diy, drain, drainfill, dys, es250, es300, es330, es350, fill, filter, fiuid, fj80, fluid, fluids, flush, frequency, fulid, gearbox, good, gs300, gs400, gs430, gx, gx470, hose, hot, ii, iii, is300, is350, iv, landcruiser, level, lexus, life, location, ls, ls400, ls460, lubegard, lx470, max, maxlife, mechanic, mercon, needed, not, oil, or, pan, plug, powersteering, price, problems, put, quarts, refill, replace, replacement, rough, rx300, sc300, sc400, shift, shifting, slipping, slips, smoother, substitute, suggested, syenthetic, synthetic, t4, teal, tii, tiv, toyota, tranmission, tranny, trans, transmission, transmisson, tundra, turns, type, upshift, valvoline, ws, xmission, york

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved