LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Old 10-09-07, 02:57 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1999 LS400 ATF drain&fill

Would you guys say 0.7 qt overfill isn`t that bad, negligible? Or still bad?
Thanks everybody for replying, very helpful, as ever
Old 10-09-07, 11:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Before filling check the dipstick, refill the exact amount that comes out.

One of my drains, I didn't measure what actually came out since past times it is just a touch over 2 QTS. Well, I was under by about 1 and didn't notice until the tranny started slipping. It took me the next week of little pours here there to get it back to normal levels. PITA. Checking hot and cold levels.
Old 11-07-07, 04:28 PM
Lexstacy40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT fluid flush / change

gents

am browsing online for AT filter.

Found two, can't see which one I need:

http://www2.lexpartsonline.com/parts...Filter&dp=true

or

http://www2.lexpartsonline.com/parts...r+Kit&dp=false

On that note, you recommend I give it to someone to do this or DIY? seems straight forward enough to do it - just not sure whether just replacing the filter and oil will give the full effect.

Puredrifter...was it you who mentioned that they actually "flush" the AT if you hand it in?

thanks

Last edited by Lexstacy40; 11-07-07 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-07-07, 04:36 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There isn't a transmission filter in the A340E. There is a screen, which doesn't typically need replacement during the life of the transmission. Unless your fluid is burnt and way past due for a change, don't even bother dropping the pan. Just exercise the drain plug for a simple drain and fill, or the cooler lines for a flush. If you do insist on dropping the pan, all you need to do to the screen is to clean it with brake cleaner. Also, wipe the magnets off that sit inside the pan to remove ferrous material.
Old 11-07-07, 05:29 PM
Lexstacy40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gracias amigo - I'll get right at it
Old 11-08-07, 08:07 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I use amsoil synthetic trans fluid in my 91 lexus and 2006 camary with no problem they say that thier trans fluid will work the same as type 4. I changed out 20 quarts over a 2 week period costing around $90.00 I just kept draining the fluid thru the drain plug in the trans pan until I figured I had 100% synthetic fluid. I also changed out the power steering with Mobil one synthetid fluid and rear end with red line GL5 for limite slip rearends. so far no ptoblems I normally drive my cars 300-400,000 miles and keep the same trans and power steering. the change the trans fluid every 50,000 along with the power steering also the rear end oil at the same time. You can also type 4 trans fluid but change it around 25,000 miles to make the trans last. The trans on the lexus with good care can go 500,000 miles and future by a friend of mine he went 568,000 when he traded 1990 in for a 2006 lexus . The is still on the road today with 600,000 plus miles. There is a Lexus in San Diego Ca with over 700,000 miles same engine one trans at 500,000 miles YUP THEY GO A LONG WAY.
Old 11-08-07, 09:06 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Here a trick I do I put a transmission cooler on my lexus and I pull off one side of the hoses and put on a hose to fill a gallon bottle when full I put back on the hose fill in 4 quarts using mobil one synthetic trans fluid. I drive the car a couple miles 6 then I drain out another 4 quarts of fluid and I do this every year or every 30,000 miles even though synthetic fluid can go 100,000 miles with out changing it. In he new lexus I recommend using amsoil synthetic trans fluid which is the same as the type 4 that lexus uses up till 2006. You can Also use mobil one synthetic trans fluid in the power steering change it every 35,000miles and it will last for years. I use redline GL5 in the rear end for limited slip or not limited slip which I hear the best going use the 75-90 weight GL5 grade. cost a little more but worth every penny
Old 11-21-07, 12:43 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

I have a 91 lexus with 194,000 and run mobil one synthetic fluid and no problems. If your car is later than a 94 lexus you can use amsoil synthetic fluid they claim it is the same as type 4 toyota fluid. I am running it in a 2006 camary and no problems another trick I do is put in a tranmission cooler on both the 90 lexus and 06 camary to help the trans last a lot longer. I have pushed toyota's trans over 400,000 miles using mobil one and no problems so far keeping my fingers crossed BMW MERCEDES and other high end cars run mobil one and only change the trans fluid at 100,000 miles with few problems.
Old 12-08-07, 08:08 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

The only trans fluid that will work in the lexus is amsoil according to them it will work just fine. I have been using it for 200k miles and no problems it does make the trans shift a litter faster and a litter firmer but no problems I also put a trans cooler in line with the radiator I run the trans fluid first through the radiator then through the cooler and back to the trans. I have run amsoil in a cressida for 385,000 in both the engine and trans power steering and rear end and no problems.
Old 12-08-07, 08:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
The only trans fluid that will work in the lexus is amsoil according to them it will work just fine. I have been using it for 200k miles and no problems it does make the trans shift a litter faster and a litter firmer but no problems I also put a trans cooler in line with the radiator I run the trans fluid first through the radiator then through the cooler and back to the trans. I have run amsoil in a cressida for 385,000 in both the engine and trans power steering and rear end and no problems.
bill, is there any reason you're the ONLY PERSON bumping up this thread after a month of no life.

find something else to post in, honestly, if this was new info and all i wouldnt care but the fact is that you're just repeating yourself

[/vent]
Old 12-09-07, 12:50 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
u need to park the car and do a trans flush ASAP or else u risk MAJOR trans. damage.

only toyota Type IV fluid works in the trans. no synthetic ish.

search on it.
Puredrifter. I'm not sure how many people you've helped on this forum but we all owe you a huge thanks.

You seem to know just about everything when it comes to Lexus.
Old 12-09-07, 12:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
Puredrifter. I'm not sure how many people you've helped on this forum but we all owe you a huge thanks.

You seem to know just about everything when it comes to Lexus.
i really dont know much

thanks
Old 12-18-07, 08:02 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

You gentleman have interesting stories about why synthetic oil is bad for the transmission. Type 4 is a smei snythetic according to some people at Toyota and I have been using mobil one in my 92 lexus for 150,000 miles and it shifts fast smooth and quiet I am going to use amsoil on my newer 2005 LS430 when I buy it later in 2008 due to it is the same as type 4 also which I am using it in my 2006 toyota camary and it works great it has good solid quick shifts I also use a trans cooler on both the lexus and camary for hot days and bumper to bumper in Southern California traffic lasting up to 4 to 6 hours to and from work. I normally get 350,000 to 450,000 miles on my trans this way
Old 12-19-07, 12:16 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
You gentleman have interesting stories about why synthetic oil is bad for the transmission. Type 4 is a smei snythetic according to some people at Toyota and I have been using mobil one in my 92 lexus for 150,000 miles and it shifts fast smooth and quiet I am going to use amsoil on my newer 2005 LS430 when I buy it later in 2008 due to it is the same as type 4 also which I am using it in my 2006 toyota camary and it works great it has good solid quick shifts I also use a trans cooler on both the lexus and camary for hot days and bumper to bumper in Southern California traffic lasting up to 4 to 6 hours to and from work. I normally get 350,000 to 450,000 miles on my trans this way

Really now? Havent heard the same ole S*** in this thread yet.
Old 03-25-08, 08:19 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny.. To flush or Not to Flush '91

Ok guys so here it is a year ago almost to the day i got my ls400 its a 91 just hit 155 on the clock. when i bought it i knew one thing the tranny had never been flushed :[ EVER
Im the third owner the guy i bought it from is my boss and as wealthy as his is which is quite a bit for some reason he told me he never botherd to have the tranny flushed. dont know why but yea.. so after many talks to various shops, the lexus dealer, and a few trusted friends i had decided not to change the fluid due to the possibility of it not taking to the new fluid after 155000 thousand miles.
well just recently whilst sitting in a fun line of traffic inbetween denver and colorado springs i was going through various paper work on the car in the glove box and found a invoice on it for differnt things one of which is a tranny flush or drop and fill of 4 quarts rather at 70000. so after this new info im re debating wether or not to flush it. i also talked to the dealer and he said it didnt matter really anymore if i put type T in or not. any help would be greatly appreciated to help me make up my mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)