LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 01:02 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yea, toyota discontinued manufacturing T-II in favor or T-IV whic is supposedly new and improved.
Old 08-26-07, 02:58 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks alot.
Old 08-27-07, 12:27 PM
jcolegrove
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is NOT what is being told to me by the local toyota dealer and it's master mechanic of 25 yrs.... the type 4 is a new type and is NOT a replacement for the type 2. type 3 is the replacement for type2- they use plain old dexton 3 for older cars that used type 2. the type 4 is really expensive and an 'extended life' product, not intended as repalcement for type 2.

to go on, type 2 is just dexron type 2, which is why dexron type 3 is the replacement. there are stories of xmissions going bad after changing to typ 3, etc... i suspect this is due to the inherent stresses when changing a too long used oil to a new one. the band friction has worn off, etc... or just to coincidence.

jc
Old 08-27-07, 01:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by jcolegrove
that is NOT what is being told to me by the local toyota dealer and it's master mechanic of 25 yrs.... the type 4 is a new type and is NOT a replacement for the type 2. type 3 is the replacement for type2- they use plain old dexton 3 for older cars that used type 2. the type 4 is really expensive and an 'extended life' product, not intended as repalcement for type 2.

to go on, type 2 is just dexron type 2, which is why dexron type 3 is the replacement. there are stories of xmissions going bad after changing to typ 3, etc... i suspect this is due to the inherent stresses when changing a too long used oil to a new one. the band friction has worn off, etc... or just to coincidence.

jc
you're mechanic is on crack, T-IV is the replacement for T-II since toyota stopped using it. if u care to search around on the LS forums ul find a certain PDF which contains a Toyota/Lexus TSB stating as such.

also, if anyone wants the "generic" alternative to buying fluid from toyota, you could just buy it before toyota brands it "type IV".
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._ATF_3309.aspx
^same exact stuff except not in a toyota labeled quart

heres some more alternative sources for TIV fluid http://www.mazda6tech.com/tsb/aisinwarner.pdf i followed up another members post in an earlier thread pointing out that most aisin warner transmissions used the same 3309 standard

Last edited by PureDrifter; 08-27-07 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 06:06 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. I did the drained and filled with T IV on my LS4.
Old 08-28-07, 09:24 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

hmmm... i now see why the dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. they said type II WAS the same as dexron II, so naturally dexton III would be fine. they're missing (as was i) the 'T" in front .... i would suspect many dealers do this..?

found the TSB
http://www.lexusclub.co.uk/gearboxoil.pdf

thanks.... and disturbing for my xmission, which has valv dexron III for 20k. shifts and works fine thought... weird.
Old 08-28-07, 10:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by jcolegrove
hmmm... i now see why the dealer doesn't know what they're talking about. they said type II WAS the same as dexron II, so naturally dexton III would be fine. they're missing (as was i) the 'T" in front .... i would suspect many dealers do this..?

found the TSB
http://www.lexusclub.co.uk/gearboxoil.pdf

thanks.... and disturbing for my xmission, which has valv dexron III for 20k. shifts and works fine thought... weird.
very odd, if they used Valvoline Maxlife ATF then it seems to be approved
but im pretty sure this stuff is relatively recent addition to their lineup.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/Maxlife%20ATF.pdf
Old 08-29-07, 09:54 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

well, i see what you mean. the DO mention it being ok w/ T-II and T-IV. so i called up my valvoline shop and the called their 'fluid hotline' who confirmed the same. they said it is compatible. interesting. maybe that's why i don't have the 'shuddering' issue of many others. i happened to put in one of the few T-IV approved replacement fluids...hmmm... thanks for the info. i was getting ready to switch it again to T-IV.
Old 09-01-07, 08:52 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the type four works fine but if you want a synthetic fluid amsoil makes a trans fluid that is compatable with toyota type four which I run in my 06 camry wich calls for type four I use mobil one synthetic in 1991 lexus trans now for 140,000 miles and no problems I also change it out every 35,000 miles it is said that you can go 100,000 miles on synthetic trans oil BMW Mercedes Porch and other european cars also run the mobil or some other snythetic trans fluid and change it at 100,000 miles. Corvette and Cads run the synthetic trans fluid and change it 100,000 miles. I ran a 86 toyota Cressida for 405,000miles on mobil one trans fluid also mobile one engine oil and ran the power steering on mobil one tranny fluid and no problems.
Old 09-13-07, 09:09 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

when you drain the pan there is still about 7-8 quarts of oil in the converter that is why it is so important to keep draining the oil until you have drained about 12 quarts of oil. Another reason you want to at least drain 12 quarts of oil over a period of time is because you still have dirty oil every time your drain the trans. Some trans shops have a full transmission pumper which will drain and refill the trans with about 12 quarts of oil make sure it's type 4 from toyota or you can use AMSoil snythetic which is compatable with the type 4 trans fluid.
Old 10-08-07, 07:06 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1999 LS400 ATF Drain

Hi guys.
I am trying the simple drain and fill method on my 1999 LS. I just jackes it up, put it the stands, drained the fluid. Instead of 2 qts about 2.7 qts came out. Does it mean it was overfilled last time? Is it bad to overfill? I just don`t know if I shouldjust refill with 2 qts or the same amount as came out. It is hard to say by the dipstick, seems full with just 2 qts.
Thank you all.
Old 10-09-07, 07:46 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by valex
Hi guys.
I am trying the simple drain and fill method on my 1999 LS. I just jackes it up, put it the stands, drained the fluid. Instead of 2 qts about 2.7 qts came out. Does it mean it was overfilled last time? Is it bad to overfill? I just don`t know if I shouldjust refill with 2 qts or the same amount as came out. It is hard to say by the dipstick, seems full with just 2 qts.
Thank you all.
My 1995 was exactly the same! About 2.7 - 3 quarts came out of mine. The first time I did it, I put exactly the same amount back in but that provided way too much. It was well over the full mark.

So I did the flush again a day later and put only 2.0 back in and she is right at the correct level.

The book says 2.0 comes out, the stick says 2.0 is correct so I'm going to say that the Lexus dealership put too much in when the original owner of my car had it serviced.

Dustin
Old 10-09-07, 08:06 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI - I once let my transmission drain for 2 days. I was surprised that it continued to drip on the 2nd day. Altogether, more than 4 quarts came out. I assume you will get about 2 quarts out if you drain it for a reasonably short amount of time.
Old 10-09-07, 10:42 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1999 LS ATF drain

Originally Posted by 91LS400vgb
FYI - I once let my transmission drain for 2 days. I was surprised that it continued to drip on the 2nd day. Altogether, more than 4 quarts came out. I assume you will get about 2 quarts out if you drain it for a reasonably short amount of time.
I let mine drain for like 10 min. It was dripping when I put the plug back in.
Last time an independant shop did flush on my car when it had 60K miles.Maybe they overfilled. My current miles are 82750. That is how long it was overfilled, then. I will try checking with dipstick today. Does the engine have to be running when I check ATF level?
Old 10-09-07, 11:32 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine absolutely must be running when you check the ATF level, and preferably for at least 20 minutes so it gives a more accurate reading in the "Hot" range.
If you only drained it for 10 minutes, then I would assume that it was slightly over full, and that adding 2 quarts should be fine.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)