LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What is the growling/moaning noise when I'm braking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 09:05 PM
en11871
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is the growling/moaning noise when I'm braking?

Hi,

I have been hearing a growling/moaning sound from the bottom of the car (where else would it be right?...LOL) when I brake or car slowing down. It happens when I'm going fast and then brake...not at the beginning but later on before the car is completely stopped. I have been told by some members that when they replaced their transmission mount that exact noise is gone. I have recently changed my transmission mount, but the noise is still there. Can the shop have done it improperly? I'm pretty sure that it's not the rotors, but I think I would be hearing that sound during the entire braking process right? Please help, for the growling/moaning noise can sound scary when braking. Thanks.
Old 04-24-08, 10:14 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like you need new brake pads. mine were making that same noise and it went away after i had them swapped out.
Old 04-24-08, 10:52 PM
en11871
Driver

Hi,

Unfortunately my pads were just changed. Thanks.
Old 04-24-08, 11:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

gotta admit it sounds like pads

did you cut/resurface the rotor? the anti-noise shims are in place yes?
Old 04-24-08, 11:05 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

both front and rear were swapped? i honestly can't think of anything else it could be.
Old 04-24-08, 11:26 PM
BradSR20
Driver School Candidate

Could always check your wheel bearings. i thought for sure my problem was power steering or brake related, but it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing
Old 04-25-08, 06:56 PM
en11871
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
gotta admit it sounds like pads

did you cut/resurface the rotor? the anti-noise shims are in place yes?

PD,

Thanks for you reply. First thing, can cross-drilled/slot rotors be turned? See I am not sure when the growling/moaning noise started. I don't know if it was before. The situation was I had crossdrilled/slotted rotors put on but the bozo who was performing the work reversed the right and left side of both front and back! So I brought the car to another mechanic and he actually notify me that the rotors were on the wrong respective sides. So I bought new pads, actually came with shims. But unfortunately this mechanic said he can't turn my rotors because of the holes and slots. He said the rotors should be fine. So I asked him to go ahead. The swapped the sides and installed the new pads. LOL...he didn't swap the rears!!! Long story short, I really don't know whether the noise came before even all this happening. I've been having so much noise with my suspension that I have lost track which noise to tackle first. As another member suggested the bearings. Wouldn't that be a high screeching sound instead? PD, and if you have any suggestions in regards to my suspension please let me know. I'm at wits end. Shocks are fairly new (10k). Upper CA's are fairly new (not OEM though...10k). Ball joints are fairly new (20k). Strut Rod bushings fairly new (10k). Lower CA's (haven't touched yet). Can the ball joints were prematurely without actually looking like it's worn? My mechanic told me that the LCA's and BJ's look fine. There just seems to be extra vibration in my front end. I know that something's not right. A member had his "subframe bolts" tightened. Please let me know if you have suggestions on all the above. I know it's a lot. Thanks for your time in advance.
Old 04-25-08, 06:59 PM
en11871
Driver

Originally Posted by BradSR20
Could always check your wheel bearings. i thought for sure my problem was power steering or brake related, but it turned out to be a bad wheel bearing
Brad,

...but the bearing cause high pitch squeaking/screeching noise right? PLMK.
Old 06-17-09, 02:41 PM
gautley
Driver School Candidate

Did you every fixed the root causes of the problem? I just brought 96 LS400 and have that same sound when going into parking lot or driveway. I don't seem to noticed it at high speed braking. I'm beginning to think it might be power brake booster. It's that black looking drum shape between firewall and master brake cylinder. It's very rare for it for fail but can happen. I'm waiting for my wife to get home and press the brake for me so I can pinpoint the noise and see if my guess is correct. I don't think it's the pad or rotor as the noises continue while the car is in park gear and I applied brake.
Old 06-17-09, 03:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

more likely to be strut bar bushings or worn pads.
Old 06-17-09, 08:35 PM
gmacrae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its probably just a noise associated with your drilled/slotted rotors, may just take a while for the pads to bed in.

Is yours a 95+ ls or no?

If it is, what wheels do you have?

Is there enough clearance between the front wheels and calipers? If its VERY close, the calipers can rub on the wheels when you brake, the caliper does flex a bit and if there's only a mm or so clearance, they can rub - I sorted mine out with the grinder
Old 06-25-09, 05:21 PM
gautley
Driver School Candidate

I had that similar problem after I just brought 1996 Lexus 400 two weeks ago... I didn't notices that noise till few days later. Last week I clean one side of rotor and did brake flush.. The noise when down a bit, but not all. As time went by the noise was nearly back to the same point. So today, I went ahead and decide to clean out both rotor, lube, and flush. Before I was done the with the second rotor, I noticed the tampered edge of pad was different. One side of rotor the tampered edge was at bottom, and the other side was at top. From there, I figured something was not right. Due to normal driving condition, the rotor will spin counter clockwise, so the tampered edge should be (pointing down of rotor) running against the rotor. So I went to check the other side that I already completed, then I found out that it was same problem. I switch the pad from other side. Test drove it and problem gone... I hope this help.... Turn out that previous owner whom had mechanic work done didn't' know which side is which.

Last edited by gautley; 06-25-09 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Opp.. should be clockwise, not counter clockwise...
Old 06-25-09, 05:23 PM
gautley
Driver School Candidate

Opp!!! Sorry people... It should be said clockwise... not counter clockwise.....
Old 06-25-09, 08:10 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My kevlar/ceramic pads went brand new with my d/s rotors and made some very loud groaning noises for about the first 25 to 50 miles then nothing.....
Old 06-26-09, 11:36 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I currently have an ABS sensor issue as the result of an impact.
Your symptoms sound very similar to what I hear.

I replaced all of my damaged suspension parts & know that in terms of pads & rotors my brakes are in very good shape at all 4 tires.

However the damaged ABS sensor causes an awful noise every time I get below 2 mph.

Make sure all of the ABS connections look good at each hub!

Quick Reply: What is the growling/moaning noise when I'm braking?