LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Avoid Costco for Tires-Headaches 1995 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 10:04 AM
oofer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avoid Costco for Tires-Headaches 1995 ls400

This was the first time in my 20 years as a driver that I own a nice car-a 1995 ls 400 with only 158 km. So I decided with this nice car will go nice tires. After doing extensive research I decided on purchasing Micheline Primacy MXV4 tires.
Costco had them for about 130.00$ less then the next best price. So I put in order for 4 tires and Costco obliged me to order V -rated tires as these were the specifications for my car.(They won't istall them unless they are to spec). Grudgingly, I did so. At the same time I order a set of Pilot Exaltos for my nephew's 94 es 300- however got them H rated and had my local mechanic intall them.

Here is what transpired the day I went to pick up and install my tires:

They Exalto's are brought to me and I pay for them.I took a quick look at them and immediatley noticed that one the tires was the wrong size. There was a 195 mixed in with the rest of the 205. After pointing it out they brough out the right sized tire. You think I would have learned from this.

My car in the meantime was in thier shop undergoing the installation. When it was done I loaded up the Exalto's alonf with my winter tires and left.

The next day I was on the highway for the first time since getting my new tires. As I approached and exceeded 80 km/h the car started to shake like a women in labor.

I pulled over into a service station and looked at my tires. I was shocked and horrified to discover that they had installed three different kinds of tires (Mich Energy Plus, Mich Energy, Mich Primacy MXV4 ) and not one but 2 different sizes! They managed to get only 1 tire right!

I went back to Costco and they immediately agreed to change ny tires but they said they would have to re-order them. I was driving to New York the next day so this wasn't an option. Needless to say, my patience was beginning to wear thin. They then noticed that they had the Primacy MXV4's in stock in my size but H-RATED.This time they allowed the installtion of a H-rated tire to compensate me for my time. I also suggested that they forgo the installation fee in order to make up for mt time-this required speaking to yet another manager.

Finally, they agreed to my request, however there was a price difference on the set os tires between the V-rated and H-rated of about 130.00$. This amount I was told couldn't be given back to me in cash and they proceeded to put my money on a Costco credit card!

That's when I lost and now declared that all bets were off! I made the people who were in line waiting for their tires to be installed to be sure to check if the prouduct was the same brand and size! About 6 customers left immediatley as I demanded to deal with someone who could finally take responsibility for this mess.

After meeting with a slick fellow in a nice suit(in his office) who patiently listened to my story and who didn't reply as the previous manager did with "it happens sometimes" to which I replied "okay ,when it does, what system do you have in place to deal with such absurd circumstances."

The slick manager accommadated all my requests which were:
1) knock off the sales tax
2)throw in the one tire they got right as a spare
3) return the money owed in cash

They didn't have much choice as I threatened court action for putting me in a dangerous situation.

Don't have your tires installed at Costco. In the end I got the tires I wanted but only after more than two hours of infurating negotiations and loss of salary as I am an hourly paid wage earner. I lost a lot more than I gained despite the compenastory measures I demanded. JUST DON'T GO!
Old 04-21-08, 10:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like you got one crappy costco, we've run tires from them on the '00 LS for the last 5-6 years without any issues and our local costco has always been more than accomodating in terms of customer service.
Old 04-21-08, 10:12 AM
arnage
Driver School Candidate

wow,
sorry to hear about your plight. can you disclose which particular costco this was at in NJ? hopefully not the local one I go to.
Old 04-21-08, 10:21 AM
oofer
Rookie

I'm no longer in New Jersey. The Costco I wrote about is in Montreal Quebec.
Needles to say I'm never going back!
Old 04-21-08, 01:20 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks. the guy who did the mounting really screwed it up.

next time don't pay the big price for these brand name michelin, continental etc. Just go for kumho, general, federal. It's soooo much cheaper and you won't notice the difference on a luxury sedan.
Old 04-21-08, 03:01 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Went to a Costco in Plano, Texas (a flatter place on earth you could not imagine!!) years ago & the damn guys in Tire dept. had put on my emergency brake when I came out to my car.

I thought they had just put on one seriously out of round tire!!
Old 04-21-08, 04:20 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

oofer, sounds like a horrible experience you had at that costco. I know my brothers and dad have gotten tires at costco before and haven't had a problem yet. Glad to hear everything eventually worked out.