LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just purchased a 1990 Lexus LS 400 and have many Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 03:22 PM
maximus03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a 1990 Lexus LS 400 and have many Questions!

I have a question that maybe can be answered as well. I recently purchases a 1990 LS 400 had 149,895 miles on it for $3,200. I had the radiator flushed, oil changed as well. I took it to a professional mechanic shop and was told that the oil pan has some minor leaking and the valve cover gaskets are seeping as will. None of which are leaving spills on the ground but I don't know anything about cars let along a lexus. I was also told that the front brake pads need fixing.
Now the person that sold the car said that he is going to fix the oil pan leak and it's in writing!
Now minor things are also defective on the car.........none of the door speakers work but the tweeters and sub works (Pioneer Premium Sound System), play. What is the possible problem?
Also the moonroof motor seems to not function but it's partially tilting the roof (the right side). It's not retracting the Moonroof at all though.

I have purchased this vehicle but wanted to know did I get RIPPED OFF?
It's runs like a champ though and starts perfectly, but I don't know anything about the leaks and how severe are they along with the stereo system. Took it to an audio shop and they didn't run test on the speakers they however said they would charge $300-400 to fix the problem. Stated aftermarket speakers wouldn't work with system so would need a new headunit, would have to do an amp crossover. I don't know if it's a fuse blown, or maybe speakers bad?
Old 04-10-08, 08:06 PM
Dereke
Rookie

sounds pretty close to my lex.

the oil leaks are more of annoyances. gaskets start to sweat after they get a few years under their belts. you can change the gaskets now or wait till they start dripping.

the stereo is what bugs me. the head unit that lexus uses requires an external amp im told so the lack of speaker noise is related to the lack of amp. new head unit with built in amp should fix that issue or you can do like they said and do some aftermarket jerry rigging. or find a well working stock amp on ebay or something like that. also doesnt hurt to check fuses and put a multimeter on the different components to see if they are even getting power. might be an easy fix.
Old 04-10-08, 08:12 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'm pretty sure you can just put some aftermarket speakers from best buy or even ebay. This guy sells 4 oem replacement speakers for 100 shipped. Anyboday can put them in if you know how to use a screwdriver.

If your car is decently clean and your mechanic said it checks out then i think you got a fair deal. What other car can you buy that will be as reliable as a newer car, as smooth or smoother than a newer car, or as luxurious for 3k? No other car comes close. 149k is actually low mileage for a 1990, and just getting warmed up for a lexus.
Old 04-10-08, 08:29 PM
maximus03
Driver School Candidate

Default What about the leaks though and FUSE BOX?

The car runs very smooth as I stated and the owner from which I purchased it said he is going to have it fixed for me on Saturday. He is taking it to some discount auto repair shop. Can anyone give me advice about the head cover gaskets?
Also in regards to checking the fuses, where are the located so I can check and see if that is the problem? I called a tech from Crutchfield and he basically wanted to sell me some 5" speakers for all the doors. Seem that ever tech in town (Corvallis, OR) wants to charge a ridiculous price $300-400 without even running a test to see if it's a fuse blown or not. Can someone please tell me where the fuse box is located and how can I go about checking it.

Thanks
Old 04-10-08, 10:36 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of your repairs are serious. Take it easy.

The sunroof might be an expensive repair or maybe only a screw came off from the mechanism.

Only 4 inch speaker will fit. 4 ohm rating. You can replace yourself. Fuses are at lower left underneth dash. See manual.

Keep an eye on oil level and enjoy.
Old 04-11-08, 07:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't worry about the oil leaks until they are really making a mess. old cars leak oil. no sense in worrying too much about it until it's a real issue.
stereo: there is actually a built in amp for hte door speakers. only the sub has an external amp. if the tweeters are working, then the door speakers are dead. the tweeters run off the same signal as the door speakers. a fuse does not control the signal between the heead unit and speakers.
get some new speakers. you have to remove teh door panels to replace the speakers. 4" is what you want.

front brakes: get a front pad and drilled rotor set off ebay. they're cheap and mine have been working great for over a year now. do it yourself and save $$$. easy job.

sunroof: don't know, i'd have to see something like that to tell you what it needs.
hope that helps.
Old 04-11-08, 01:12 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wanted to chime in here..

Yes, it sounds like you got a good deal here.

As others have said the oil leaks aren't big deals.. But, if you don't think you'll be monitoring the leaks/gaskets all the time or just want peace of mind -- Go ahead and get them fixed.

I would..

19psi is right though, especially on a Valve cover gasket leak (minor).. It isn't going to have much of an effect.. Now if it got really bad and was making a huge mess, etc.. It is an ASAP fix.

The biggest worry with leaks are insufficient levels of the fluid for lubrication. With minor leaks that doesn't happen between oil changes (on regular intervals).

That said,.. Valve cover gaskets are an EASY (relatiely) fix. Those gaskets are just seals for the 'covers' that sit on top of your engine on the sides. 2 covers, and respectively they cover your valves. They have no function but to keep oil in, and dirt out. They basically take them off, put a new gasket in, and then close them. Job done.

Oil pain, much the same.. Except you have gravity playing against you there. Still the pan is obviously to keep oil in, give it a place to sit, and keep junk out.

As for your radio : The stock system is not bad, not bad at all. You have many options here.

replace it all -- New headunit, new door speakers, new "free-air" subwoofer.. and new aftermarket amp for new subwoofer. Can get costly , but could probably get away for under a grand installed.

Or get OEM replacements, but I have a feeling the headunit might be giving you issues with those speakers if only the 'tweeters' are working. I wouldn't trust it unless I could test it. I personally put in an aftermarket CD/Radio/USB/Ipod etc headunit, and wired it in to work with ALL of the factory speakers, including the factory amp and subwoofer. People/shops will tell you it can't be done (sometimes) but it most definitely can. It is just a matter of wiring.

Brakes.. I agree do them yourself.. But if you just don't trust yourself -- Its a standard brake job.. No big deal, every car has to have it often.

Your 'moonroof' -- No clue here, as long as it isn't leaking be glad. The motor/track/ electronics can be fixed -- This might be one of those put off till later problems depending on money.