LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Warped rotors and lousy seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 09:47 PM
kef22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped rotors and lousy seats

I have a 1999 Ls400, I bought the car because I believed it to be one if not the finest car on this Planet. I was wrong. The drivers seat is very uncomfortable. But thats not the real problem. Warped front rotors. Turned the original rotors twice and within aprox. 25 miles driven they warped again. Replaced with new drilled rotors and they warped. One was .005 thousands out and the other .012 ( used a dial indicator on the topmost part of rotor. ) My problem is they don't vibrate when braking but steering wheel vibration at speed above 30 m.p.h. and worse at 70 or above. Could the problem be the Toyo Ultra 800 tires. Never had this problem with any automobile including the crappy ones. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-08, 10:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

did you ever even ONCE consider replacing the brake pads with some quality pads, and replacing the strut bar bushings...?

the uninformed are quick to call out a car as being unreliable
Old 04-02-08, 11:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont forgot to check if ur wheels are balanced.....tires are correctly pressured.
Old 04-03-08, 01:08 AM
DIY LS400
Rookie

Check the calipers to see if they're sticking, I doubt both would at the same time. Also check the pads.
Old 04-03-08, 01:25 AM
salsaboi
Driver

And if nothing works out, there's only 1 solution ... SUICIDE!
J/K ..
Old 04-03-08, 04:23 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

BEst car ??? Who said that. ITs OK at best. Very reliable, which is the high point of the car.

AS for Rotors, get factory ones from the dealer. I had the same proiblem, had them cut, but the vibration is still there a little. Also, if the strut bars are shot, which they probably are from the rotors being warped, change them, and enjoy the car a little more.
Old 04-03-08, 04:42 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drivers seat uncomfortable??? You didn't detect this when you were test driving the car Before you bought it?? I would have found out as soon as I sat down

Warped rotors,,, I would suggest you follow some of the suggestions as noted above about the strut bars, and bushing.
High speed vibration,,, could be a tire balance issue. Lexus vehicles are VERY sensitive to balance and even the slightest issue of being out of balance can cause vibrations. I would suggest you find a shop which has a Hunter 9700 (aka Hunter Roadforce) machine to have your tires balanced. This is one of the best machines and it does a very effective job in getting the delicate balance on our cars right.

Last edited by trukn1; 04-03-08 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-03-08, 06:52 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am surprised the seats are uncomfortable in your 1999 as my 95 seats are much worse - like a trampoline. As for your rotors before you do anything rash I would invest in Brembo blanks at tirerack.com ($68 each) and new pads. I don't see it being your tires though - didn't know the strut rod bushing could cause vibration. Maybe your mechanic can jack the car up to check the strut rod for play, etc.

Does anybody here know how to check yourself?
Old 04-03-08, 07:31 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warped rotors would be most detectable during braking. Since you are talking about vibration while driving, first thing to check would be the wheels and tires. Have them rebalanced and have the rim inspected. Then check suspension components such as sways, links, and bushings. Some tires have a tendency to lose their round more than others. I don't have any experience with the brand you have, but it could be a culprit. I would also take a look at the calipers. You're talking about a 9 year old car. Even with low miles, age will cause problems. Have your suspension arm ball joints and bushings checked out. Also, check your calipers and pads if you continue to get warped rotors. Some wear and rust may cause excess heat causing premature damage to the rotors. Again, these cars are very reliable, but they are not immune to the regular wear and tear any automobile will face.
Old 04-03-08, 08:48 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You've gotten all the advice you need to get started here. Your car is far from unreliable , especially calling it out on a rotor warp issue or a balance issue. Come on -- I'm more inclined to think you have some suspension issues to fix than brake issues by the way you describe it. I have the same thing to a small degree about 65-75 mph,.. Its common and is usually the strut bars, and if not something in that general vicinity

If you've miced your rotors, and they are indeed warped, and they keep warping -- (Your sure of this, it stutters when you push the brakes.. --otherwise they aren't warped) -- Then do as was suggested get Brembo BLANKS, not slotted or drilled. They will hold up better than OEM, and have a less likely chance of warpage.

Brembo's with Factory pads should do you right on future warpage. It is where I'm going never on the fronts. Rear hardly ever warp.

Also, when you do your brakes (if they need to be done) -- Go ahead and put new pads on.. with the new rotors, and BED them properly. I dare say MOST people don't do this, not because they are idiots, but they just weren't told.

Bedding the rotors can go a long way in keeping them from warping for the life of the pads. (Just don't over do it on the bedding instructions.. ) It is all about heat, and you don't want them heated up too long to make the metal on the rotor malleable for warp.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

This article is intentional for performance brakes and rotors, so careful on the pressure you utilize. But it is still the same process.

Good luck, and let us know what is the cause and resolution.