LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Pics of an old LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 11:59 PM
tigerpwr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of an old LS

Some old pics of a friend's car, which I told him not to sell

I had not seen an all white LS before that one. This one had the gold package and car phone w/Nakamichi sound system. The only bad thing on the car was the steering wheel (hence the cover). Well, here ya go:

Old 03-30-08, 12:07 AM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

That looks to be in really good shape. Did ur friend just sell it recently? Post pics of the car that he got after the LS, I (and all from CL) would like to see so that we can bash him.
Old 03-30-08, 12:08 AM
tigerpwr
Driver School Candidate

one more side by side:
Old 03-30-08, 02:22 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow! That one looks to be in very good condition, very clean in and out. It's a shame your friend had to sell it.
Old 03-30-08, 07:15 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And it was monotone - looked to be in sold shape - wonder what he traded for?
Old 03-30-08, 07:21 AM
Rocan
Pole Position

I've seen the all white before. I have yet to see a blue or red LS though. i think i might paint mine a dark dark blue to replace the nice but not my style gold.

Why did he sell it?
Old 03-30-08, 10:30 AM
tigerpwr
Driver School Candidate

The LS was sold about 2 years ago, and since then he's been through about 7-8 cars. On average he keeps a car about 3 months before getting tired of it and selling it. The LS actually was one of the first cars he's kept for a longer period (a little less than a year) which is exactly what I anticipated when he bought it. After driving mine, he was set on getting a LS, and thats what he did 2 weeks later.

Basically, in the end he wanted an E46 3-series really bad. Kinda sad because he really got screwed over by the BMW reliability. Their parts must have a timer to break when the car hits 100K miles because thats exactly what happened.

The LS was only 160K miles young and still running strong. We changed the P/S pump and hose (dirtiest job ever!), and he did the rear end link bushings, and some transmission solenoids. Other than that it ran really strong. The guy that bought it needed a car for his family and i'm sure he's getting good use out of it.
Old 03-30-08, 11:43 AM
Rocan
Pole Position

how do people have the cash for a new car every three months? thats just retarded if you ask me.
Old 03-30-08, 12:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocan
how do people have the cash for a new car every three months? thats just retarded if you ask me.
not if u sell each car for close to what you put into it, not difficult if u look for the right car and pay only what you want to

not hard....
Old 03-30-08, 01:53 PM
tigerpwr
Driver School Candidate

He doesn't buy new cars. It's mostly craigslist finds. Dealers are rip offs
Old 03-30-08, 02:01 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Buying and selling cars can be a headache.. but you get surprisingly good and efficient at it. -- It isn't my bag of tea,.. but I know several people who like to swap cars often.

To me I like to keep a car for a good few years at least. Lets me get familiar with it, and all the work I put in the car I reap the benefits. I never sell cars because they are broken or about to break in some horrible way. It is generally just to get something that has caught my attention in a major way.

That car looks fantastic, and your right I rarely see a non- 2tone all white LS of the 1st gen.

Condition is great from pics,.. leather looks fantastic.

I hate steering wheel covers though =/
Old 03-30-08, 02:01 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
not if u sell each car for close to what you put into it, not difficult if u look for the right car and pay only what you want to

not hard....
Up until I bought my current LS (which Ive had for almost a year, a new record for me!! ) I only kept cars between 3-4 months each... 300zxTT, Vette, Gs400, 1990 Mustang 5.0, etc.... I bought them all through Manheim dealer auctions, which I am part of, being a dealer myself. I only lost money on the GS400 (including all repairs, tires, etc...) as my girlfriend smashed the front bumper, and I sold it that way.

You can pretty easy make, or at least break even, on a car if you get it for a good enough deal. I paid 4500 total for my LS400 now which has 114k miles on the clock, and I doubt Ill get out of what I put in it... so at this point I plan on keeping it for a long time!
Old 03-30-08, 02:11 PM
tigerpwr
Driver School Candidate

Yep, he cleaned it up real nice. Below are some pictures from the week it was purchased. It doesn't take much if you have the patience and general knowledge. Luckily we found a FSM...made all repairs 10x easier!

Old 03-30-08, 02:25 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

good point about not losing anything on the car. I think id still like to keep my cars for a few years at a time. It gives the car sentimental value. for example, my grandfather has had his 1985 Bronco since 1985, and though he got a subaru this year for practicality reasons, he still has the bronco and is currently restoring it.
Old 03-30-08, 03:18 PM
tigerpwr
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately sentimental value doesn't = $$$, the same reason I had a hard time selling my first car, a mint 1988 Camry LE.

Quick Reply: Pics of an old LS