LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help using cassette adapter with 1990 LS400 - keeps ejecting

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 04:24 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help using cassette adapter with 1990 LS400 - keeps ejecting

I have a 1990 Lexus LS400 with a Nakamichi sound system. I want to use a cassette adapter to play my iPod through the stereo, but the adapter ejects itself after about 3 seconds in the tape player. I believe this is because the adapter has a wire coming out of the player to the iPod and the tape player has a flap that needs to close and is stopped by the cord. Is there anyone who has bypassed/fixed this problem? Please help, I really appreciate it!

calvin2376@aol.com
Old 03-29-08, 05:48 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your adaptor is bad. try with a new one. flap is not involved.
Old 03-29-08, 06:11 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

test your cassete player with a normal cassette. Pioneer cassette players go bad frequently. trust me.

edit- except you have nakamichi.... so i guess your adapter must be bad. check with a normal cassette first though.
Old 03-29-08, 06:36 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent tried a cassette adapter yet because I have the CD changer. But what is the quality of the sound of an Ipod going through the cassette player though?
Old 03-29-08, 07:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

crap.
same with FM transmitter.
Old 03-29-08, 08:09 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yup..im running a FM transmitter and it really is crap. dont have the CD mag and 30bucks to replace....prob gonna go carpc later on so no worries for now.
Old 03-30-08, 06:14 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Havent tried a cassette adapter yet because I have the CD changer. But what is the quality of the sound of an Ipod going through the cassette player though?
not crap at all.....my cassette adapter sounds great....i bought a good one for about $20.

mp3's can only sound so good....they'll never sound like cd's no matter what you do.

now the fm transmitters? they DO sound like crap....
Old 03-30-08, 12:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

actually both FM and cassete limit the frequency available (clip off highs and lows).

most of my mp3s are 320kbps or higher, thats BETTER than CD quality
Old 03-30-08, 01:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, not real sure why you believe MP3's cannot sound like CD's? Most music cd's are in .CDA format. It is still compressed audio. All audio is put into some compression scheme.

MP3 is simply another, more efficient version.

What matters is the Bitrate is is recorded at, and of course the quality in which it was recorded.

ie: Re-recording a 144Khz cd quailty song at 320K isn't going to do anything but waste space, and a 'copy' of a copy (If done OA) is generally 2nd or 3rd generation and is worse.

But, if remastered at a higher bitrate it is , indeed, better. (No you don't need the band to remaster). At any rate, at minimum the Studio quality is achieved from an MP3 if the source is, that quality.

I prefer MP3's to cd's.. Easier to work with.. thousands upon thousands on a single flash/thumb drive -- Or your Ipod, either way no switching out for 12-18songs

But to the original question -- I believe it has been answered fairly well.

The Cassette adapter is not going to sound any better than your best 'cassette' is going to sound. Which surprisingly isn't 'that' bad. But it isn't CD quality. IE: Metal cassettes on Hi-Fi weren't just awful, new anyways.
Old 03-30-08, 02:37 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
not crap at all.....my cassette adapter sounds great....i bought a good one for about $20.

mp3's can only sound so good....they'll never sound like cd's no matter what you do.

now the fm transmitters? they DO sound like crap....
Yea dude, I'm an audiophile and my sony cassette adapter, along with my ipod and nak tape deck sounds awesome. Nak tape decks produce almost no hiss. Even at full treble.

CD quality yo, but i did enhance all my MP3's to have surround sound. But even friends ipods with decent mp3s sound good.

And don't go sayin i don't know awesome. I have Shure SE530 headphones.

FM trans though.... they SUCK!

Last edited by omarg; 03-30-08 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-30-08, 05:21 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

there has been much debate on the sound quality of mp3's vs the 16-bit linear pcm used in producing audio cd's......if you guys think your mp3's are better than cd's, think again.... the music contained in mp3 files represents less than 10 percent of the original music on the cd's

read this:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DDEJR7KN11.DTL

anyway, to try and stay on topic, i love my tape adapter...i had a direct connection in my previous car and it honestly didn't sound any better...the sound quality is great....i'll be using it until i decide to install a new stereo..
Old 03-30-08, 07:44 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quality is also relative to the listeners ear.

Pulse code modulation is great,.. but the difference in MP3 format and that of an acutal CD isn't great. It is OFTEN very different due to recording/copying/digitizing to another format , compression schemes and so forth. But if done correctly it is either very, very simliar or sometimes better than another 'version' of the same song on different medium.

I have a very selective ear as I am a musician, and I can tell the MP3's that are off, and those that aren't. MP3's that rival or beat CD quality do, indeed, exist.

By virtue of compressing a WAV file, is what is creating this debacle.. but that is an ongoing debate and has significant facts behind it. I still judge by ear and not empirical evidence. Ignorant bliss is fine for me =)

You say your tape adaptor didn't sound any different than a 'direct connection' -- Again showing that the quality is in the ear of the beholder. Which is all that really matters, imho.

But the issue is the deck releasing the adaptor. Did we resolve this?
Old 03-30-08, 08:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I also used a casette adapter for a short while... With limited success. Then I gave up, and just installed an aftermarket headunit with AUX input.
Old 03-31-08, 06:41 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neofate

I have a very selective ear as I am a musician,
me too

Originally Posted by Neofate
But the issue is the deck releasing the adaptor. Did we resolve this?
we pretty much told him to try a different adapter....
Old 07-09-11, 08:42 AM
DallLex
Driver School Candidate

Smile clean the tape player

my ipod cassette adapter kept ejecting, 3-4x within a 5 minute period, really frustrating. changed adapters, but the problem continued. before spending big bucks to install a new sound system or a more expensive ipod adapter, i purchased a name-brand audio head cleaner/demagnetizer off ebay, spent all of $7 (including S&H) ran it a couple of times, and the ipod adapter hasn't self-ejected once.

Quick Reply: Need help using cassette adapter with 1990 LS400 - keeps ejecting