LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My car wont reach the normal operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 08:55 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bali26
maybe because hot water comes in hot thru top of radiator and cools down by the time it exits bottom?
Hmm, I didn't think of it this way. Does anyone know which way the coolant runs through the cooling system? Which is the intake coolant hose and which is the return hose?
Old 04-06-08, 09:35 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
I'll chance my 'fan bracket' to the stressors it was engineered for -- I don't need my engine bay running any cooler than it already does. My LS already cools a bit too much as it currently stands,.. Running the engine temp an lower than it warms to would be more harmful than good. (In my scenario).

You've really got to do some altering of pulley drag to get any signficant HP from it. Removing the fan might give you 2-4hp,.. No one can feel 5hp,.. you just can't. Now mess with the alt. pulley, remove AC compressor, or change pulley.. (basically do them all to some degree) and you might gain 10hp. At the cost of charging issues, and waterpump working slower and so forth. Better ways to get horsepower than pulleys.

But if anything, yes, swapping in adequate electrical fans would be the most sensible alteration to Serp. belt , drive pulley drag. -- You say your engine bay runs alot cooler? What does this translate to? Significantly lower engine temperature? It feels nice when you open your hood for a nice breeze?
I can see where you're coming from, but when my fan clutch start to wobble, I opted to run the electric fan conversion. Am I saying it is better than what Toyota designed it for now? Yes, to a point. They opted for the fan due to noise. I opt for better cooling.

Engine bay gets nice and warm, and then rubber things start to go south very fast.

Can I feel a difference in engine performance with this mod? Oh yes, in this damn car, any hp increase is noticeable...

I'm sure skperformance, Lextreme, and choice others agree with me on these points...
Old 04-15-08, 09:45 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by avalon42
I can see where you're coming from, but when my fan clutch start to wobble, I opted to run the electric fan conversion. Am I saying it is better than what Toyota designed it for now? Yes, to a point. They opted for the fan due to noise. I opt for better cooling.

Engine bay gets nice and warm, and then rubber things start to go south very fast.

Can I feel a difference in engine performance with this mod? Oh yes, in this damn car, any hp increase is noticeable...

I'm sure skperformance, Lextreme, and choice others agree with me on these points...
For instance my GS430 has no engine fan at all, just two radiator fans. Much cleaner bay design, less stuff on the serpantine belt. I wonder if LS400 could run without this fan as well, afterall the engine blocks are nearly identical.
Old 04-15-08, 09:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

You know, I have a reason to suspect that the water pump I put in, as well as the timing belt and tensioner, are not for a 1994 LS, but for a 1995-1997. See, when I ordered these parts from a Lexus dealer, I also bought a set of brake pad, and specified that all these parts were for a 1994 LS. However, the brake pads turned out to be for a 1995-1997, so I ended up sending them back. It just occured to me, what if the rest of the parts were for a 1995-1997 as well? They should be pretty much identical, but I read somewhere that a 1st gen LS400 water pump had six fins, while the 2nd gen has 12 fins. Obviously, theres no way for me to determine how many fins this pump has without removing it, and I lost all my order receipts. But if it is indeed a 2nd gen pump, and I'm actually getting more efficient cooling, it may not be such a bad thing after all.
Old 04-16-08, 04:03 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You know, I have a reason to suspect that the water pump I put in, as well as the timing belt and tensioner, are not for a 1994 LS, but for a 1995-1997. See, when I ordered these parts from a Lexus dealer, I also bought a set of brake pad, and specified that all these parts were for a 1994 LS. However, the brake pads turned out to be for a 1995-1997, so I ended up sending them back. It just occured to me, what if the rest of the parts were for a 1995-1997 as well? They should be pretty much identical, but I read somewhere that a 1st gen LS400 water pump had six fins, while the 2nd gen has 12 fins. Obviously, theres no way for me to determine how many fins this pump has without removing it, and I lost all my order receipts. But if it is indeed a 2nd gen pump, and I'm actually getting more efficient cooling, it may not be such a bad thing after all.
FYI, the 1st generation water pump has 7 rotor blades, not 6.
Old 04-16-08, 04:10 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jesus dude, i skimmed over the thread so apologies if i missed it... but have you seriously not just taken the 5 minutes out of your day to pull the thermostat housing off and look at the stat? its a $12 part and it takes a pair of pliers and either a 10 or 12mm wrench to remove, you will spill maybe 3 ounces of coolant....
Old 04-16-08, 08:00 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by turbosix
jesus dude, i skimmed over the thread so apologies if i missed it... but have you seriously not just taken the 5 minutes out of your day to pull the thermostat housing off and look at the stat? its a $12 part and it takes a pair of pliers and either a 10 or 12mm wrench to remove, you will spill maybe 3 ounces of coolant....

I replaced the thermostat, and its still doing the same thing. I believe I stated that in one of my posts.
Old 04-16-08, 08:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sonyman
FYI, the 1st generation water pump has 7 rotor blades, not 6.
Thanks for the info. The second gen has 12, right?
Old 04-16-08, 08:29 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thanks for the info. The second gen has 12, right?
Correct.
Old 04-16-08, 08:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Great... I could be driving with a wrong timing belt and water pump, lol.
Old 04-17-08, 12:23 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Great... I could be driving with a wrong timing belt and water pump, lol.
Let us know. I'd like to see if a 12 vs. 7 fin water pump is more efficient. I'll go that route if it is.
Old 04-17-08, 03:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by avalon42
Let us know. I'd like to see if a 12 vs. 7 fin water pump is more efficient. I'll go that route if it is.
Well, I cant find out unless I take it apart again, and I'm just not doing that.
Old 04-17-08, 12:03 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och

I replaced the thermostat, and its still doing the same thing. I believe I stated that in one of my posts.
apologies... i didnt see it, but then again i had read this thread once before and just kinda tried to skim it to update myself if any solution had been found
Old 04-18-08, 12:14 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Well, I cant find out unless I take it apart again, and I'm just not doing that.
Aww cmon. Maybe you'll find out there is no fins on the water pump at all...
Old 04-20-08, 09:20 PM
cjmeyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 95 that I just purchased a few weeks ago would not go past the first line on the coolant gauge but I noticed today that it was up close to the 2nd line which would put it in the cool end of the normal range.This car was not driven more than 350 miles the past 3 years so I think the Tstat was frozen a little.I also noticed the gauge sticks sometimes along with the tach and speedo.A slight rap to the dash seems to unfreeze it

Quick Reply: My car wont reach the normal operating temperature.