LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My car wont reach the normal operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 04:04 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Ok an update.

Great, but the car still doesn't reach its normal temperature. The thing is, I would think that its the temperature sender unit, but that cant be, because the radiator fans never turn on either, and they are controlled by a different sensor/switch. Even with the AC button on, the fans do not come on. I don't know what else to think.
Which fan does not turn on? The BIG engine fan? or two smaller electric fans?

Is the BIG fan always supposed to be on even when cold started?

Im struggling with overcooling myself.
Old 03-31-08, 04:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The big fan is mechanical, its always on.

The two electric fans do not come one.
Old 03-31-08, 06:29 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

But isnt it bad design to run fan when engine is trying to warm up? Is there a clutch system in fan housing? What is that for?

Thanks
Old 03-31-08, 06:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well some people replace the mechanical belt with an electric one. Apparently more efficient and less noise. But for what its involved, I dont think its worth it.
Old 03-31-08, 11:05 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

But isnt it bad design to run fan when engine is trying to warm up? Is there a clutch system in fan housing? What is that for?
Originally Posted by Och
Well some people replace the mechanical belt with an electric one. Apparently more efficient and less noise. But for what its involved, I dont think its worth it.

No, not bad design.. It just isn't 'perfect' -- An engine is going to warm up regardless, and rather quickly no matter what fan is going.

Ideally, yes, the fan would come at at a set coolant/engine temperature -- But that would defeat the whole design of both drivebelt fan and electric fans.

There isn't any damage occuring to the engine by taking a few seconds longer to warm up to operating temp due to the fan turning by the Serp. belt. Those who convert are doing so out of boredom or false information or something. On a stock LS, there is absolutely no reason to convert it.. -- Well, it would reduce residual pulley drag, granting a 'few' horsepower I would imagine, but that is so not worth it as Och said.

If you were drag racing the LS (for some reason) then yeah.. change it out for those extra few precious HP, while your at it, relocate the battery to the trunk, take out the AC condensor/compressor, remove EGR, take out passenger and backseat and so on -- Just no point.
Old 04-06-08, 02:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Ok, I noticed that the top of my radiator gets really hot, to the point that you cant hold your hand on it for more than a second or so. But the bottom of the radiator is barely warm, I can hold my hand on it for as long as I wish. However both radiator hoses are pretty damn hot.
Old 04-06-08, 03:16 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Hrmm -- think it might be time to take it to a shop? What about a radiator flush with a machine? See if anything is leaking/stopped up/pressure -- and so forth?
Old 04-06-08, 03:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you guys realize that hot water is less dense than cold water and therefore will float over cooler water right....?
Old 04-06-08, 04:12 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

lol PD -- That was my first thought when I read Och's last post. But I thought nahh.. No point in being an ****

The top of the radiator is hotter than the bottom, generally.. But BOTH should be fairly warm.

But the bottom of the radiator is barely warm
Old 04-06-08, 04:34 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Those who convert are doing so out of boredom or false information or something. On a stock LS, there is absolutely no reason to convert it.. -- Well, it would reduce residual pulley drag, granting a 'few' horsepower I would imagine, but that is so not worth it as Och said.
Less wear and tear on the fan bracket, engine and engine bay runs a LOT cooler, free up some horsepower are just some of the benefits...I'm running the mod and it is very much worth it IMHO...
Old 04-06-08, 05:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

meh, id only do the electric fan conversion if my oem hydraulic one gave out.
Old 04-06-08, 05:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna try touching the radiator in my GS when I get a chance... I wonder how hot it is compared to my LS.

With that being said... the temperature sensor that turns on the radiator fans is on the bottom of the radiator. So with the bottom of radiator staying cold, no wonder these fans never turn on. This crap is gonna make me go nuts.
Old 04-06-08, 06:24 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

maybe because hot water comes in hot thru top of radiator and cools down by the time it exits bottom?
Old 04-06-08, 06:56 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with PD, ... I'd never take out my perfectly good mech. fan to convert to electrical. The couple horsepower you won't feel anywhere but in your head isn't worth the hassle. Now if it gave out I *might* consider it due to a repair needed anyway.

Och -- Those two electrical fans don't come on that much. On my LS400 I never saw them on.. I finally figured out I had to have the engine warmed up a little, and have the AC turned on for the car to signal to turn the fans on. Once I turned AC off, they immediately shut off. With my engine at full operating temp, those fans never come on when I have the hood popped. Which makes me think they don't ever come on in my case unless the AC is running.
Old 04-06-08, 07:01 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by avalon42
Less wear and tear on the fan bracket, engine and engine bay runs a LOT cooler, free up some horsepower are just some of the benefits...I'm running the mod and it is very much worth it IMHO...

I'll chance my 'fan bracket' to the stressors it was engineered for -- I don't need my engine bay running any cooler than it already does. My LS already cools a bit too much as it currently stands,.. Running the engine temp an lower than it warms to would be more harmful than good. (In my scenario).

You've really got to do some altering of pulley drag to get any signficant HP from it. Removing the fan might give you 2-4hp,.. No one can feel 5hp,.. you just can't. Now mess with the alt. pulley, remove AC compressor, or change pulley.. (basically do them all to some degree) and you might gain 10hp. At the cost of charging issues, and waterpump working slower and so forth. Better ways to get horsepower than pulleys.

But if anything, yes, swapping in adequate electrical fans would be the most sensible alteration to Serp. belt , drive pulley drag. -- You say your engine bay runs alot cooler? What does this translate to? Significantly lower engine temperature? It feels nice when you open your hood for a nice breeze?

Quick Reply: My car wont reach the normal operating temperature.