LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
Old 01-09-15, 11:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Tail Light Removal/Installation - DIY

Old 03-26-08, 12:07 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DIY - Tail Light Removal/Installation - DIY

This is a procedure, very very simple, to remove a corner taillight from a First Gen LS 400. I did it without any instruction and it took maybe 15minutes to figure things out. I just took some pictures to make a write up so that it might help someone else who wants the dealership to do it for some crazy amount of money.

Anyhow lets get started.

1) Open your trunk.

2) Take out the clips that are holding the corner carpet in place:

That is an example of one clip for the right corner -- There are a total of 3 that need to be removed to get the carpet back enough to have room to work.

3) Remove the plastic housing that extends along the base of the trunk lip.

This pops out , and is held into place by self inserting and releasing clips. Just tug at it.

4) Pull the carpet back enough to work.

5) The corner tail light only has two bolts to remove. (Remove them with a 10mm socket or wrench)

**Note: To your left you should have a car toolset, in the trunk. If so, there is a 10mm box wrench.

6) On the other side of the housing you will see two white square clips. Nothing special about these either. You will push down on the plastic releases on the top and bottom generally. The light will now come out.

6b) Unhook the electrical wire before removing -- It has a boot that goes through the hole. This very easily just pulls out from the outside of the car.

-----
The taillight out of the vehicle -- Pretty isn't it?
-----

7) Your new tail light (or used) may or may not have these white clips on it. Mine did not. So to exhange them, the white clips simply pry off. (Nothing special)

8) You will want to exhange the clips in these locations:

9) Before putting in the new taillight -- You want to test the light bulbs to ensure they are working. Put it in the trunk and just plug it in as shown:

10) -- Of course installation is reverse of removal.

Again, this procedure it about like checking the air in your tires,.. nothing to it.

Take care,
Old 03-26-08, 02:10 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

didnt u buy driver side taillight too?
Old 03-26-08, 02:14 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yup -- but my driver side is fine as is. Only the pass. side was cracked. No need to replace the driver side. So I have the driver side as a 'backup' in case I crack it. Or if someone needs a driver side I can sell it to them.. shrug.
Old 03-26-08, 02:34 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

how much for it?? my driver side is cracked and has some water inside...can i also get some pictures of it sent to my PM so i dont crowd up ur thread?
Old 03-26-08, 02:43 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Sure I'll throw you a PM. I'll let it go for $25. -- *Note: Sold*

Last edited by Neofate; 03-26-08 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-26-08, 04:39 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If people can't figure out how to remove a taillight on their own they have no business touching a car.
Old 03-26-08, 05:07 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I was waiting on this response

There are plenty of people who can't figure this out. I assure you. Many of them are women, simply too afraid to touch the car. I assure you also there are many people who would end up breaking something doing this.

The white clips/snaps on the left side of the light for example,.. Would be broken by many a folk.

You are right though, someone who couldn't figure this out doesn't really need to be working mechanically, as they simply don't have the innate ability. With that said, with a little guide people who otherwise wouldn't even attempt to figure something simple like this out will do so.. and to their amazement do it quickly and painlessly.

This also serves as a round about way to replace bulbs in the taillight.

Simply opening the trunk doesn't expose the bulb backings. You do have to remove the carpet clips, and the plastic housing that extends across the entire edge of the trunk lip , then pull the edge of carpeting back.

I never said it was hard, in fact I mentioned it was about like checking the air pressure in your tires.

Though I appreciate your helpful criticism.
Old 03-26-08, 07:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

nice work
Old 03-26-08, 08:38 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Neofat,
I figured how to replace my tail lights and did them all BUT DO YOU KNOW IF ANYONE MAKES A LED REPLACEMENT LIGHT THE BULBS IN OUR LEXUS ARE PUT IN AT AN ANGLE Making it hard to use a standard led bulb or does some out there make a bulb for the lexus. Also thanks for the information on the person here in California who repairs the speedometers for the lexus. One other thing where can a person buy a clear turning signal for the front of the 1990 to 1995 lexus. Thanks for the help Bill.
Old 03-26-08, 08:50 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

its 1990-1994. 95 wont fit. u can try ebay cuz they have plenty and i think luxurymods have them too but never used them before.
Old 03-26-08, 10:12 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBrewster
If people can't figure out how to remove a taillight on their own they have no business touching a car.
Semi true but let me tell you replacing the third tail light is one pain in the @$$ hehe
Old 03-27-08, 11:40 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Bill,

I have absolutely no idea on if anyone makes an LED for the LS 400, esp. First gen for the Tail light. I do know it wouldn't be hard to fabricate in though. Yes they go in at an angle, but a bulb is a bulb, and there is alot of room to work with. I would experiment with several LED's .. like say --

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-00...spagenameZWDVW

And get it wired in yourself. This would be an easy modification , matching the right intensity would be key.

I think I'm going to start playing around with LED's here soon. They seem to last a long time.

Also, your welcome for the information from your PM.

The third brake light is a pain? I know getting that cover off isn't hard.. Hrmm I'll have to look at it.
Old 03-27-08, 01:30 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the how to, and i cant help but agree with JBrewster. This is definitely helpful to those who are confused by the smooth, "invisible" bolt setup that the ls400 has.
Old 03-27-08, 03:53 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrewster
Even the most experienced mechanic in the entire world had to start at some point, and not everyone is at the same skill level you believe YOU are at. Assuming someone "has no business touching a car" if they don't know the simplest of procedures (to you, anyway) is to deny a potential windfall of information from such a person when they endeavor to tackle such "simple" problems themselves and start learning how to work on cars.

I pulled the engine on an '88 Prelude before I had ever changed the oil in a car that I owned. I had to LEARN how to change the oil in my car. I would have been such a person you assumed "had no business touching a car" if all you knew was that I didn't know how to change the oil in one, yet I was able to follow simple directions in a book to perform far more major tasks.

Be careful what you proclaim as your gospel.
Old 03-27-08, 05:54 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone is entitled to their opinions guys.. No reason to get into a fit here

Anyhow, as fate would have it my Driver side (the one I didn not replace) -- upper light on the tail light went out. (The driving light, top light). I was like, goodness.. heh.

Luckily I had the broken /cracked tailight sitting in the garage, and I thought I'll just reach in there and twist the old out and new in.

Wrong -- I popped the trunk and was like, oh yeah -- I'm gonng have to remove the tail light completely to change this bulb. Sigh.

No big deal,.. but come on Lexus. Is in necessary to not have a metal opening under the carpet to pull the taillight bulb out with? Removing the entire enclosure is a touch rediculous for a simply bulb change imho.

About a 10minute procedure if you take your time. Again, nothing big -- but this guide ties right in for someone who wants to change a blown bulb. You remove the taillight itself.. so here you go

Also, I wasn't insinuating this was the limits of my knowledge,.. as it isn't of course. I see no limits in what I will and won't do to a car. I'm willing to get into anything. Tools are my only limiting factor. I will tear into this engine and rebuild it one if need be.

Though, say suspension work -- or Tranny work -- I'd really need a lift and impact tools/compression tools (maybe) to do it properly and safely. So some things you just have to bite the bullet and let a shop do it.

The more you do to your automobile, from simple changing a light bulb, to medicore plug change, to a head gasket -- All gets you that much more intimate with the vehicle, and YOU do it right, because you are vested in the ownership of the vehicle. So it is likely done better than anyone else would have. You have the time, you go the extra mile, you clean up areas that never would have gotten cleaned up -- You use the new gaskets, put the extra sealant in.. actually torque bolts that most mechanics don't bother with and so forth.

I also think working mechanically helps intelligence, especially figuring things out. Even simple as the taillight. Going in blind, and figuring it out as you go makes you work parts of the brain that you don't work all the time. I have a theory on it but wont' get into it. Bottom line you come out with a great sense of accomplishment when done. It also boosts self esteem and self worth , believe it or not. That you are capable of doing x and y -- Taking care of something people consider 'difficult' (average joe or sally) yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY - Tail Light Removal/Installation - DIY