LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Want more from you LS? Supercharge it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-08, 08:21 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Want more from you LS? Supercharge it!

Hey guys.

I have a 95 SC400 that I have supercharged and I thought you guys might be interested in seeing it.

Used "the fish" bracket from Lextreme.com to bolt on a Vortech supercharger. The bracket was originally made for the LS. Of course, everything else is kind of a figure it out as you go thing.

Anyway, won't elaborate too much here, here are some links.

My build thread. It's not very organized, but if you read through it, there is some good information here and there. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=312268

Dyno numbers. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=231
and.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=232

If you go to youtube and search for my user name "KC95SC400", you'll see some vids.

Here's a fairly recent pic, although I just decided to put the intercooler back in.

Thanks,

KC
Attached Thumbnails Want more from you LS? Supercharge it!-dscf7185.jpg  
Old 03-23-08, 08:56 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool. I've been reading stuff over at Lextreme, but more interested in the M90/M115 talk. The fish bracket I can dig, but I see you've done a fair share of relocating stuff (like the battery) and the main fuse box.
Old 03-23-08, 09:31 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent job. Do all this work yourself I assume? (I didn't read your build thread). If so, bravo, looks nice and clean, and professional.

So this bracket was designed for the LS?

The 90's LS and SC's were very closely related . Shared engines and so forth. So what you can do to yours, we to ours, and vice versa.

Though it is a different crowd in the Luxury Sedans than the Sport Coupes.. but on this forum you would have more people interested in putting a blower on their Sedan than anywhere else

Going to read your Dyno reports, to see what kind of numbers we are talking.

I won't ever do it -- but what is your opinion on supercharging an LS with over 200k on the clock? I'd think the engine couldn't handle it -- But maybe these are just so darn reliable that a light trim Paxton or Vortech would be alright. Maybe single digit psi, 2-5?
Old 03-24-08, 12:51 AM
tigerpwr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a sweet setup...sounds awesome in the videos.
Old 03-24-08, 12:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ehh, nice work and all im just not a fan of centrifugal superchargers to the work you put in and the result tho
Old 03-24-08, 05:15 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

To answer everyone's questions.

I would suggest you do your own research if you would like to use the fish, but I'm pretty sure all the LS doesn't require any mod to the fuse box. You will need to relocate the batter though.

Yes, I've done all the work myself, I'm a Toyota tech. Anyone whocan do their own timing belt and figure out the belt alignment, would have no problems bolting on this bracket.

I think pretty much everyone thinks these V8's are under powered, luxo and sport guys alike.

I'm not unhappy with the dyno results, but I'm fairly sure I can squeeze out more with a few tweaks here and there.

I can't speak for your motor with 200k, but mine has 130k and I've had no problems with the motor itself. I did have quite a few issues along the way, nothing that shouldn't be expected when boosting a 12-13 year old car with some miles on it.

Nothing against the roots blowers, but if you look at dyno numbers, the centrifugals almost always make more power at the same psi.

KC
Old 03-24-08, 01:51 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Good stuff,..

From your dyno, the curves look good -- The horsepower, while substantial, can be much better of course. The effort should net more result. (As I think your implying)

As for Superchargers vs Turbo -- I like them both, both have their pro's and con's. I like the 'always on' pro of the Supercharger -- But I like the 'turbo'.. or rather 'boost building and release' of the turbo .

I did notice that your not running an extremely agressive PSI,.. have you thought of bumping that up as a first measure ?

Or are you trying to work around making what you have more efficient (eliminating bottle necks in your engine) first?
Old 03-24-08, 01:52 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job man!
Old 03-24-08, 02:55 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I think the nice flat curve is impressive. I think that it would make more power with a better run also, starting from 3k. The operator had a bit of trouble getting everything to work. I had to disconnect the throttle cable to keep it from downshifting to 2nd, also, he had a hard time getting a good RPM signal. By the time everything was working, I think he was a bit frustrated and just wanted to get the car off the dyno.

From all the dyno results I've seen on boosted 1uz's, I'm about average. The order of power per psi seems to be roots, centrifugal, turbo. Turbo is of course better for top numbers.

I think making what I have efficient as possible is the ideal first step. I'm not sure I could run any smaller of a pulley without slippage problems. I'm already using a 2.4inch and I've only seen one that is a tad smaller, would likely only give me 1 psi or so. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options to up the crank pulley size. The easiest way for me to make more power would be to throw on a V1 or V2. The little V-9 I am using is a bit small for the motor. But, I'm pretty broke at the moment and won't be able to afford that anytime soon.

I decided to put my intercooler back in. I didn't like the way the car drove with it in the past, but since fixing a few problems and converting over to speed density (and getting rid of the MAF sensor completely) it seems much better than it was. This should of course make more power. I am also trying to figure out a way to improve the intake side of the supercharger. I also, in theory, will be getting headers soon, I imagine a pretty significant increase from ditching the stock manifolds.

Lastly, this car is my daily driver, so I'm not looking to make stupid power. I'm looking to get the car up to where it should have been from the factory while keeping some resemblance of reliability.

KC

Originally Posted by Neofate
Good stuff,..

From your dyno, the curves look good -- The horsepower, while substantial, can be much better of course. The effort should net more result. (As I think your implying)

As for Superchargers vs Turbo -- I like them both, both have their pro's and con's. I like the 'always on' pro of the Supercharger -- But I like the 'turbo'.. or rather 'boost building and release' of the turbo .

I did notice that your not running an extremely agressive PSI,.. have you thought of bumping that up as a first measure ?

Or are you trying to work around making what you have more efficient (eliminating bottle necks in your engine) first?
Old 03-24-08, 05:10 PM
bunta
Pole Position

too bad power is kinna useless without LSD for us LS ppl
Old 03-24-08, 08:26 PM
jermdogg
Driver School Candidate

Holy negativity, Batman!

I say: Awesome feat of courage and engineering. Don't let any of the 'nay' sayers make you think otherwise. Most of us forum cruizers are well versed in the "theory" of mechanics (i.e. boost, for this example), but very few of us have actually applied these mechanics, which you clearly have, and it looks beautiful.

All those who have actually built a boosted 1uz raise your hand...that's right, props to KC95sc400.
Old 03-24-08, 09:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by jermdogg
Holy negativity, Batman!

I say: Awesome feat of courage and engineering. Don't let any of the 'nay' sayers make you think otherwise. Most of us forum cruizers are well versed in the "theory" of mechanics (i.e. boost, for this example), but very few of us have actually applied these mechanics, which you clearly have, and it looks beautiful.

All those who have actually built a boosted 1uz raise your hand...that's right, props to KC95sc400.
huh, who said anything like what you're implying....

OP: so you went MAP Ecu i take it? hows the tuning working out? where'd u grab the basemap from?
Old 03-24-08, 09:34 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Maftpro. http://www.maftpro.com/tproinfo.shtml

Much cheaper than the MAP ECU and has more features, it's more comparable to the MAP ECU 2.

And the tech support is awesome. Need something custom, just ask them. Turbo Bob from the tech support forums is looking into timing control on the 1uz for me for example.

Tuning with it is fairly easy. Works about 99% flawlessly, I'm still having a few closed loop problems. Did I mention I put 315cc Supra injectors in?

KC

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
huh, who said anything like what you're implying....

OP: so you went MAP Ecu i take it? hows the tuning working out? where'd u grab the basemap from?
Old 03-24-08, 09:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Maftpro. http://www.maftpro.com/tproinfo.shtml

Much cheaper than the MAP ECU and has more features, it's more comparable to the MAP ECU 2.

And the tech support is awesome. Need something custom, just ask them. Turbo Bob from the tech support forums is looking into timing control on the 1uz for me for example.

Tuning with it is fairly easy. Works about 99% flawlessly, I'm still having a few closed loop problems. Did I mention I put 315cc Supra injectors in?

KC
any particular reason you didnt go with the bigger RX7 injectors? overkill or just hard to find?
Old 03-24-08, 10:02 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

One of the main reasons I posted this thread on the LS side is to share what I have done and point out the performance possibilities of the 1UZ.

Until this bracket, it's safe to say that there aren't any easy ways to improve the performance of the LS or the SC without spending a ton of time and a small fortune.

Sure, it's possible to put on a roots blower and there's even some "kits" for the 1UZ. But from everything I've read, there's still a ton of fabrication and money needed to make it right.

Sure, people have put turbo's on the 1UZ. But I wouldn't reccomend trying it yourself unless you have unlimited time, money and resources.

If you don't count all the time I've spent screwing around with different intake setups, fixing problems (mostly vacuum leaks and such) and being an FI newb, it took me half a day to bolt the blower on. If I were to do it all over again, I'd say it would take me about 2 days to bolt the blower on and figure out my intake piping. And I would spend alot less money than I have. Setup at bare minimum - Vortech was bought used off ebay $950, intake piping and intercooler $350, the bracket $100 (this was a group buy, may be more now), fuel management $400, and misc stuff we'll say $400. So $2200 for 140hp increase, a bargin really. Some people spend that much on wheels and tires and body kits. I'd rather go fast.

Overall, I've spent a ton of time on my car, mostly due to vac leaks and a few parts here and there that freaked out when boost was put on them. But, I would have to say that this is probably the cheapest, easiest, and one of the more effective ways to add performance to the Lexus 1UZ.

KC

Quick Reply: Want more from you LS? Supercharge it!