LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS 400 90,000 Mile Timing Belt Costs

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 11:19 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the 120K service was the timing belt?

Damn. I just hit 90K today....whyyyyyy?!?
Old 03-21-08, 11:26 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Well they can definitely go longer than 90k.. alot of people have made that 'not so smart' test -- Also on the bright side these engines are non interface (something like that anyway ) -- So IIRC if the timing belt does break on you your engine isn't toast like some timing disasters in other engines.

Nonetheless, it is highly recommended have it done, or do it yourself. (There is a howto on LexLS if you feel brave enough)
Old 03-22-08, 07:25 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
I thought the 120K service was the timing belt?

Damn. I just hit 90K today....whyyyyyy?!?
Yeah the 120,000k service includes spark plugs but not the timing belt. My motor is an interference and I believe from 95 to 2000 they all are. My mechanic said even though the belt may not look cracked like your serpentine drive belt it can fail. He says many cars have gone over by as much as 50,000 miles and never failed. It is a big gamble to take considering if it fails your valves come into contact with the piston(s). I didn't want to take the chance.

I think I could do it myself as it seems pretty straight forward - however the price seemed consistent with other shops and they had it done in one day.
Old 03-22-08, 09:43 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Steve are you going to clear choice?

Thats the cheapest and most reliable place to go.
Old 03-22-08, 10:14 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve did you check the timing belt yourself because most of the time they are good.......Mine lasted until 130,000 miles and it could have gone more.
Old 03-26-08, 07:43 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by j stuff
Steve are you going to clear choice?

Thats the cheapest and most reliable place to go.
Will try them next time
Old 03-26-08, 07:48 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Steve did you check the timing belt yourself because most of the time they are good.......Mine lasted until 130,000 miles and it could have gone more.

Yes I looked at it and it really didn't show any obvious signs of wear. The mechanic said they don't have to in order for them to fail. Since he did my first one and I was well over 90k I decided to go ahead and get it done since it would be due in the Summer.
Old 04-22-08, 05:44 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

steve howd it go?
Old 04-22-08, 08:03 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Just like the first time it works like new. I have over 209,000 miles and this engine is crazy solid. My mechanic opened the hood and pointed out no shakes or vibrations - just smooth as when it was new. I guess there are shops that are cheaper but these guys are good, reliable and trustworthy
Old 08-13-08, 02:56 PM
rrj_gamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
Just like the first time it works like new. I have over 209,000 miles and this engine is crazy solid. My mechanic opened the hood and pointed out no shakes or vibrations - just smooth as when it was new. I guess there are shops that are cheaper but these guys are good, reliable and trustworthy
I'm approaching 120,000 miles and I put in a call into C&C today and am awaiting their call back...I also called Clear Choice as noted above and they said for my 99' LS it would be 675 for the timing belt and another $250 for the water pump...They said they would only replace the other things listed below if it needed it...

Up here in Dallas, Davenport said all of this: Timing Belt and Water Pump, Idler and tension pulleys, crank shaft oil seal, thermostat, o rings would be approx. $1158 plus tax..Sewell Lexus up here charges over $2K

I thought you would want all the pulleys, idler, etc changed since you're down there...
Old 08-13-08, 05:43 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

IMHO $2,000 is not bad at all from the dealer back in 1985 approx. I had the timing chain gasket leak repair included rebuild water pump, cam seal, crank seal, all gaskets involved. The radiator had to be removed so it also was oil and anti-freeze etc. three days I remember a bill of $400 about.
Old 08-13-08, 06:25 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rrj_gamz
I'm approaching 120,000 miles and I put in a call into C&C today and am awaiting their call back...I also called Clear Choice as noted above and they said for my 99' LS it would be 675 for the timing belt and another $250 for the water pump...They said they would only replace the other things listed below if it needed it...

Up here in Dallas, Davenport said all of this: Timing Belt and Water Pump, Idler and tension pulleys, crank shaft oil seal, thermostat, o rings would be approx. $1158 plus tax..Sewell Lexus up here charges over $2K

I thought you would want all the pulleys, idler, etc changed since you're down there...

Davenport seems pretty reasonable honestly. As long as they are using OEM Lexus that is. I had all relevant parts changed as they list but also the service included brake flush, tranny & diff drain and refill, oil change, filter change, etc. As I recall there was a lot of extras they included which made it even more worthwhile. I couldn't see putting parts back on with 100,000+ miles on them even of they appear to be working correctly. Depending on your budget and if you will keep the car I would have them change all relevant parts.

Absolutely the dealer will always be higher though (more overhead). C & C and Clear Choice have Lexus certified mechanics so I would trust them.
Old 08-14-08, 01:26 PM
rrj_gamz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steveski
Absolutely the dealer will always be higher though (more overhead). C & C and Clear Choice have Lexus certified mechanics so I would trust them.
Just spoke to C&C and they quoted about $1260 plus tax for the same work you did on your car...We'l see, I'm leaning toward Davenport...
Old 08-15-08, 02:21 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Although C&C may do more in terms of fluid replacement, etc. Davenport is local to you so it is hard to beat that. I met the owner of Clear Choice today. He runs a nice shop - very clean and professional They are stricly OEM so when he saw my Lexus he said "oh my" you've done a lot of work on that
Old 08-15-08, 02:21 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Davenport guys are good & honest.
It just pisses me off that you are not allowed to bring in your own parts.

JPI in Garland has no problem with the owner supplying the parts.

Quick Reply: LS 400 90,000 Mile Timing Belt Costs