LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-22, 05:56 PM
yukinon
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP Strange noise

I'm not sure if I'm able to post videos on here, but I'll post the link to the youtube video. But has anyone ever heard this noise and know what it is?

This noise happened before I sent my ECU to get fixed because I just assumed that it went bad on me. So I'm hoping I don't have to spend anymore money if this was the noise that caused my car to break down.

Short story, my car died one night and wouldn't start back up after attempting to jump it, I replaced the battery, the car started up fine and drove home with no issues at all. The next morning I start my car, I hear a small subtle noise, nothing too loud that would concern me. But 5 minutes later I'm in my house and I hear this screeching noise. I immediately turn the car off. I decided to disconnect the battery and reconnect it a couple of times and start the car back up, it made the strange noise two more times after starting the car and then went away. Now comes the second sound, it sounds maybe like valve ticking? I'm not sure, but I wanted to see if I'd be able to drive to work so I drove around for a little bit and then the car just fell on its face. the car had no power at all, it felt sluggish and not drivable at all.

Maybe some belt or tensioner went loose? I'm not really sure what it is and was hoping maybe someone in hear has experienced this before and figured it out. I'm still waiting to get my ECU back to see if it starts and runs fine, so im not really able to tell what's the actual cause of my car making this noise.

Old 12-14-22, 02:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I hear a variety of sounds that would concern me. Any error codes?

Make sure all the ignition coils are functioning. Remove the serpentine belt and check the pulleys along with idlers for any run out-wobble.
The following users liked this post:
yukinon (12-16-22)
Old 12-14-22, 03:25 PM
fondu
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40

Make sure all the ignition coils are functioning. Remove the serpentine belt and check the pulleys along with idlers for any run out-wobble.
I had a similar sound happen out of the blue and every mechanic i brought it to said it had to be coming from inside the engine.

Fortunately the sound went away after taking the belt off and running it. A look under the hood while it was running showed that the harmonic balancer was shot, wobbling and causing the belt tensioner to make a horrible knocking noise with the belt on.

Definitely check the belt drive components first.
The following 2 users liked this post by fondu:
Entropic86 (12-14-22), yukinon (12-16-22)
Old 12-14-22, 07:55 PM
Entropic86
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What Fondu said. If you're lucky it's something in the serpentine system. Take the air intake off and listen for where it might be coming from. Turn it off and feel for play in the serpentine idler and tensioner pulleys. Let us know what you find.
yukinon (12-16-22)
Old 12-15-22, 06:42 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by fondu
I had a similar sound happen out of the blue and every mechanic i brought it to said it had to be coming from inside the engine.

Fortunately the sound went away after taking the belt off and running it. A look under the hood while it was running showed that the harmonic balancer was shot, wobbling and causing the belt tensioner to make a horrible knocking noise with the belt on.

Sounds like it could be caused by a harmonic balancer wobble. It's always a good idea to check the HB anyway cuz the rubber gets hard and deteriorates. I've seen a few threads here with failed HBs and it aint too pretty when they split and cause some major damage. I changed mine a couple months ago cuz of cracks and splits in the dry rotted rubber which got rid of a little bit of shake.
yukinon (12-16-22)
Old 12-16-22, 07:35 AM
yukinon
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Sounds like it could be caused by a harmonic balancer wobble. It's always a good idea to check the HB anyway cuz the rubber gets hard and deteriorates. I've seen a few threads here with failed HBs and it aint too pretty when they split and cause some major damage. I changed mine a couple months ago cuz of cracks and splits in the dry rotted rubber which got rid of a little bit of shake.
i’m definitely gonna check that when i get time this week! i’m assuming i should check if it’s loose by wiggling it?
did you order an oem specific HB or will any manufacturer be fine? was it fairly easy to replace? i definitely don’t mind doing things on my own but it’s pretty cold and it did snow recently so it’s gonna suck lol.
Old 12-16-22, 07:38 AM
yukinon
Rookie

Originally Posted by fondu

Originally Posted by RA40

i didn’t check any codes when my car went to crap, i just parked it at a walmart parking lot and shut it off. i shoudlve checked the codes at the time but i didn’t, i was too paranoid i think, i’ve had bad luck my cars haha. i’m definitely gonna check out the belts and pulleys this weekend and see how it is.
Old 12-16-22, 09:32 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by yukinon
i’m definitely gonna check that when i get time this week! i’m assuming i should check if it’s loose by wiggling it?
did you order an oem specific HB or will any manufacturer be fine? was it fairly easy to replace? i definitely don’t mind doing things on my own but it’s pretty cold and it did snow recently so it’s gonna suck lol.
Wiggling it will show you if it's definitely bad. But if the rubber on the HB is starting to crack it might not wiggle but it will vibrate the engine when running. I only noticed mine was cracked cuz I was looking at some pics from my T-belt job.
I didn't go with OEM when I changed mine (financial and other reasons) I went with Dayco.
It only took me about an hour of working time. I did mine from the top cuz I didn't want to crawl underneath. I only needed to take off serpentine belt, fan with clutch, and then the HB. (missing fan shroud) From the bottom, after removing serpentine belt there's only the engine undercover and you can get to the HB.
I used this tool to hold the crank while loosening the bolt. (22mm)
https://www.amazon.com/Yoursme-Crankshaft-Harmonic-Balancer-Holding/dp/B07QPNNC55/ref=sr_1_1?crid=323665Y39J0IR&keywords=Yoursme+for+Lexus+and+Toyota+Harmonic+Damper+Pulley+Holder&qid=1647524766&sprefix=yoursme+for+lexus+and+toyota+harmonic+damper+pulley+holder%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.com/Yoursme-Crankshaft-Harmonic-Balancer-Holding/dp/B07QPNNC55/ref=sr_1_1?crid=323665Y39J0IR&keywords=Yoursme+for+Lexus+and+Toyota+Harmonic+Damper+Pulley+Holder&qid=1647524766&sprefix=yoursme+for+lexus+and+toyota+harmonic+damper+pulley+holder%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1
But with this ya need two 1/2" breaker bars. The 22mm bolt is torqued at 181 ft. lbs. Might also need a HB puller which could be rented from any of the chain stores.