LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

looking for a manual transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 09:14 PM
LSDRIFT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a manual transmission.

I am interested in knowing if there is a manual tranny swap that I can do to my LS. I picked up a second one recently and was toying with the idea of turning my bippu style one into a drift car but i think i will do it to this one if it is possible. what would have to be done to the ECU to make it work yadda yadda yadda. also if there is a link to all of this already then that would be awesome.
Old 03-12-08, 09:34 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very little would need to be done to the ECU to get it to work. Most of the work would involve getting the transmission to mount up, getting the pedals to fit, and a custom driveshaft as well. It would be a very custom, very expensive project.
Old 03-12-08, 10:32 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't read or heard much of a T-5 or T-6 swap into an LS,.. for obvious reasons. Though it can be done, anything can with the right amount of resourcefulness, motivation and money.

If you do decide to get this done,.. post some progress pictures and end result. It would truly be a unique LS. I'd pay good money to test drive a manual LS 400 of 1st or 2nd Gen
Old 03-12-08, 10:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

everything would be custom, nobody makes or ever made a bolt on manual trans for the 1/2/3uz motors.

please search.
Old 03-13-08, 01:44 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

I've heard that some people who do 1UZ swaps into MKIII Supras get a custom adapter plate that some company makes and then you can hook up a R154[MKIII Supra Turbo tranny].
I don't know the details, but maybe you can search on some Supra forums.
Old 03-13-08, 01:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

dellow automotive and Castlemaine Rod Shop both out of australia make adapter plate/bellhousings to mate the 1uz to a host of toyota and domestic transmissions.

both of these still require clearancing in most applications and a custom flywheel/clutch/clutchline/pedalbox setup will still need to be made.
Old 03-13-08, 04:34 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

If a 100% one off project is what you want to do, I would say a complete LS1/T56 would be a more cost effective swap.

A. you would get your 6-speed
B. you would get an LS1

There are currently a significant amount of LS1 swaps into weird cars. BMW 3 series, 5 series, Mercedes E class, Volvo wagons, etc.

Come to think of it, an LSx LS400 would be pretty incredible.
Old 03-14-08, 05:39 AM
Dutch
Pole Position

^^^ pretty good idea, reasonable and its been done to alot of different cars.
it will also serve your purpose, unless you want something different b/c everyone does LS1 swaps into all sorts of cars. nonetheless id lke to see it done.
Old 03-14-08, 03:09 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

i have the feeling that the Ls400 wont perform that well as a drift car. its dimensions are just off for the purpose.
Old 03-14-08, 03:46 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rocan
i have the feeling that the Ls400 wont perform that well as a drift car. its dimensions are just off for the purpose.

It will drift though.. definitely.

The back ends break away easily on the LS400's.. Which is conducive for drifting. The LS 400 is a very aerodynamic car (doesn't look that way, but it beats out alot of newer cars in the wind tunnel).

The suspension and weight distribution would be a little odd. Suspension can be dealt with rather easily,.. weight distribution to enough of a degree to make it perform.

I honestly think with some slight suspension modification and the 5 speed the LS 400 would actually drift fairly well.

Prove us right or wrong -- Swap, take pictures.. and drift (video it) =)

We'd all love to see that.

Imagine an LS sleeper, that would actually handle , and was geared with a T-6 and modified to run in the 12's in the quarter. Hah, alot of sports cars would be like Wha??
Old 03-14-08, 08:42 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

the rear end brakes lose so easily because of the massive V8 up front. drifting is about balance and not just getting the rear lose. still though- go for it. get some vids if you get it done!
Old 03-14-08, 10:11 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS Drift for that

There are a few folks slapping V160s and R154s onto 1UZs. Check out these threads:

97 SC400 Getrag V160 6-speed swap thread

The start of some V8 madness
Old 03-14-08, 11:00 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rocan
the rear end brakes lose so easily because of the massive V8 up front. drifting is about balance and not just getting the rear lose. still though- go for it. get some vids if you get it done!
I understand the worry or doubt from alot of you.. But I really think it isn't as big of a problem as you suspect. Everything can be dealt with with aftermarket parts. I think the overall design that will not be changed (engine block and frame) is not a bad drift potential.

The engine has great torque and power,.. Coupled with a 5-6 speed it will turn into a beast .. especially if coupled with performance mods.

The rear brakes (and front) can be modified with some larger discs, slotted/drilled and bigger calipers. Easy fix.

Weight distribution can be handled in a variety of ways -- Air bags.. battery relocation, fuel cells (just ideas.. not that this one needs it).. and on and on.

Suspension is out there for any application.

I think it would be very interesting to see one of the highest end luxury cars (sedan) tear up a drift course. Even better without a body kit on it.
Old 03-15-08, 06:07 PM
LSDRIFT
Driver School Candidate

Well I have been toying with the idea of a 1JZ swap with the R154 tranny. I have always loved chasers and I figure that if I cant own one I would go the next best routethis is my second LS my other is in keeping with lux styling so i picked this one up to see if i could make my slideing sedan dreams happen. i dont know though if i went with the 1JZGTE how much would i have to handle being flamed lol?
Old 03-15-08, 07:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

ehh, 1jz would be too small for these cars, 2 tons is a LOT of weight for a 2.5L motor. at the very least a 2JZ (in turbo form of course) would be needed (not as much for the extra hp as the tq you need to get this heavy ***** to move )

Quick Reply: looking for a manual transmission.