LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Taking the LS in for paint in an hour.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 05:47 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Taking the LS in for paint in an hour.

I have several threads over in the detail forum.. but this area is where the traffic is

LONG story short. Detail shop messed up on getting some paint splatter off my paint. -- Ends up they removed paint, and clearcoat on sections.

*To add , I have a spot on my bumper than has worn down to the primer nearly. --

Here are some shots of the area before detail shop:

Now after the detail shop (At dusk/dark) -- Clear coat hard to make out in this light.

This last shot is just a spot on my upper bumper panel that I was quoted 50$ extra to get sprayed while they were doing the above picture for $250. -- So it is going to be painted today as well.

Well that is it.

Posting this for a 'reference' and to show before and after pictures.. (hopefully the paint job will turn out good, ie: Mix well and so forth).

The shop wants me to have it in around 9am this morning, which is fine. However they said it should be ready to pick up tommorow around noon.

I wonder why they plan on keeping it more than a full business day?

**The shop is painting the area in the pictures that has the paint removed, and on down from front wheel well towards rear on lower panel where clear coat has been compromised. (Small area, but larger than I expected) -- They are also painting the entire upper panel of the bumper for that one spot. They say it will look 'best' match wise to paint the panel instead of just the 'spot' because it is very hard to match 14yr old paint and so forth. -- Lastly they are going to do their 'touchup' paint method with a needle of some sort on the little flakes/touch up areas around the car (They are doing this as a courtesy.. ) **

It is completely fine with me that they are,.. just curious what has to be done *tommorow from opening to 12pm. Maybe just to give them extra time to get to it? Maybe to see how it cures overnight? Not sure.

Nonetheless -- I will post post paint pictures tommorow.

Can you guys offer any advice on post paint care?

Should I hold off on washing the painted area(s) for a day? A week? A month?

Waxxing/sealing going to hurt anything?

Is there anything I can do to help aid the 'curing' or settling of the fresh paint? It is wintertime, so heat isn't easy to come by. My garage is heated/AC'ed -- Would it be worth it to keep either of those on while parked in there. Or just a waste of money?

Thanks for your help here... wish me luck.
Old 03-03-08, 09:05 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont wash it at all for a week. The following week wash it with low power water and soap only. 3rd week would be ok to use a sponge of some kind. Do not wax the paint for a month or month and a half. That was so hard for me to do...i love my deep color after I wash...flawless.

AND it would be best to park your car in the garage. Drive it minimally for the next few days...rocks will eat you alive if you dont.
Old 03-03-08, 09:12 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, harsh. That is going to be hard to do. With the new paint it will look better than ever, but not being able to clean the car, and especially wax those areas is gonna eat at me. Especially for 6 weeks!

By low water power and soap only, you mean garden hose and just a soap bath? IE: Do not scrub at all on the vehicle? Almost impossible to get it clean without some scrubbing..

It will be garage kept, of course.. which is why i asked if modifying the temperature in the garage overnight would help cure the paint to any degree. Say it is a really pretty day this week or weekend sometime, and gets in the 70's with sunshine. Would it be a good idea to park the car outside with painted surfaces facing the direct sun for 'baking' ? Or keep her in the garage?

Low pressure also rules out any high pressure 'touchless' car washed I was thinking of using after it wsa painted.

Hrmm.. I guess I keep a dirty car for a month =/

Thanks for the insight though.
Old 03-03-08, 09:52 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is pretty tough, I wouldn't worry so much about washing the car, as I would worry about waxing it. I didn't wax my car for 60 days after having the whole thing repained..
Old 03-03-08, 10:04 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Well I can keep 3/4ths of the car waxed.. but most likely I will leave it be.

I did a little reading,.. sort of hard to find info.

Anyhow apparently the thinners in the paint have the breath, and evaporate from the new spray over time. Applying wax or a polish (that is silicone based, or seals in anyway) clogs up the new paint. It can't breath, and thus can't flash out. So it doesn't fully cure, and can wreak havoc on itself.. causing at minimum little pin sized holes to develop and at worst crack.

I read several professional recommendations. The shortest time recommended by some was wait a month before waxxing.. or 30 days. The longest 90 days.

As for washing they said use a soap that has no sealers in it.. (IE: I have a carwash compound that is a wax/wash in one..) -- I won't be using that.

Some said use Dawn, etc. I've heard bad things about dawn and dish detergents as they are really harmful and harsh.

Given all of this.. I think I don't wash for a week or so.. then wash by hand, very gently with a soft pad with a good car wash detergent.

I guess I need to know what is a definite 'fresh paint safe' car wash product I should purchase and use?

I don't think I'm going to wait 3 months to wax or seal my car.. but I will wait at least 30 days.

This is why I ask about the sunshine, heat, and so forth. Anyone know if it is wise to put it outside on a sunshiney day to help the paint cure -- or if that is a 'bad' idea. (Is it best to keep it locked up in a garage with no sun on it for a month, etc) ?

If anyone knows much about this process.. Should I be relatively safe waxxing (sealing) my car in a month? Or do I really need to wait 3 months before waxxing the car again?

All information is appreciated, as it is valuable to me.

Thanks Suneet -- (This is just a few touch up spots being sprayed, not the whole car.. but it still applys. I don't want part of the car to be waxxed and others not lol.. but I'll probably still do that.. ) -- Though my latest job was clay bar and wax.. so I think that will hold up at least the minimum 30 days I HAVE to wait before waxxing.. and anything beyond 30 days is just being even more safe.

I ask all of this because I would have to intuitively think the temperature outside, availability of sunshine or lack thereof plays a role in the 'time' for these gasses to evaporate.

For instance, say it reached 80degree's and all sunshine, it would probably immensely help the paint cure leaving it out for 6 hours in that heat/sunshine. (but on the same token, maybe that direct exposure is really bad for fresh paint.. hrmm)

Take care,
Old 03-03-08, 11:11 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

...3rd week would be ok to use a sponge of some kind...

Never, ever use a sponge to wash your car. A sponge can hold dirt and grit and could scratch your car.

Click this link. You will find more information than you will ever need.

http://autopia.org/
Old 03-03-08, 11:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

my car is currently a testament to this

the main thing if u must use a sponge is to use a NEW sponge :doh
Old 03-03-08, 12:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the link -- I've signed up and am reading.

I don't actually use a sponge, traditionally. I've never liked them..

I use one of those "Mitt's" -- It is a mequiers Mitt. one side has a soft side, and you can wear it the other way and it is like rubber prongs. "I use the soft side the whole time.." .. The car never gets dirty enough to have to 'scrub' with force. IE: I'm not taking it off roading =)
Old 03-03-08, 01:30 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

I use cheap microfiber towels from Target so I can throw them away-- they are never quite the same when you try to wash them.

The first thing I did when I picked my car up from being repainted was wash it-- it's the best way to get a close look at it and see how well the job was done. I really don't think you need to worry about washing it-- if anything happens while you do, then the body shop did something wrong.

I would however wait to get it waxed. And when you do your first wax, don't use a rotary or even orbital buffer-- wax by hand.
Old 03-03-08, 02:00 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I tend to agree that if a simple wash masterfully upsets the paint then something was not done properly by the shop. A new paint job is designed to be able to take on the elements to 'some' degree. IE: A heavy thunderstorm/rain --

Nonethless I will probably just QD the newly painted areas, and when I wash the car just blot dry the newly painted areas. Waxing well away from the new paint.
Old 03-04-08, 04:58 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Going to pick up my car in , well a little over an hour -- Meeting him at 9am again as he said he had to go north this morning. On the phone yesterday afternoon he said it was finished, and I asked if it turned out ok,, he said oh yeah.. (Think alabama good 'ol boy)

It stormed last night, and is still raining as I speak.. I hope it stops and drys up a bit on the roads so I won't get splatter all the way back on the newly painted area.

I am sure I will need to clean it once back at location.. from road debris/rain/oils.. I guess Quick detailer and a terry will be safe?
Old 03-04-08, 06:59 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Don't use QD... just use water. QD has some wax in it and may interfere with the clear coat.
Old 03-04-08, 09:56 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Got the car back, and it couldn't have been a worse day to drive it -- Cold and rainy.. storms last night. So,.. considering I can't wash the car or wax it.. the shots are wet, with dirt, and some water lines/spots running through them.

Anyhow, I think they did a great job. Keep in mind it is a touch up on the bumper, and I think they sanded some of the wheel well area down a little before spraying.

Had bumper panel sprayed, and the damaged area of course. Here are the aftershots (will wax them in, oh, 30-90days for shine)

Wheel well area:

Bumper panel resprayed:

Color match is perfect,.. not an easy task with 14 yr old paint.

The body shop owner said to give it a few days and then it would be fine to do what I want with it. He said paints have come a long way and he uses the latest equipment and chemicals in his shop.

So I'll wait a week to wash, and a month to wax. More than he suggests, and less than the extreme do.

Right now I have it in the garage with the heat on to help cure. If the sun comes out and things dry up I'll move her.

Take care,
Old 03-04-08, 10:13 AM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

results came out well, post some more pic. once it's all washed and waxed.
Old 03-04-08, 10:55 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks LRP -- Will post more pictures of course in a month or so when waxxed again. Although it doesn't look terrible, .. the wax is fairly fresh on most of the car, its just a bit dirty from the rain today I had to drive in.

Getting the windows tinted today a bit later (Trying to get everything I can in on a free day.. well calling it a free day since I've wasted this much of the day ) -- I think the tint will really give this car a better look. Going with 35% around (darkest legal in my state).

Decided to go with a shop with a machine that specs out the tint by car model. (Machine apparently cuts it to a thousandth of something , and they do no cutting inside the car themselves, lifetime warranty and so on. Sounds like a good place to me )

Be well,

Quick Reply: Taking the LS in for paint in an hour.