LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

From my Sea foam, or running rich?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 03:56 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default From my Sea foam, or running rich?

Noticed something new today. Started the car and white smoke came out.. I got out and took a look, same white smoke as when I did my sea-foam treatment about a week ago. Of course not as thick. But on the start up it was thicker then it thinned out quickly. But at a putter of an idle it is a steady white stream. Sort of like a light steam when it is cold outside from your exhaust.

So I went down and smelled it (yeah real healthy right?) -- Anyways, it doesn't have an odor that smells like regular 'gas'. Doesn't smell like oil, etc. It actually smells like the Sea-Foam.

Now when I did the sea-foam last week, this is how I did it, exactly.

First I measured the bottle into thirds.

Then I put a third through the brake booster, and cut it off, let it sit for 15minutes.. started it up,.. revved and drove it hard. It finally stopped smoking completely.

I then put a third into my crankcase (oil). The last third I then put into the gas tank.

I went and drove about 50-60miles, and then changed my oil and filter. Didn't want to keep that stuff in the crank case very long.

It hasn't been smoking since that I've noticed. Nor did it smoke before.

Engine runs strong, smooth idle, etc.

No leaks.

I have done some work on the car,.. new Air filter (the old one was 99% clogged..looked factory. no kidding). New drivebelt. Top off fluids,.. and just miscellaneous maintenance so far.. nothing major.

With this work, I've probably had the ECU reset half a dozen times in the last week. So it hasn't had a chance to 'learn' again, not sure if that makes much of a difference. Or if the new air filter giving it so much air would change things, as it was used to a clogged one. Hrmm.

My gas tank is under a quarter tank, so I'm almost thinking the Sea-Foam is causing this smoke as it gets low... but could that happen ?

Smoke is white, and smells like ether/sea foam .

If my O2 sensors were bad wouldn't it throw a code, and if my air fuel ratio was off wouldn't it throw a code?
Old 02-25-08, 04:09 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my car is runnin lean and gonna inspect/replace my o2 sensors verrry soon. but my car has some white smoke that comes out in the morning because it is like 30 something degrees outside...normal for me.
Old 02-25-08, 04:22 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Heh, I'm not talking about condensation, or steam or whatever it is technically called when moist hot air turns into a mini cloud (ie: breathing in the cold). It was a good 60 degree's today. How can you tell your car is running lean btw?

And it is often 30 something degree's in the morning here too this time of the year. Though it warmed up a bit today.

Just wondering what opinions are.. I know white smoke is not a 'bad' color if you're going to have some smoke. Though I know it isn't anything major, because nothing has changed at all. I'm thinking this will either stop with another tank of gas or so.. or I might be running rich and maybe a plug is fouling out.. or something is out of wack with the mixture. I guess I need to keep an eye on Fuel economy.

I bet the o2 sensors are stock/factory, and aren't they all likely to be bad after 10-12yrs? Or no? And is the First gen computer too stupid to recognize a bad o2 sensor?
Old 02-25-08, 05:06 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White smoke could be coolant/water and I think the only way that could happen is if you have a blown head gasket.
Old 02-25-08, 05:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1uz rarely if ever blows headgaskets....

its most likely some leftover seafoam.
Old 02-25-08, 05:55 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your car is running rich, and it's smoking, it's going to be black smoke. Give it a few days and see if the smoke gradually disappears. I wouldn't think there would be any Seafoam left to burn off but time will tell.
Old 02-25-08, 08:44 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sea foam at start up disappears after 3 starts . I would say it is just your cats working much better so you see the moisture cloud. Other than that i get an occasional puff on start up caused by my power steering system letting fluid into the intake.
Old 02-25-08, 08:51 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

^ How does the ATF get into the intake??
Old 02-26-08, 03:00 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I know its not a blown headgasket -- That is very rare for these cars, and this smoke started after sitting overnight.. No running hot, not driving a long way, etc.

Since the sea foam I've driven 200miles or so. So it should be out of the system, but since it was in the gas tank, then I can see it burning more off. So if rich it is a black smoke eh? Hrm..

This is completely white, as white as white can be. Coolant level is steady in reservoir. So nothing is leaking into oil. Temp gauge is steady as a rock.

In fact it heats up to a certain 'notch' on the temp gauge even at idle, and if I get on it HARD it remains at that level. It is as if the computer wants the engine at X temperature and it holds their under no stress or complete stress.

I guess it could be Power steering fluid leaking in.. but it would have to be quiet alot for it to continue to smoke steadily and not be just a startup thing. Plus the PS fluid reservoir is full

Makes little sense to me -- And it smells like ether.. I swear. It doesn't smell like a rotten stinky cat conversion, it smells like rocket fuel.. Isn't that unpleasant (probably just me).

Though no one likes smoke coming out of the exhaust... so hopefully it just goes away on its own. I didn't drive the car today.

The possibility of a leaking head gasket is what worries me.. but that is so unlikely with this engine and aluminum heads. Plus it was taken apart 30k ago and all seals replaced. I would assume head gasket as well.. shrug.

The car has never run hot according to previous owner, and certainly hasn't for me.

Has this happened to anyone? Post sea-foam.. the smoke stops after 10-15 mins.. Then a few days later or a week, you get some more white smoke (obviously from the gas treatment) ?
Old 02-26-08, 03:03 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DIY LS400
^ How does the ATF get into the intake??
Lexus Power Steering fluid is ATF fluid (Mercon/Dextron II/III) --

Given that, the valve can leak into the manifold and this causes a brief white smoke from the small leak. ATF burning.

Make sense now?
Old 02-26-08, 03:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Most likely it's the seafoam that you put in your gas tank. It has the same effect (less dramatic) as when you put seafoam through the brake booster. I put lucas fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank and it smoked for awhile, mostly when I turned on my engine in the morning.

I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 02-26-08, 03:30 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man.. just wanted some confirmation.
Old 02-26-08, 08:34 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neofate
Lexus Power Steering fluid is ATF fluid (Mercon/Dextron II/III) --

Given that, the valve can leak into the manifold and this causes a brief white smoke from the small leak. ATF burning.

Make sense now?
Yea I know that I'm the one that mentioned ATF in the first place.

What valve are you talking about?
Old 02-26-08, 09:18 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I missed the part of adding it to your tank , My car also will have a small amount of white when i have it in the tank until i refill it.
Old 02-26-08, 09:24 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DIY LS400
Yea I know that I'm the one that mentioned ATF in the first place.

What valve are you talking about?
You knew that? And mentioned that the PS uses ATF and that leaks into the engine? I didn't see it, and still don't. But anyway, this is common knowledge.

It is the ICV -- (Idle Control Valve).. referred to as Air Control Valve among other 'nick names'.

It is connected to the PS Pump, and has lines running directly to the intake. Hence, again, when this valve malfunctions/leaks it can and will seep ATF fluid (*from the Power Steering pump*) into the Intake Manifold. This collects and is burned as white smoke.

If you are further curious, this is a $100 part.. sometimes more from stealership. Although you can plug it essentially with a cheap bolt and the ICV's function ceases, obviously, to exist.

The function of the ICV is to power up or down the Power steering effect depending on speed/RPM of engine. High speed = more feel (less aid).. low speed/idle = (more aid).

Plugging this for $2 essentially saves you money because the effect is hardly noticeable, and not noticeable at all by some.

I would try, myself, to replace the valve with the cheapest one I could find just for the sake of having it.. but depending on funds might go the other route temporarily.

Again, my problem is nothing I'm fairly sure. I'm certain it isn't a head gasket leak. After my sea-foam I noticed alot (in comparison to none) of water dripping out of the Exhaust tips.. This was the cats doing their job very efficiently. I suspect it could be part of this process.

Though I have a strange suspicion it is a concentration of Sea-foam in the gastank due to it being below a quarter tank. I believe filling the tank up would eliminate this fairly quickly, but if I am right -- I want to let it continue until the 'gas light' comes on. Because if it is simply a carbon burn then let it continue to clean

Quick Reply: From my Sea foam, or running rich?