LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Seatbelt Retractors

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 07:40 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seatbelt Retractors

Hello, i searched and found a few threads on the subject but all seem to have died with no answers.

On Ebay theres "OEM replacement" seat belts for about 80 dollars a pair for the front to replace the lazy ones we all have, i was wondering if anyone has any experience with them and knows if there of quality and match the interior color.
Old 02-11-08, 06:07 AM
kwikrnu
Driver School Candidate

I found a couple for my 1990 on ebay. They were used factory though. I took my old one apart and tried to wind the spring tighter , but could not figure out how to do it. I did notice that with some modification you could take the one from the right side and put it on the left.
Old 02-11-08, 02:26 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Both of mine are messed up and slow. i guess no one has tried these?
Old 02-11-08, 02:56 PM
kwikrnu
Driver School Candidate

I'd almost guarantee they will not match the factory color. You just have to decide if the color difference is worth it.
Old 02-11-08, 03:28 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Call the Lexus Corp. and have them fix it for free.
Old 02-11-08, 07:19 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

its a 94 with 13k, think it'll happen? if i could get it factory by all means i will just dont want to spend 400+ dollars on seat belts when i still need to fix my climate control LCD and power steering leak.

I understand there important for safety but money is still tight regardless of how important they are.

Ill try calling lexus up tomorrow, anything special i should say to persuade them? and lexus themselves, not the dealership right?
Old 02-11-08, 07:59 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually Lexus Corp will ask you to go to a dealership to check it out and get a quote (about $700-1K). Lexus corp might help if this repair is prohibitively expensive for you. Just reason with them.
Old 02-12-08, 02:47 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Alright thanks man, ill take a ride to the stealership first so i can document the price quote and have everything ready.
Old 02-12-08, 02:49 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck - if they repair/replace for free please post as I tried and was told no.
Old 02-12-08, 06:29 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

ill let you guys know what happens. might take a little bit as i have a busy schedule but i will follow up on progress.
Old 02-24-08, 07:52 AM
nosechunks
Rookie

Went to lexus, seat belts are $250.25 each side and only available in black, plus 2 hours labor at 120 an hour.

$740.50

Im going to give lexus corp a call this coming week, if there no help i will most likely order the ones off ebay.
Old 02-24-08, 12:46 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything dealing with airbags or seatbelts (saftey items) -- Especially seatbelts being they are required by US law.. should be covered under LIFETIME warranty. Lexus wouldn't lose out that much on it.

Mine are to some degree the same way.. Though I believe functionally they are ok. If you let them slack out though when putting them on, I bet they wouldn't work initially.... (catch you are the slack point). -- That, my friend, is a HUGE winnable law suit for tens of millions of dollars waiting to happen.

Somewhat silly they aren't issueing recalls when it comes to seatbelts. But I guess they've gotten lucky enough this long..
Old 02-24-08, 12:49 PM
Sixdown
Driver

What was the Lexus corp support number I saw a few months back? I can't seem to find it when searching...I need both my retractors replaced too...and they won't even lock when I jerk them forward.
Old 02-24-08, 02:19 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

NEO: the key work is "should" be covered under lifetime warranty. A seatbelt that is too slack to operate is the same as brakes too worn out to stop the car resulting in an accident.

I can see an argument for either direction, im going to see what i can do.

Not to mention they said there only available in black so unless then can special make brown ones for my car i might have to go after market.

Cust support im guessing could be reached here: Phone: 1-800-255-3987

Number found at this address http://www.lexus.com/contact/
Old 02-24-08, 04:35 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

True -- I know what is RIGHT, and what is reality.

Though I don't put tires/brakes etc in the same category as seatbelts. Those items are general wear and tear .. no one is going to back them up (aside from tires for life at some dealerships).

The seatbelts should function for the life of the car.. it is a simple design, and housed inside the vehicle. It isn't a wear and tear part on the majority of other vehicles, which I why I make my argument.

Though you are right to be skeptical at best,.. at the same time it is still worth looking into.

If you have any luck I will follow your lead. Mine needs them to.

Quick Reply: Seatbelt Retractors