LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Owner Loggin In - 1995 LS400 - 152K

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 08:18 PM
Sirius2ten
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Loggin In - 1995 LS400 - 152K

Hi All,

Great forum! Looking forward to participating.

My lease ends on my 04' Acura TL next week and I'll be turning it back in with 14k. Lets say I don't drive far to work and use the wifes rig on the weekends

Have always wanted the LS400. Bought a 1995 mint with 152k for 4K. I think it was a good price. Car has one tiny ding and a few small scratches and interior is A+. Radio backlight is out, but that's it. Just registered and on the road. Took for a 100 mile trip and was like magic.

My Sirius tuner fit perfect where the Ashtry Is. I Fished the antenna so you don't see it and used the $3.49 Cassete with audio input instead of Modulating FM Frequency. Sounds awesome.

Couple questions. Thoughts appreciated.
1. The timing belt was changed at 70k. Car has 152k. When will it need to be done again? I'll put max 5k on this car per year.

2. Went out to start tonight. (one turn and vroom) I did notice some smoke coming from the exausts. It's cold here in PA. So probably normal, but anything I should be looking for. Car was in my garage for 5 days and not a drop of anything anywhere.

3. Idle seems high when I start . About 1.5 and stays for a while. Is that common?

4. Shocks - Car rides awesome, but probably could use some shocks. But I'm only driving local so how long can factory shocks go for? Is it a problem if they aren't changed.

5. Lastly. If you just bought a car what preventative maintenance would you recommend? Immediate Oil Change, Filters, etc.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

------------------
Sirius2Ten
Old 02-04-08, 09:38 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new LS!!!!! Got any pictures of your Sirius set-up??

When you start the car the RPMs will stay up when it's warming. What are the RPMs when the car is warm with no load?? ( in "N")

I'd reccomend servicing the tranny and differential.
Old 02-05-08, 12:36 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Change / flush the Power Steering fluid.
Old 02-05-08, 05:59 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Congrats on the car. With the minimal miles you're putting on, that car should last you forever. Not a bad price either.

Where are you at in PA?

Originally Posted by Sirius2ten
Hi All,

My lease ends on my 04' Acura TL next week and I'll be turning it back in with 14k. Lets say I don't drive far to work and use the wifes rig on the weekends

Have always wanted the LS400. Bought a 1995 mint with 152k for 4K. I think it was a good price. Car has one tiny ding and a few small scratches and interior is A+. Radio backlight is out, but that's it. Just registered and on the road. Took for a 100 mile trip and was like magic.

My Sirius tuner fit perfect where the Ashtry Is. I Fished the antenna so you don't see it and used the $3.49 Cassete with audio input instead of Modulating FM Frequency. Sounds awesome.

1. The timing belt was changed at 70k. Car has 152k. When will it need to be done again? I'll put max 5k on this car per year.

2. Went out to start tonight. (one turn and vroom) I did notice some smoke coming from the exausts. It's cold here in PA. So probably normal, but anything I should be looking for. Car was in my garage for 5 days and not a drop of anything anywhere.

3. Idle seems high when I start . About 1.5 and stays for a while. Is that common?

4. Shocks - Car rides awesome, but probably could use some shocks. But I'm only driving local so how long can factory shocks go for? Is it a problem if they aren't changed.

5. Lastly. If you just bought a car what preventative maintenance would you recommend? Immediate Oil Change, Filters, etc.

------------------
Sirius2Ten
Old 02-05-08, 07:45 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL - there are many good resources here whether you decide to mod the car or not.
Old 02-05-08, 09:42 AM
BipCelsior
Rookie

Welcome to CL congrat on ur new ride.
Old 02-05-08, 10:22 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

welcome!

unless you know for sure when the oil was changed last, i'd do that right away as well as the other fluids...

not sure about changing the timing belt for the 2nd time...it should be in your manual.

as far as the shocks go, if your ride is good and they're not making any noise, i'd leave them alone.

where in PA are you?
Old 02-05-08, 01:31 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirius2ten
Hi All,

Usually they call for it around every 85,000 to 90,000 miles. The engine is classified as an interference motor so changing it is important. Many here have greatly exceeded that interval and said the belt was not worn at all when taken out. Since intereference means the valves will hit the pistons I would change it rather than chance it.

Mine does the same thing although it is not smoke but rather the condensation burning out of the exhaust system.

This is exactly what mine does for a few minutes and then it settles down to 200-400 RPM.

My OEM shocks lasted over 150K and were still good according to my mechanic. You can always do the bounce test aye? Normally worn struts will cause poor ride quality and irregular tire wear.

I would always change the oil and filter and at least check the coolant (should be red) and ATF fuid (should be pink). It is kind of a right of passage with any new car

------------------
Sirius2Ten

Usually they call for it around every 90,000 miles. The engine is classified as an interference motor so changing it is important. Many have gone up to 130,000 miles or more between changes and said the belt was not worn at all when taken out. Since intereference means the valves will hit the piston(s) I would change it rather than chance it.

2. Went out to start tonight. (one turn and vroom) I did notice some smoke coming from the exausts. It's cold here in PA. So probably normal, but anything I should be looking for. Car was in my garage for 5 days and not a drop of anything anywhere. Mine does the same thing althoyugh it is not smoke but raher the condensation burning off.

3. Idle seems high when I start . About 1.5 and stays for a while. Is that common? This is exactly what mine does for a few minutes and then it settles down to 200-400 RPM.

4. Shocks - Car rides awesome, but probably could use some shocks. But I'm only driving local so how long can factory shocks go for? Is it a problem if they aren't changed. My OEM shocks lasted over 150K and were still good according to my mechanic. You can always do the bounce test aye?

5. Lastly. If you just bought a car what preventative maintenance would you recommend? Immediate Oil Change, Filters, etc. I would always change the oil and filter and at least check the coolant (should be red) and ATF fuid (should be pink). It is kind of a right of passage with any new car
Old 02-05-08, 04:56 PM
Sirius2ten
Driver School Candidate

Default Awesome Forum

Thanks for the info everyone. It was very helpful.

I'll get my oil, filters and other fluids (Trans, Dif, etc.) changed ASAP. Worth the bucks to be safe.

I'm located in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown area) If anyone knows of a local mechanic they like please forward the info. Sad to say for the past 10 years I've only owned brand new cars every few years. My last used car was a 1982 Mazda 626 with 289,000. Loved that car.

I'll hold off on the suspension and timing belt for at least the next 5k. Although I'll definitely take a look at it condition of the timing belt.

I'm probalby not going to do anything major to the car, but my father does have a bodyshop in VT so you never know.

Looking forward to getting the car on the road and driving a long while.

See everyone around.

Old 02-05-08, 07:52 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Was the 1995 really an interference engine? I thought the 1998 with VVT-i introduced the interference engine.

I just got my LS400 too, and changed the oil, transmission fluid, differential fluid, and power steering fluid all at once. Check out the condition of your power steering system. It should be better than my 1st gen LS400.
Old 02-05-08, 08:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

95-00 is interference. there was a head design change on the 1UZ used in the LS that upped the compression a bit and etc. that pulled an extra 10hp out of the motor while making it an interference motor.
Old 02-06-08, 08:25 AM
REELhybrid
Rookie

Default good price

That's a pretty good price. I got mine for $5k with 165k miles. However I had to swap out all the seats and console because they were torn up.

If you have the funds I would do everything one time like the timing, p/s, and tranny/diff fluid. That way all you have to worry about for a while is oil changes.
Old 02-06-08, 06:11 PM
Sirius2ten
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know of a good mechanic around the Allentown Area. I'd like to get these items done so I won't have to worry, but hate bring to a garage I don't know. Not throwing sirius cash as lexus dealer.

thx,
Old 02-06-08, 06:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would inspect the timing belt, and if it looks good, don't worry about it - Lexus belts are easily good for 100k miles.
Old 02-06-08, 06:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Timing belt also depends on the age too, not just mileage. If the car accumulated most of its mileage within the past 4 years or so, I say you're good to go. Belts are recommended to be serviced every 90k or 6 years.