LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

***Gen 1.5 Revamping Result***

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 09:16 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ***Gen 1.5 Revamping Result***

So some of you might know that I have been picking up piece by piece of my new suspension and other parts for my Gen1.5. The following is what I got and installed yesterday...

KYB GR-2 Shocks
Eibach Sportline Springs (1" drop)
KYB Front Strut Mounts
OEM Tranny Mount
Daizen Sway Bar Bushing F&R
OEM Fuel Filter

I just had the car aligned. OMG what a difference the suspension made!!! My car no longer nose dives when I hit the brake. I can take turns now with almost none body roll. It corners beautifully with precision. My steering get tighter and more responsive. And the car is still very comfortable even on crappy NY roads. I just want to share this with fellow members who probably experience the same thrill one time or another.

With all the good things, there is one minor negative I noticed. when I hit a bump/pothole on the road during low speed, I hear a clunking sound from the front suspension, especially the front left one. it sounds like metal hiting metal. what could that be? it doesnt happen all the time, never on the highway, only once awhile around town. I hope it's not something loose or the mechanic installed the spring wrong or something.

BTW, this might sound like a dumb question, but when I received the springs, I couldnt time which is for the front and which is for the back. I couldnt even tell when end is top or bottom!!! I questioned the mechanic, he told me that the front is a bit shorter and stiffer. Is that correct? Because my rear end is just a tad higher than the front, about 1" more on the fender to wheel gap.

anyways, if anyone has tips on the clunking sound, that would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-08, 09:42 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

With all the good things, there is one minor negative I noticed. when I hit a bump/pothole on the road during low speed, I hear a clunking sound from the front suspension, especially the front left one. it sounds like metal hiting metal. what could that be? it doesnt happen all the time, never on the highway, only once awhile around town. I hope it's not something loose or the mechanic installed the spring wrong or something.
I just had brand new KYBs put on my 99 LS, getting the same clunk. I had it some before, but now its all the time on dips and bumps. Look into the front bushings or possibly even ball joints.
Old 01-31-08, 10:43 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds awesome!!! Got any pics of the end result??

Sorry to hear about the problem, you should have the mech take a quick look at all his work again.
Old 01-31-08, 10:52 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcrome04
That sounds awesome!!! Got any pics of the end result??

Sorry to hear about the problem, you should have the mech take a quick look at all his work again.

yeah, but I just got an expensive alignment done. I don't want the mechanic to take it all apart and I will have to do it again. I've been reading around in the forum and it seems that alot of people have the clunking noise either in the back or front. I also work far away from the mechanic and I had to take yesterday off to bring the car and get the work done. Oh well, I haven't paid the guy yet...LOL!

I might try to get some vinyl tubing like PD did and wrap it around the top coils. It does sound like the spring coil is banging into each other. I am planning to jack the car up on Sat and take a look at the shock/springs and see if the mechanic left anything out.
Old 01-31-08, 11:26 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that doesn't work check that the metal brake dust shield (metal shield behind front rotor) is not coming into contact with the vertical steering knuckle (connects to upper CA). Mine was and every now and then I heard this crazy metal on metal clanging as it hit the steering knuckle. The local mechanic said it was my end links on the front sway bar. I jacked the car up and noticed the metal shield was hitting the steering knuckle. I forced it away and never heard it again
Old 01-31-08, 11:29 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by steveski
If that doesn't work check that the metal brake dust shield (metal shield behind front rotor) is not coming into contact with the vertical steering knuckle (connects to upper CA). Mine was and every now and then I heard this crazy metal on metal clanging as it hit the steering knuckle. The local mechanic said it was my end links on the front sway bar. I jacked the car up and noticed the metal shield was hitting the steering knuckle. I forced it away and never heard it again
awesome tip! thanks. Will definately look into that when I jack the car up this Saturday.
Old 01-31-08, 11:29 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It could also be that your spring isn't sitting perfectly on the strut's spring perche so sometimes it snaps into place. That happens with my strut/spring combo.
Old 01-31-08, 11:32 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Suneet
It could also be that your spring isn't sitting perfectly on the strut's spring perche so sometimes it snaps into place. That happens with my strut/spring combo.
oh boy...will it ever stop? like snap into place or I will have to do something?
Old 01-31-08, 11:41 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmm mine hasn't snapped back into place permanently, but it only makes that noise like, once a week, so I don't really care. It only happes when I come out of a hard corner at slow enough speed that I can hear it.. and sometimes if I go over a large speed bump.

When you jack the car up, do it from the front, and you'll see if this is the problem as it will snap into place as you jack up the chassis.
Old 01-31-08, 12:02 PM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Suneet
Mmm mine hasn't snapped back into place permanently, but it only makes that noise like, once a week, so I don't really care. It only happes when I come out of a hard corner at slow enough speed that I can hear it.. and sometimes if I go over a large speed bump.

When you jack the car up, do it from the front, and you'll see if this is the problem as it will snap into place as you jack up the chassis.
Yeah, mine only does it on a pothole or an abrute drop on the road surface as if the noise is made when the spring is decompressing and then recompressed. during regular driving it's all quite.

I'm going to listen to it for a bit longer and hopefully fix it on Saturday.
Old 01-31-08, 02:51 PM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

Lets see some pictures.
Old 01-31-08, 02:54 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes pleeeeeeease pics!!! I'm going to wet my pants waiting! haha
Old 01-31-08, 03:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

put 3/4in ID vinyl tubing on the top 2 coils all around, it helps a LOT
Old 01-31-08, 04:32 PM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by LRP_LS400
Lets see some pictures.
coming coming...

this saturday will be in the mid 40's. I am planning to wash the car and clean the inside. and I will take some nice pics of everything including my HIDs.
Old 01-31-08, 04:33 PM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
put 3/4in ID vinyl tubing on the top 2 coils all around, it helps a LOT
awesome...thanks PD...will pickup some from Home Depot promto!