LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How Much Attention Does Your Ls Get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 09:21 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How Much Attention Does Your Ls Get?

Saw this over in the GS section and thought it might be a fun thread for here also.

Question is,, How much attention does your LS get you? What are the girls reactions to it, friends, etc? I will start.

Having a first gen, slightly modded, I get all kinds of looks. Alot of them are the WTF looks from other people trying to figure out what my car is at a light. Others and thumbs up and nice car compliments while I am out and about. I do get my fair share of hate looks from other LS owners whose car is not quite in the condition that mine is. I think the one compliment, which really took me off guard, was from an elderly gentleman who approached me one day while I was going into a drug store. I had just parked my car, and had run into some friends leaving in the parking lot. We were standing close to my car talking and then they left. I pulled something out of the truck and decided to go into the store. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice another car pull up behind mine and an elderly woman get out. No biggie, I thought, as I was in front of the store. The odd thing is the car did not pull off, just kinda hung there after she went into the store. The old guy rolled down his window and got my attention. He was like,,
"Excuse me young man,, but maaannnn I gotta tell you I was looking at your car when I pulled into the parking lot. Shoot,, you did that Son of a b**** up good. The rims you have really fit the car well and it doesnt look out of place or stupid at all. So many of these young punks, now days, get a car,, put some dumb *** rims on it and it just looks like AZZ. I have a 94 myself and I can see it looks like you lowered it, tints, rims, and some other little touches. I just wanted to compliment you on yours b/c I wished mine looked that well. Have a nice one young man!!"

It took all I had to not laugh b/c I was truly in shock. The gentleman had to be pushing close to 80 and was complimenting me on my ride. I thanked him, and he went on to find a parking space to wait for his wife. It felt good, having received an appreciation from the older crowd, but it sure was unexpected. LOL!!!

Last edited by trukn1; 01-27-08 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 09:23 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 99 is stock and white so it pretty much gets no attention at all
Old 01-27-08, 09:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Saw this over in the GS section and thought it might be a fun thread for here also.

Question is,, How much attention does your LS get you? What are the girls reactions to it, friends, etc? I will start.

Having a first gen, slightly modded, I get all kinds of looks. Alot of them are the WTF looks from other people trying to figure out what my car is at a light. Others and thumbs up and nice car compliments while I am out and about. I do get my fair share of hate looks from other LS owners whose car is not quite in the condition that mine is. I think the one compliment, which really took me off guard, was from an elderly gentleman who approached me one day while I was going into a drug store. I had just parked my car, and had run into some friends leaving in the parking lot. We were standing close to my car talking and then they left. I pulled something out of the truck and decided to go into the store. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice another car pull up behind mine and an elderly woman get out. No biggie, I thought, as I was in front of the store. The odd thing is the car did not pull off, just kinda hung there after she went into the store. The old guy rolled down his window and got my attention. He was like,,
"Excuse me young man,, but maaannnn I gotta tell you I was looking at your car when I pulled into the parking lot. Shoot,, you did that Son of a b**** up good. The rims you have really fit the car well and it doesnt look out of place or stupid at all. So many of these young punks, now days, get a car,, put some dumb *** rims on it and it just looks like AZZ. I have a 94 myself and I can see it looks like you lowered it, tints, rims, and some other little touches. I just wanted to compliment you on yours b/c I wished mine looked that well. Have a nice one young man!!"

It took all I had to not laugh b/c I was truly in shock. The gentleman had to be pushing close to 80 and was complimenting me on my ride. I thanked him, and he went on to find a parking space to wait for his wife. It felt good, having received an appreciation from the older crowd, but it sure was unexpected. LOL!!!
random story:
was in the right turn lane a couple weeks ago and this guy bumping music in a newer BMW 3series (rims and thats it) heard me downshift as i approached this really slow right and the light ended up turning red. so as i stop and glance for oncoming traffic i see this guy motioning to me, i look over and the first thing he asks me is "Sounds nice" - thanks - "what, you got a 357 in there?" - o.O no? - then the light turned green

that is all, back to midterm studying x.x
Old 01-27-08, 09:36 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get attention from Camry owners.

That's about it.
Old 01-27-08, 09:40 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trukn1
Question is,, How much attention does your LS get you? What are the girls reactions to it, friends, etc?

The gentleman had to be pushing close to 80 and was complimenting me on my ride. It felt good, having received an appreciation from the older crowd, but it sure was unexpected.
Its kinda the same with me man, except the peeps arent quite that old (80). Usually they are in their mid 40's to mid 50's. They turn their heads and stare at my car when I drive by them. I dont get the looks like I used to with my old KA7 Legend that was lowered with nice aftermarket wheels.
Old 01-27-08, 10:05 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a lot of my homegirls like my car. gota always have it full back there ya ;]. sometimes i get stares from people when i get the chance to turn over. but a lot of kids that are in ls400 always like to stare at mine like they never seen one haha. these two couples turns so hard i though they were gona break their neck
Old 01-27-08, 10:30 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Up here people are always staring. I love it! There is NO VIP scene up here or barely anyone into Lexus'. They're all little ricers. So it's nice to have people look like they've never seen one before! Especially in a pearl white coach edition

Plus I own a detail shop so she's always got an awesome shine!!!
Old 01-27-08, 11:31 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The stories i could tell if i were face to face.
funny enough the best were with my ES 300 which has not been driven in 2 years.
The LS gets looks and people walking around it all day long. Kids love the thing pulling on their parents to get get a closer look .

I think i am still my cars biggest fan as i stare at it all day long and can't believe i got a car the way i wanted and it is all mine.

I did have a 70 year old women come up to me once at a Mercedes dealer and compliment me on my car before she left in her brand new SL55 which she just picked up from service. LOL

I even had 2 cops follow me 2 weeks ago and when i finally parked after 10 miles of tailing me . I get out the car and they start asking me about it but i had to go as my pregnant wife had to a massage therapy appointment so i could not engage in a longer conversation . They did start the conversation with do i get pulled over alot , i replied you already ran my plate and id and as you can see i have no tickets and both are clean.
Old 01-27-08, 11:55 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

I get no attention with my stock '98, except from my friends who can't believe I have a car this new; my previous daily driver was a '73 MBZ 300SEL. When I want attention I fire up my '59 Cadillac Fleetwood; another generation's ultimate luxo car.
Old 01-28-08, 12:30 AM
caffeine
Rookie

I don't get attention per say in my 95 Black LS400. But everyone is surpised when I tell them the year of my car. Everyone thinks its a 2000+ model.
Old 01-28-08, 12:45 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pulled up to a guy in a maserati once at the gas station. The guy watched as I pulled up just eyeing the car. I didn't know what he was looking at so I just ignored him. He finished up pumpin his fuel and walked over and started to admire the car and said "I once had one of these a few years ago, but I never had it looking as good as this one. This was the best car Lexus has ever made, I still admire it over the new LS model...You picked a good car, you'll be enjoying it for many years." Of course I had been drooling over his little red Maserati the whole time, but it was nice to see someone who had a far more expensive car had admired mine.

My car gets loads of attention...I think mainly because its a scary looking car with its dark tint and monotone paint. Most of the time at a stoplight I'll catch people trying to look in my windows. Its sorta funny because most of the time they look uneasy sitting next to it and normally either take off pretty fast or let me go first. A Solid black LS windows and all will get people talkin'.
Old 01-28-08, 06:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i pretty much break necks with mine. people have no idea what it first of all, with toyota badges on it, adn being on the ground with my old wide big lip wheels, people couldn't stop staring. theyve never seen a vip car before around here and not one other person in louisville has one.
Old 01-28-08, 08:30 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

Originally Posted by BiGLeX 400
I get attention from Camry owners.

That's about it.
LOL!!! me too. every guy that drives the same era camry checks out my car. One of my friend has a 96 Camry V6 Coupe, he now wants to sell his car and buy mine.
Old 01-28-08, 08:42 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Houston there are few modified LS sedans so I get some good looks as I drive to work each day. I recently shaved my trunk so it does not read Lexus anymore. I especially like the more exclusive sedans like M5's, AMG's and Maserati's that pass by slow - then slow down to lag behind - then speed up slow to pass me to get a second look. I like to think they are wondering what kind of car it is since it is all black, lowered with wide, staggered rims and badgeless trunk

The look I have also attracts the racers too like the GTO's, Firehawks and Mustangs that want to race me
Old 01-28-08, 10:49 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

My parents can't believe how nice it is (I grew up in old 80s VWs and the like). Younger folks don't get it as much, although most girls appreciate it (especially when they see the black leather and wood interior). I have to say when its really dirty, it turns a lot fewer heads, but I just did a post-snow cleanup and she's looking pretty good for a 9 year old car. Seems to be 40+ people that really like it, oh well.

Quick Reply: How Much Attention Does Your Ls Get?