LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Re-did my shifter and steering wheel but...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 09:28 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-did my shifter and steering wheel but...

The color is bit lighter than I expected it to be. yeah, I had my shifter and steering wheel reupholster but the color I picked is bit too light. I misjudged it and now I'm stuck with a lighter steering wheel and shifter. I definitely like the fact that it looks new and that the shifter is not ripped, but the color is killing me. What's the correct leather color of the steering wheel and shifter anyway?
I will post pics of the before and after tomorrow when I get some time.
Also, are there any products out there that can make the leather a bit darker?
inputs please...
Old 01-24-08, 09:51 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my wheel and shifter were worn down and looked really bad, i cleaned them really well, with orange hand cleaner and water. Let dry, and soaked em really well with dark brown shoe polish. Let it sit for a day, and buffed off. Now they look exactly the same color as dash. And brand new.
Old 01-24-08, 09:54 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you comparing the color with? Your seats? Keep in mind that if you haven't given the rest of your interior a GOOD cleaning, and I mean a really thorough job, then your seats will be darker than they should be from grime alone. That could knock your perception off. If your comparing the color with the airbag, there may not be much you can do apart from dying the leather over again, a process I am unfamiliar with.
Old 01-24-08, 09:54 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I just found this web site:
http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/lexuscolrchart.htm
I guess am bad with colors, but I can't decide which color is the one for the shifter and wheel.

Bali: my shifter was ripped pretty bad, so that wasn't an option. My steering wheel was not that bad, but in order to make the shifter and wheel match I did both. Now am thinking about doing this leather recoloring. I just need to know which color it is. LOL
Old 01-24-08, 10:08 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Try to find those color codes on door jam sticker. Might also be there in vin.

Last resort, remove rear headrest and bring indoors to compare with screen.
Old 01-24-08, 10:44 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

If you want to re-dye, Leatherique makes some really good dye. If they don't have your color, if you send a very small sample (like a little flap of leather from under the seat), they will make you a custom dye that is dead on. I think their page is leatherique.com
Old 01-25-08, 01:03 AM
takumi117
Driver

post up some pics
Old 01-25-08, 07:27 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Alright, here's how the shifter and steering wheel looked like

And here's how they look like now put on the car:

Yeah, I know is too light, but when I picked the leather that seemed like the best choice I had. I must say, I like the new feel of fresh soft leather. My wife didn't like it too much because its too light, but she did give credit to the upholstery shop for the job.
Now that you've seen it, what do you guys think? Dye it right?
Old 01-25-08, 07:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

id dye it unless you can find a better option.

how much did it cost you if you dont mind my asking?
Old 01-25-08, 07:52 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

For everything it cost $360, but I only paid $160. I think the steering wheel was a bit pricey ($295), but since I was only paying what I paid, I didn't care.
Now that I did this, I found a pretty clean steering wheel on ebay, but my problem has always been the shifter and that you can not find in decent shape. i've looked for 2 years now and all I get is junk from ppl trying to sell theirs. So I think I'll be dyeing the shifter and steering wheel.
Old 01-25-08, 08:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by JDMCelsior
For everything it cost $360, but I only paid $160. I think the steering wheel was a bit pricey ($295), but since I was only paying what I paid, I didn't care.
Now that I did this, I found a pretty clean steering wheel on ebay, but my problem has always been the shifter and that you can not find in decent shape. i've looked for 2 years now and all I get is junk from ppl trying to sell theirs. So I think I'll be dyeing the shifter and steering wheel.
you could have always bought a wood/leather shifter from a later model LS, GS, or SC
Old 01-25-08, 09:09 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

I went to a lexus dealer today to get wiper refills. There I saw the new models, very nice, but kinda plasticy in some places. The one i liked was the LS460. Only 100 grand. Had a free coffee while I thought about it but decided to pass.

For some reason all of the shifters had been removed from the cars. I wonder why. Kinda drastic for theft prevention since the cars are already indoors and a bunch of people are always watching.
Old 01-25-08, 10:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Bali26
I went to a lexus dealer today to get wiper refills. There I saw the new models, very nice, but kinda plasticy in some places. The one i liked was the LS460. Only 100 grand. Had a free coffee while I thought about it but decided to pass.

For some reason all of the shifters had been removed from the cars. I wonder why. Kinda drastic for theft prevention since the cars are already indoors and a bunch of people are always watching.
ud be surprised......