LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Burning Regular for the 1st time

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 05:57 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Regular for the 1st time

Well, the differential between premium and regular is about $0.30 in my area, so I decided to save some money and burn regular this week. I've noticed very little difference so far other than a slight loss of power. Gas mileage seems to be about the same as before. This is the first time I've run regular and I plan on testing for the next couple of weeks or so, but I'm figuring I'm saving $ 6 on every fill up and a month of that is enough to buy about a half a tank of gas.

Anyone else using regular instead of premium?
Old 01-21-08, 06:31 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your car shouldnt have any problems with regular except for what you have listed. the only other thing i can recommend is using fuel injector cleaner at least once ever 6 month just incase of clogging.
Old 01-21-08, 06:52 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That slight loss of power is from your knock sensors detecting knocking, and retarding your ignition timing.
Old 01-21-08, 07:26 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Thanks Guys. I can live with the slight loss of power and will use the fuel injector cleaner. That $ 6 in savings will come in handy with gas prices being as they are.

I also have a Maxima that called for premium which I almost never used. That car has about 183K on the clock, so regular had no ill effects.
Old 01-21-08, 07:34 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using 89 all this winter... I figured the colder air would help to prevent any pre ignition.. I have not heard the engine ping even once. I also noticed a "difference" in the power.. but it was very slight.

However going back to premium on my trip to Nashville.. the return of the power.. WAS noticable... car just ran nicer.

I am planning to continue running 89.. at least.. and will try 87 now that others have said it was ok.

Thanks

Ken
Old 01-21-08, 07:49 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your Max a manual or auto? which year is it?

I have a 96 I30t 5 sped. I am afraid that I may regret it in the future I I sell it now.

Originally Posted by GKLCPA
Thanks Guys. I can live with the slight loss of power and will use the fuel injector cleaner. That $ 6 in savings will come in handy with gas prices being as they are.

I also have a Maxima that called for premium which I almost never used. That car has about 183K on the clock, so regular had no ill effects.
Old 01-21-08, 08:00 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dashan
Is your Max a manual or auto? which year is it?

I have a 96 I30t 5 sped. I am afraid that I may regret it in the future I I sell it now.
Mine is an automatic 1998 GLE with all options. I didn't know that the I30 came with a manual shift, I thought the Max SE was the only one with that option.

I wound up giving mine to my daughter. Nissan/Infiniti makes one hell of a car IMO; they're fast and durable. If you can, you might want to hang on to it.
Old 01-21-08, 09:46 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't know that the I30 came with a manual shift, I thought the Max SE was the only one with that option.
They're super rare. I found a black on black 97 I30t with 5spd and low miles, but it got hit pretty bad and they did a shoddy job on the repair. Still got bought pretty fast though. Nice cars IMO.
Old 01-22-08, 05:36 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

i never run less than 93 in mine. i like the power too much, as it's my slowest car already and i don't need it any slower! for the few dollar difference, i'll bring my lunch once a week to make up for it...
Old 01-22-08, 08:46 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i've only run regular twice. When i first got the car in chicago and didn't trust the premium (looked like a shady place) and in ATL when i was low on gas and refused to pay 40 cents extra for premium. I only put 3 gallons to get me home and filled her up at Sam's club with 93.

honestly, i barely felt a difference. but i drive a lot and i expect the best, so i put the recommended. Also it makes ME feel better.

The same can be said about Mobil 1. it may have little benefit, but makes me feel more comfortable. I still let my car idle for about 2 min in cold starts. I don't know if its needed, but i can honestly hear and feel the difference.

i can save in other ways. Drive less. Combine errands on trips. eat out less. Don't speed and get tickets. Buy text books on ebay!
Old 01-22-08, 11:11 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Keep in mind that they aren't pulling the recommendation for premium unleaded out of thin air. Running a lower octane is detrimental to your engine in the long term due to the minute amount of knocking that will occur. However, whether or not it is enough to decrease your engine's longevity is unproven and unlikely in my opinion, so you fill with regular at your own peril. I personally fill with 91-93 octane.
Old 01-22-08, 01:09 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I30t 5 sped is a completely different animal than my 96 LS4. It is much faster, much more stable in driving in Kentucky mountain highway. But the very firm suspension is killing me.

Mine is an automatic 1998 GLE with all options. I didn't know that the I30 came with a manual shift, I thought the Max SE was the only one with that option.

I wound up giving mine to my daughter. Nissan/Infiniti makes one hell of a car IMO; they're fast and durable. If you can, you might want to hang on to it.

Last edited by dashan; 01-22-08 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 01:57 PM
docdgt@com
Rookie

I use 97 octane all the time, and frankly, I can't tell any difference in performance, although there must be some. I'm not lead footed.

I have used reg for a year and have suffered no deleterious effects on my Gen II.

Try it and form your own opinion; you won't hurt anything.
Old 01-22-08, 03:55 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dashan
I30t 5 sped is a completely different animal than my 96 LS4. It is much faster, much more stable in driving in Kentucky mountain highway. But the very firm suspension is killing me.
No question about it that the I30/Maxima is much different than the LS (I have a 96 LS as well), but those cars are just about as durable and are far less costly to work on. My GLE is pretty smooth and does not have the firm suspension, so it's a decent luxury car, although no where near the LS.

If you don't have a lot of money to spend on basic maintenance, these cars aren't a bad deal. I driven the newer Maxima's and those things are hair trigger fast!

Last edited by GKLCPA; 01-22-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 03:59 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by docdgt@com
I use 97 octane all the time, and frankly, I can't tell any difference in performance, although there must be some. I'm not lead footed.

I have used reg for a year and have suffered no deleterious effects on my Gen II.

Try it and form your own opinion; you won't hurt anything.

This is my first tank of regular and I really can't tell much of a difference. I'll check my mpg at the end of the week and do some comparing. I'm thinking that I'll run premium maybe once a month or so depending how the mpg are. My concern was that the savings on regular would be offset for less mpg. If that's the case, I'll switch back to premium.

Quick Reply: Burning Regular for the 1st time