LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

...brake problems...please help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 08:54 PM
en11871
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ...brake problems...please help!!!!!!!

Hi,

I have been posting several problems recently. These problems seem to be happening at the same, but have nothing to do with each other. My newest problem...OK...This morning when I got into the car. I don't know why but I pumped my brakes a few times. It was bad habit because I want to make sure I have pressure since I have had my brake fluid bled. I believe I needed a master cylinder, but the one that I ordered was not good, but my mechanic said the old is still sufficient for now...since the new one was leaking...back to my story...so I was pumping the brake a few times and then the brake pedal actually raised up where I couldn't step down on it...at the same time I put the car in reverse...I couldn't step on the brake so I just quick put the car back in back...then the brake pedal was fine again...guys...please help for that was really scary!!!!
Old 01-20-08, 09:20 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL,,, you are having a time. Anytime you pump the brakes, especially while in park, the brake pedal is gonna raise up a little and eventually if you pump it enough times it will hit a point where it will not go down anymore. Basically by you pumpin it like that,, you are creating a vacuum. When the pressure is full, no more room to pump down. When you put the car in gear, you are relieving some of that vacuum pressure that you have built up and they will work normally again. If you have ever seen someone Manually bleed brakes, you will notice them pump the pedal a few times until the pedal starts to raise up and then hold it for a few seconds while the guy under the car relieves the presure (making sure there is no bubbles in the fluid). This process will be repeated a few times during the bleeding process. I may not be explaining it clearly, but you bad habit just caught up to you anc scared the living daylights out of you. I would be more worried if you pump the brakes and the pedal falls all the way to the floor. Your brakes are fine. Basically, if the pedal aint on the floor when you put the car in gear,,, no need to pump the brakes up.
Old 01-22-08, 03:53 PM
en11871
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ...brake problems...please help!!!!!!!

Truk,

Thank you so much. Since you're helping me. I will go over the actual step in what happened. After the car had been sitting say 10hrs, so the car is not warm. I got into the car. I pumped the brakes a few times. It appears to be working. Then I put the car in reverse, that is when the brake pedal seems stuck. I had to put the car in Park again to prevent me to bump the car behind me. Then I put the car in Drive and the brakes were ok. So is that the same as when I mentioned earlier in the post? I don't know if it made a difference whether the pedal was stuck before or after I put the car in Reverse. Will the pedal be stuck if I don't pump the brakes a few times? Will that happen if I just step on the pedal just to shift the car into Reverse or Drive? BTW, a faulty master cylinder will have a brake pedal go all the way down right? If I'm wrong let me know. So what are the symptons of a faulty brake booster? Did you think I have anything else wrong with my braking system, because how come I have never had that problem of the stuck brake pedal? I really hope you can help me out or give me a piece of mind at my email address (icollectibles@yahoo.com). Looking forward.