LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Beeping sound coming from speakers '91 LS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 05:59 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Beeping sound coming from speakers '91 LS

I tore out the car phone from the console about a month ago (not sure if it has anything to do with the noise) I cut the wires, none of the wires are touching each other, I checked.

Everytime I turn the car on I hear a big BEEP. It's pretty loud and it makes the same sound when I would press POWER on the car phone months earlier.

Does anybody know what's going on?

This is totally out of the blue. I washed my car, 10 minutes later it started this beeping sound. At first, it would beep intermittently, every 15 or 30 seconds.

Now it just beeps when I turn the car on.

Talk about strange.
Old 01-12-08, 07:45 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like even though you removed the phone from the center console, the wiring that goes to the stereo for the phone is still live and thinks that the phone is ALWAYS on now. Remember, the center console car phone would work through the car's speakers and stereo. Now with the phone gone, the wiring/circuit for the phone as it relates to the stereo still thinks that there is a phone there and hence the beep when you turn the car on. My phone beeps intermittently, keeps turning itself on/off. Could never figure it out. I would say to see if you can locate the fuse for the phone and pull it so that console area is dead, may solve the problem.
Old 01-12-08, 09:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

This issue has been reported a number of times in the past. The problem might be caused by "none of the wires are touching each other" - continuity in the phone system has been interrupted.

Removing phone system components by cutting wires can cause a variety of problems although some people seem to get away with doing it. Consider doing some minor disassembly of the center console and the trunk trim and unplug the phone system components from the factory installed phone wiring harness. Removing the phone control from the steering wheel does not seem to matter so you might as well leave it place unless you have the plastic blank to cover the hole left by removing it.

Later LS400s require plugging two large connectors together after removing the phone ECU in the trunk. I think it was reported that this is not the case with the early LS400 -- you might be able to find a thread about this by doing a search.

This might be good time to install a Bluetooth phone kit if you want one. A radio mute connection is on one of the phone system wiring harness connectors and you could find it by testing the pins in the with a grounded 12V unpowered test light with the radio on.