LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

dealer or independent shops

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 01:24 PM
travman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer or independent shops

I have a 98 LS 400 with 77,000 miles. Its been recommend to change my serpentine belt should I replace the timing belt at the same time? I have dark transmission fluid which leads to the debate of do I need to flush or just change. Are these important to be done at a dealer or can a NTB tire service do it? thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-08, 01:29 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i think the timing belt can be done at 90k miles as I believe thats when its due.

The serp belt is no big deal at all. My friend did it for me in 3 minutes on my GS400. Go to any place to get that done and wait on your timing belt. I bought a new one at autozone for $40 and I bought my friend some burgers to do it.

Just go to NTB and save $

Might as well flush it btw
Old 01-11-08, 01:49 PM
ZIP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j stuff
well i think the timing belt can be done at 90k miles as I believe thats when its due.

Might as well flush it btw
Timing belt recommended service interval is 90k miles OR 72 months whichever comes FIRST. You're due coz of age. Its an interference motor so if the belt goes, so do the valves. T/belt, idlers, tensioner... consider w/pump and cam seals since its already open. Use genuine Lexus parts...they cost more because they're that much better.

If your fluid is really dark, flushing it might wash out all the goop that's holding your trans together. I wouldn't do more than a drain and fill. Make sure whoever you decide to take it to uses the correct fluid (TIV).

Dealers know these cars well. Hope whoever you take it to does so as well.
My .02
Old 01-11-08, 05:17 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Does "mo" in your location mean "Missouri"? If so, where in Missouri are you? I might be able to recommend a non-dealer repair shop that has Lexus trained mechanics.

I certainly would not trust a NTB "mechanic" to do much of anything -- especially not to change a timing belt on a Lexus. It is not just a matter of replacing the timing belt -- other miscellaneous parts should be replaced at the same time.
Old 01-11-08, 06:22 PM
travman
Driver School Candidate

Kansas
I would appreciate a referal but I am St. louis.
Old 01-12-08, 01:42 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by travman
I have a 98 LS 400 with 77,000 miles. Its been recommend to change my serpentine belt should I replace the timing belt at the same time? I have dark transmission fluid which leads to the debate of do I need to flush or just change. Are these important to be done at a dealer or can a NTB tire service do it? thanks in advance.
I have never gone to a dealer and don't advise anyone to do it either.
If you can find an independant mech. who knows what he's doing, then definately go to him.
If not, then yeah, you'll have no choice but to go to the dealer.
If you do, bring a large jar of vaseline... You'll need it

Serpantine belt can be changed by anyone. I do it myself and it takes 5 minutes including a beer brake.
Transmission should be drained and refilled, but not flushed. LS are notorious for dark trans fluid, so don't be too worried about that.

Timing belt is another story. You can inspect it yourself if you remove one of the covers. If it's not cracked, then you don't need to replace it until at least 120K. Dealer will charge you close to 2K to do all the work.
Old 01-14-08, 09:21 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its simple fixes go indepenent

Lexus quoted me $760+tax on lower balljoints for my 94LS4

A couple of balljoints cost around 200 something from carson lexus and then my friend installs them in 20 minutes for $20 bux
Old 01-21-08, 05:53 PM
travman
Driver School Candidate

My dealer charges $80 for an oil change, I am sure for a transmission fluid change it wont be cheap. I dont have a good mech. name for a lexes and I am afraid of them not using the right fluids or parts so I might be forced to go dealer. I am hoping someone comes on here with a referal for St. Louis.
Old 01-21-08, 05:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

My dealer charges $80 for an oil change, I am sure for a transmission fluid change it wont be cheap. I dont have a good mech. name for a lexes and I am afraid of them not using the right fluids or parts so I might be forced to go dealer. I am hoping someone comes on here with a referal for St. Louis.
check the regional forums....
Old 01-21-08, 07:00 PM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rice
I have never gone to a dealer and don't advise anyone to do it either.
If you can find an independant mech. who knows what he's doing, then definately go to him.
If not, then yeah, you'll have no choice but to go to the dealer.
If you do, bring a large jar of vaseline... You'll need it

Serpantine belt can be changed by anyone. I do it myself and it takes 5 minutes including a beer brake.
Transmission should be drained and refilled, but not flushed. LS are notorious for dark trans fluid, so don't be too worried about that.

Timing belt is another story. You can inspect it yourself if you remove one of the covers. If it's not cracked, then you don't need to replace it until at least 120K. Dealer will charge you close to 2K to do all the work.
Well thats retarded. The Lexus dealers do get close to $100 an hour, but I would never trust an independent shop to do a job like a T-belt and WP on an interference motor. You get what you pay for. FANTASTIC customer service, a loaner (RX 330) with free gas, WARRANTY on the work, piece of mind knowing if they F*** Up, you are SOOOO covered by Lexus, and its their ***. Try getting any of that from 'Bud's Car Repair'. Plus the record of it goes in the national database, which is awesome to have proof of for resale value. That is THE most important PM item on an LS4, and is worth the security of having the dealer do it. Plus it feels great sucking up on all the Star Bucks, soda, and plasma tv's while you're there. Of course, going there for oil changes and simple things like that is not economically feasible for a guy with a $8000, 12 year old car....but for something like potentially trashing youre motor to save a few bucks, it's nice to have a bonafide dealer on the hook for any screw ups. I know from experience, Lexus will do ANYTHING to make a customer happy.
Old 01-21-08, 08:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nolyaw
Well thats retarded. The Lexus dealers do get close to $100 an hour, but I would never trust an independent shop to do a job like a T-belt and WP on an interference motor. You get what you pay for. FANTASTIC customer service, a loaner (RX 330) with free gas, WARRANTY on the work, piece of mind knowing if they F*** Up, you are SOOOO covered by Lexus, and its their ***. Try getting any of that from 'Bud's Car Repair'. Plus the record of it goes in the national database, which is awesome to have proof of for resale value. That is THE most important PM item on an LS4, and is worth the security of having the dealer do it. Plus it feels great sucking up on all the Star Bucks, soda, and plasma tv's while you're there. Of course, going there for oil changes and simple things like that is not economically feasible for a guy with a $8000, 12 year old car....but for something like potentially trashing youre motor to save a few bucks, it's nice to have a bonafide dealer on the hook for any screw ups. I know from experience, Lexus will do ANYTHING to make a customer happy.
thats why you go to a REPUTABLE independent.

one of the independent shops i go to (of like, 3 maybe ) employs basically nothing but master-techs to work on the cars, as in LEXUS, MERCEDES, and TOYOTA master-techs.

of course, the number of bad independent shops is greater than the good, so make sure you do your research
Old 01-21-08, 09:51 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get that belt changed.. and take it to the dealer if you don't know a good shop that has been around a while... for the small stuff NTB would be ok I guess.. But really I like doing the oil changes myself.

Just in case anybody lives near Cincinnati, Ohio. I have used Withers Imports on Vine St. They have been at that location for over 30 years.
http://www.withersimports.com/

They know the stuff.. and they are very trustworthy... They don't do or even offer to do work that is not needed.

My friend had a 2000 Nissan Sentra. He had about 120K on it. And I had been after him to get the T/Belt done... I called Withers.. and asked the price...It was a good price, but he kept asking me if it was still running.. I said yes... he said OK.. but seemed confused by my answer... Finally he came back and asked WHY I wanted this changed.. I said the belt could break and cause damage... He said.. NO.. cause it has a CHAIN.. not a belt... and does not need to be changed yet... or mabye ever.

The point is... I had no idea it had a chain.. He COULD have just told me the price.. and let us bring in the car and pay the $$$.. never knowing. But he was honest.. and told us the facts.

I really feel much better taking my car to someone who is honest.. AND knows what the hell they are doing.

On some things I have found that the price is near the dealer price.. other things.. much less.

But knowing you are not beeing scammed, is worth something for sure.

Just wanted to pass on the info on this great local shop.

Ken
Old 01-21-08, 10:35 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer charges $80 for an oil change
Jesus! There better be an air freshener or fill up on gas included with that. That is just super ridiculous.

PD is right about independents, go to them based on more than few recommendations. Couldn't hurt to check the BBB or the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) records to see if there are any past problems between shop and customer.

My cousin went to some Joe Blow Auto Repair for an oil change, and they screwed him good (by threading his oil plug on the pan). And this is AFTER I showed him how he could do it on his own! I'm sure you get a few of these types of screwups at any dealer also.
Old 01-22-08, 04:38 AM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kens97sto
Get that belt changed.. and take it to the dealer if you don't know a good shop that has been around a while... for the small stuff NTB would be ok I guess.. But really I like doing the oil changes myself.

Just in case anybody lives near Cincinnati, Ohio. I have used Withers Imports on Vine St. They have been at that location for over 30 years.
http://www.withersimports.com/

They know the stuff.. and they are very trustworthy... They don't do or even offer to do work that is not needed.

My friend had a 2000 Nissan Sentra. He had about 120K on it. And I had been after him to get the T/Belt done... I called Withers.. and asked the price...It was a good price, but he kept asking me if it was still running.. I said yes... he said OK.. but seemed confused by my answer... Finally he came back and asked WHY I wanted this changed.. I said the belt could break and cause damage... He said.. NO.. cause it has a CHAIN.. not a belt... and does not need to be changed yet... or mabye ever.

The point is... I had no idea it had a chain.. He COULD have just told me the price.. and let us bring in the car and pay the $$$.. never knowing. But he was honest.. and told us the facts.

I really feel much better taking my car to someone who is honest.. AND knows what the hell they are doing.

On some things I have found that the price is near the dealer price.. other things.. much less.

But knowing you are not beeing scammed, is worth something for sure.

Just wanted to pass on the info on this great local shop.

Ken
I live in Hebron, grew up in Wyoming, so I know about Withers. They left a socket underneath the T-belt cover of my freinds 944 Turbo, and destroyed his motor. They DID repair the damages on their own dime, however. Iguess they would be okay for small stuff, if you cant do it yourself. Make sure you don't have anything valuable in your ride, because you're gonna get a broken window and JACKED on Vine St. Rough area...
Old 01-22-08, 08:29 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by avalon42
Jesus! There better be an air freshener or fill up on gas included with that. That is just super ridiculous.
so what IS the average price for an oil change at a dealership???

Quick Reply: dealer or independent shops