LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing Belt Issues on 99 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 09:37 PM
Nyxtopouli
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing Belt Issues on 99 LS 400

I am in dire need of help regarding the timing belt on a 99 Lexus LS 400. I replaced the engine pullies and timing belt, and tensioner. I alligned the engine when removing the belt at 50 degrees (the white dot on the plastic timing plate) and removed the belt. I replaced the pullies, and then placed the new timing belt on. I matched the arrows on the belt with the notches on the cams while the timing was still at 50 degrees, so that the Arrows pointed at the "T" mark near the cams. I made sure to match the CR on the belt with the crank, and then placed the new tensioner on the car. i removed the pin so as to tighten the belt. After this i cranked the crank by hand with the wrench as a check to see how the timing was. I made the two rotations as suggested, however the timing belt arrows were no longer at the notched positions on the cams, and were further several teeth. The CR i believe is also off alignment. However, even though the marking on the belt are off, the cams are in timing with the crank, when i rotate as indicated by the notches on the cams with the notches on the crank and their respective reference points. TDC with the cam notches and the "0" with the crank notch. also matched were the cam's notches at the "T" position while the crank notch was matched at the white dot (approx. the 50 degree position). My concern is if i neglected the marking on the belt, despite the correct timings with the crank and cams as indicated by there respective markings. would this cause issues with the timing, and potentially damage the engine; or is the position of the markings on the belt irrelevant since the crank and cams appear to be in proper alignment?????

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Old 12-28-07, 11:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dude, no worried, the marking on the belt are for the first time installation only, they are not suposed to align after you revolve crank and cams. You just have to follow them during the initial install, and after that as long as them cams align with the marks on the engine, and crank is at TDC, you did everything correct. LOL, the funny thing I just finished TB replacement on my 94 LS a couple days ago, and I had the same thing as you with the marks on the belt, and I kind of freaked out at first, until I realized whats going on.

On the side note, as far as I know VVTi engines have different marks on the cams, suposedly "T" and "I" marks. Make sure you're aligning the right ones.
Old 12-29-07, 12:57 PM
Nyxtopouli
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!!!

Thanks a lot!!! Everything went well!!! The only thing that did matter after all was the fact that the crank and the cams were in sync. The process went well without a hitch. Again thanks for the input. For further reference regarding this issue, I consulted with two mechanics at the lexus dealership and they too said that it would occur like that. Because of the rotation at different speeds. both mechanics agreed that if the timing of the cams and crank were in sync, there should be no issue, as there was none in this case.
Old 12-29-07, 05:55 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

My strategy with timing belts has been to paint multiple markings on the both the belt and on each pulley while the old belt is installed and the engine is at TDC . Then I take a picture of the marked up belt and pulleys.

Then I take off the old belt and tranfer the marks to the new belt and then reinstall the belt so that it's installed exactly the same as the old belt was. I verify everything by consulting the photo I took with the old belt installed.
Old 12-29-07, 08:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW07ES
My strategy with timing belts has been to paint multiple markings on the both the belt and on each pulley while the old belt is installed and the engine is at TDC . Then I take a picture of the marked up belt and pulleys.

Then I take off the old belt and tranfer the marks to the new belt and then reinstall the belt so that it's installed exactly the same as the old belt was. I verify everything by consulting the photo I took with the old belt installed.
Not sure if its a good stragegy. What if the old belt is off? What if its stretched?
Old 12-29-07, 09:05 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't use those marks on the belt to align it. after a while you just kind of have a feeling as to where the belt placement should be.
Old 12-29-07, 09:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lxgs4
i don't use those marks on the belt to align it. after a while you just kind of have a feeling as to where the belt placement should be.
Well, that too. As long as its nice and tight going from crank gear to L cam gear, and between L and R cam gears, and if the tensioner picks up the slack, you're good.