LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter paranoia and no trunk remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 11:02 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter paranoia and no trunk remote

2 little issues on my month old 98 LS (122k).

First, I keep hearing about starter issues on LS's and am wondering if there are any warning signs. My 98LS w/ 122k that I've owned for a month starts just fine. But the starter seems kind of high-pitched, and takes what sounds like 3 revs or cycles of the high-pitched whine (sounds kind of like "reee-reee-reee) before it catches. This could well be normal; if not I'd like to know so I can start saving!

Also, my keyless remote works fine except it won't open the trunk. I'm wondering if the P.O. might have had it programmed not to work the trunk for some reason.
Old 12-16-07, 11:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

cant remember about the starter (still brain dead from finals ) but for the trunk, you ARE holding down the trunk button right, just pressing it wont do anything.
Old 12-17-07, 05:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sounds like the normal noise they make. when they start to fail, they may click once and you'll think "hmmm that's weird" and then you'll turn the key again and it'll start right up. then it may not do it again for weeks. then one day it will just click and you'll try it again and it'll start, or click again and you try again and then it starts. they usually don't just die.
Old 12-17-07, 10:18 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'll do that click thing randomly and once it starts to do it every time you're in for a new starter.

mine needed 2-3 tries before starting for a good month before it finally let go on me.
Old 12-17-07, 11:56 PM
Spacepig
Rookie

Thanks all. Sounds like my starter is ok; I'm not getting any clicking; it cranks every time. As for the trunk remote, I'll have to try holding down the remote for the trunk longer and see if it comes to life. I'm still learning about the features on this thing. Did manage to get the Homelink garage door opener programmed last night; very easy using instructions off the homelink website.
Old 03-19-08, 06:29 AM
Patrickb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
that sounds like the normal noise they make. when they start to fail, they may click once and you'll think "hmmm that's weird" and then you'll turn the key again and it'll start right up. then it may not do it again for weeks. then one day it will just click and you'll try it again and it'll start, or click again and you try again and then it starts. they usually don't just die.
mine has started doing this. :-/
Old 03-19-08, 04:05 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup starter is no big deal. It will do the clicking because it is physically stuck.

If you can get to it,.. I haven't checked where the location of the starter on the lexus is.. but you can probably get to it from the bottom enough ..

Anyhow -- If it sticks, and you need to get somewhere and have to get it started.. Grab a hammer.. (seriously) -- Give it a few love taps, and try it again. Nothing, bang a little harder. 9 times out of 10 it will start again.. Sometimes you can get another dozen starts out of a dead starter with the hammer trick.

Sounds redneck, and it is,.. but just the nature of the device and what is happening inside.
Old 03-19-08, 04:21 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

isnt the starter under the intake manifold on the 1uz?
Old 03-19-08, 04:48 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neofate
Yup starter is no big deal. It will do the clicking because it is physically stuck.

If you can get to it,.. I haven't checked where the location of the starter on the lexus is.. but you can probably get to it from the bottom enough ..

Anyhow -- If it sticks, and you need to get somewhere and have to get it started.. Grab a hammer.. (seriously) -- Give it a few love taps, and try it again. Nothing, bang a little harder. 9 times out of 10 it will start again.. Sometimes you can get another dozen starts out of a dead starter with the hammer trick.

Sounds redneck, and it is,.. but just the nature of the device and what is happening inside.
explain this some more
Old 03-19-08, 05:49 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate

It clicks because you're hearing the relay, but there is no voltage being applied across the solenoid because the contacts are worn.

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
isnt the starter under the intake manifold on the 1uz?
Yes.