LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

woohoo! fixed my heater.. well.. sort of..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 02:43 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default woohoo! fixed my heater.. well.. sort of..

thought the valve on the firewall was bad. watched the motor actuate it and it moved up and down while someone adjusted the heater controls inside but the heat never worked still. so i pulled off the wire that actuated it and manually moved it all the way up. wham! i've got heat again! so anyone have to replace the motor that moves the heater core valve? any idea how much thats gonna run me? time consuming?

blahh!

Last edited by turbosix; 12-17-07 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-18-07, 03:13 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm seriousky the only one with this problem? damn that blows..
Old 12-26-07, 02:06 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no dude.
you are not the only one.
It just seems that you and I like to answer our own posts. :-)

Your issue is slightly different than mine. If your wire does move, you have another problem. Probably related to the thermostat or interior sensors. I can email you part of my manual for help.

the valve is part number: 87240-50010 (1st Gen)
around 65 - 85 dollars at any dealer or online.
Get it and then get ready.

The problem is the actuator not moving the wire.

The 'bad' water valve leaks fluid down the cable towards the firewall and water corrodes the servo-motor. The servo motor is part: 87106-50020 around $300 new.

I am hunting down some junkyards for the part on a used LS.

we'll see.

I've talked to a Lexus Dealer Mechanic and he says that sometimes the wire can get bungled up on the arm, but if you don't hear any 'motor' noise like before...it is most likely burned.

sucks I know - cause its friggin cold out now!
My issue exactly is it the AC can go down but not push back the wire back up to bring the heat back.
So auto is useless to me and I just leave the heat on and the sunroof open.

anyone with a deal on a heater POST UP!

BTW - you have to remove the heater from what he told me as the servomotor is on the bottom.
I am yet to verify. Because I don't want to have to take the car somewhere to get the Freon sucked out.
Just to replace a part on the heater. :-(

Last edited by lorenzo816; 12-26-07 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-26-07, 04:03 PM
KU Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me after my "shop" replaced my starter (which involves removing the intake manifold right there) and when I took it back to complain the guy showed me that valve too. And said he didn't mess with it. Yeah right. Anyway, I also had a problem with the car still not starting and they said that it was due to a malfunctioning relay with the automatic headlights and that I just need to use the lights manually when its really cold (like it has been here for a week). makes me think there was nothing wrong with the starter in the first place. But then again, it did occasionally make a nasty grinding sound on startup. Also, I used the auto lights last year and i never had problems with it. oh well. Its just money right? J/K

Last edited by KU Lex; 12-26-07 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-26-07, 05:05 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

So I got to ask, did any of your guys problems stem from your motor not working on any level other than "low"? I am hoping it is just a resistor for my problem, but my lexus dealer is puzzled and so am I
Old 12-26-07, 09:02 PM
lorenzo816
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

motor on low...
?

Don't know exactly what you mean by that. If you mean my AC/Heat on low... didn't matter what I had it set on. If I wanted heat when my wife had 'touched' it down a bit in temp, I had to pop the hood and yank the lever back up.

I thought the first guy's issue was the same as mine, but I read it again and his servo-motor does indeed move the valve... perhaps the valve is stuck.
Or like I was saying, there are some steps to go through the manual first before pinpointing the actuator. It could be something else.

As for the KU Lex's problem, I don't think those guys would have to touch your water valve. They could work around it. (correct me if I'm wrong veterans)
Your car not starting could be a crappy spring on the plunger for the starter... or they didn't give you a good quality replacement. if that's the case, sorry bro
Old 12-28-07, 05:46 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

lorenzo816 Sorry about that. I should be more specific. My A/C heater blower motor will only work on "low" speed. even if the auto mode is on will it work in any other speed than low. I took the car in and they said it is either the switch on the dash, the resistor, or the blower motor itself. it gets plenty hot in the cabin, so I have temp. It just will not blow on any speed other low, press the medium speed button, you get low, press the high speed button, you get low. I am just hoping that is issue not a prelude of larger things to come. thanks to responding.
Old 01-07-08, 12:14 PM
Rice
Pole Position

I had the same issue on my Supra.
Different Toyota, same crappy design...
Any way, the dealer and th repair manual state that you have to replace the whole assembly that controls temp or about 500 clams. I ended up replacing resistor $1 from Radio Shack.
If you can get inside the unit, you can do the same.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by 208Soarer
lorenzo816 Sorry about that. I should be more specific. My A/C heater blower motor will only work on "low" speed. even if the auto mode is on will it work in any other speed than low. I took the car in and they said it is either the switch on the dash, the resistor, or the blower motor itself. it gets plenty hot in the cabin, so I have temp. It just will not blow on any speed other low, press the medium speed button, you get low, press the high speed button, you get low. I am just hoping that is issue not a prelude of larger things to come. thanks to responding.