LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rental Cars and the LS400

Old 12-10-07, 06:20 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rental Cars and the LS400

I do a significant amount if business travel that requires me to rent vehicles. I just got off a trip driving a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. I can not even begin to describe how terrible that car was.

I've been in some pretty bad cars over the years, but this was at the top of the bad list.

It is so nice to go from a brand new 2007 car and get into a 1995 car and be amazed at the quality, ride and craftsmanship of the LS4.
Old 12-10-07, 06:22 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I do a ton of business travel I rent a different car almost every week.
I get really dissapointed when Hertz has a Taurus for me, all the Ford products are of such poor build quality. The Lincolns are a Grand marquis with wood trim - The Navigator is an Expedition that says "Lincoln" on it. They are all plastic! The Impalas are a bit better than the Fords.
The new Caddilacs are not that bad - I would never buy one over a Lexus but the Caddys are getting better.
I have a 2000 LS400 and I love seeing it waiting for me at the airport when I land. Better than any 2007 08 Chevy or Ford car in my opinion!
Old 12-10-07, 11:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a huge problem with the LS, just everything else look "cheap". It will be even harder when your looking for a replacement car. Thats what the LS430 is for
Old 12-11-07, 12:12 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've always said i'd rather have a 100k mile LS than a brand new ford or gm.
Old 12-11-07, 01:59 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont want to get rid of my ls400 anytime soon. Ill have to just buy another one if that time ever comes. Maybe the 04 LS430 would be a choice.
Old 12-11-07, 06:01 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
I get really dissapointed when Hertz has a Taurus for me, all the Ford products are of such poor build quality.
I only rent cars a few times each year but the most pleasant one I have rented in the past couple of years was the Ford Five Hundred - now called the Taurus. The one I rented from Hertz in 2006 was a very well equipted model with 18" wheels, sport suspension and every option except navigation. The interior materials quality was not as good as my 00 LS400 but was on a par with many Mercedes models. It was incredibly roomy and had wonderfully comfortable front and rear seats. I drove it hard for almost two weeks mostly on two lane backroads around rural Virginia and found its handling to be sharp and much more fun than my LS.

The most unpleasant car was the Infinity M35 we rented from Hertz for 10 days in Massachusetts last spring. Although it was very well optioned, the seats were not very comfortable, the engine noise was crude, the dash controls amusingly confusing, and the handling was harsh and darty. I have never been so glad to turn in a rental car.

The Honda Accord we rented for two weeks in southern Florida in July was somewhere in the middle. A fairly pleasant, roomy and comfortable car but not much fun to drive.

Rental companies and especially Hertz have some really nice and even exotic rental cars if you are willing to pay a little more.
Old 12-11-07, 06:08 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

The CEO of Ford is a LS owner and thinks it's the best production car ever made. He wants Ford to make a quality car like the LS. The Taurus is their attempt at this. I'll have to test drive one of those to see what the deal is.

Originally Posted by Kansas
I only rent cars a few times each year but the most pleasant one I have rented in the past couple of years was the Ford Five Hundred - now called the Taurus. The one I rented from Hertz in 2006 was a very well equipted model with 18" wheels, sport suspension and every option except navigation. The interior materials quality was not as good as my 00 LS400 but was on a par with many Mercedes models. It was incredibly roomy and had wonderfully comfortable front and rear seats. I drove it hard for almost two weeks mostly on two lane backroads around rural Virginia and found its handling to be sharp and much more fun than my LS.

The most unpleasant car was the Infinity M35 we rented from Hertz for 10 days in Massachusetts last spring. Although it was very well optioned, the seats were not very comfortable, the engine noise was crude, the dash controls amusingly confusing, and the handling was harsh and darty. I have never been so glad to turn in a rental car.

The Honda Accord we rented for two weeks in southern Florida in July was somewhere in the middle. A fairly pleasant, roomy and comfortable car but not much fun to drive.

Rental companies and especially Hertz have some really nice and even exotic rental cars if you are willing to pay a little more.
Old 12-11-07, 07:28 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

My next car will most likely be a 05 LS 430!
Old 12-12-07, 08:21 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas

my wife drives a ford freestyle which is the wagon version of the 500....it's a great car for the price and roomy as well with all seats laid down....i got rid of my 99 expedition when we bought the freestyle cuz i really didn't need it anymore....i only kept it for hauling stuff, and the freestyle works great in it's place.....

i have driven the 500 sedan as well, and while it is a nice car, it doesn't hold a candle to my 99 LS400