LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My LS 400 is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-07, 01:33 PM
kaptivator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My LS 400 is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some help! I have a 1990 Lexus LS 400 and I gave my friend a jump yesterday. Then, I noticed that all my warning lights on the dash were on. I drove home parked the car and this morning it wouldn't start. I can hear the starter clicking as it trys to start the car but it won't turn over.

Could I have blown a fuse or shorted the alternator during the jump. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-07, 02:28 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

dead battery?
Old 12-09-07, 02:33 PM
kaptivator
Driver School Candidate

I know that the battery is dead now. But I am concerned with why the battery went dead all of a sudden after the jump. Could I have blown a fuse or shorted the alternator during the jump?
Old 12-09-07, 03:04 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How old is the battery? Sometimes they just puke and that's that..

Obviously you need a new one - get the battery and go from there.

Did you connect + to + and - to -? I know I've seen in some owners manuals that you're supposed to put the ground lead on the dead car to a chassis ground (not directly to the battery) - but that's really to protect the dead car. And you DID have your car running during the jump right?
Old 12-09-07, 03:15 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

These cars really show no warning of a dead battery. Just one day your SOL. Just replace it, they usually go bad in a couple years.
Old 12-09-07, 07:41 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You didn't by chance reverse the positive and negative wires, did you?
Old 12-09-07, 09:17 PM
kaptivator
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help! I have removed the battery and I am taking it to get it checked tomorrow, if its bad or cannot be recharged I am buying a new one. When I hooked the jumper cables up my car was running and I made sure that the cables were correctly placed on the correct terminals.

I believe that after I gave the jump to my friend that I blew a fuse, relay, regulator or something that triggered the alternator to stop. After I jumped him all my dash warning lights came on at that point I believe my car was powered by battery only and drained it. Does that make sense? Is that possible? What could have made my alternator stop working after I gave him a jump?
Old 12-14-07, 12:59 PM
royale455
Driver School Candidate

How did you connect the cables? They should be connected as follows:

Car w/good Batt -------- Car w/Bad Batt
Positive <------------> Positive
Negative <-----------> Ground (chassis or engine block - something metal unpainted)

Do NOT connect the negative terminals together!

If you did not connect it this way it is possible to fry the alternator and I'm not sure what else. Happened to my Dad on a Volvo many years ago.

Last edited by royale455; 12-14-07 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 01:13 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

If you did, in fact, put the cables on wrong, your car would not start, and all the warning lights would be on too, unless that fuse blew too. If thats the case.... let me (us) know, and I can direct you to the correct fuse to change out. Its only about $3, but thats awhile to change cause its in a really weird, and tight, spot.

I have pictures that I can send you with instructions how to change the correct fuses.
Old 12-14-07, 02:22 PM
FCDRIFT
Rookie

sounds like ur alternator is bad. usually when all the idiot lights come on its alternator. good luck
Old 12-15-07, 08:48 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Your Alternator is DEAD
Old 12-15-07, 12:10 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

two things to check most likely your battery is bad and possible your alternator could be bad ALSO CHECK FOR LEAKS ON YOUR POWER STEERING IF IT HAS A LEAK IT WILL SHORT OUT THE ALTERNATOR , MY ALTERNATOR HAS 194,000 MILES AND GOING STRONG . The battery after 3 years can go bad not uncommon also after changing the battery after the car has had time to charge the battery (if the alternator is good) it takes about 2-3 hours of driving to fully charge the battery check the voltage on the battery it should be about 12.5vdc to 13.8 vdc if the alternator is working ok.
Old 12-15-07, 07:07 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
two things to check most likely your battery is bad and possible your alternator could be bad ALSO CHECK FOR LEAKS ON YOUR POWER STEERING IF IT HAS A LEAK IT WILL SHORT OUT THE ALTERNATOR , MY ALTERNATOR HAS 194,000 MILES AND GOING STRONG . The battery after 3 years can go bad not uncommon also after changing the battery after the car has had time to charge the battery (if the alternator is good) it takes about 2-3 hours of driving to fully charge the battery check the voltage on the battery it should be about 12.5vdc to 13.8 vdc if the alternator is working ok.
alternators are ABSOLUTELY NOT MEANT TO CHARGE A DEAD BATTERY!

if your battery dies and you get a jump you need to take th car home and put it on a charger. relying on your alternator to charge a dead battery is a quick road to a dead alternator.

whatever you do, do not drive around for awhile and hope your alternator charges your battery. they are not designed for that and relying on one to do so will end up with you on the side of the road again with a dead alternator.
Old 12-15-07, 10:21 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaptivator
Thanks for all the help! I have removed the battery and I am taking it to get it checked tomorrow, if its bad or cannot be recharged I am buying a new one. When I hooked the jumper cables up my car was running and I made sure that the cables were correctly placed on the correct terminals.

I believe that after I gave the jump to my friend that I blew a fuse, relay, regulator or something that triggered the alternator to stop. After I jumped him all my dash warning lights came on at that point I believe my car was powered by battery only and drained it. Does that make sense? Is that possible? What could have made my alternator stop working after I gave him a jump?
what did you find out? id check your fuses....
Old 12-18-07, 07:49 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the latest news was the battery bad or what I recently had a battery go bad after 2 years it was sucking from the sides and started to smoke I just didn't just take it out I threw it out. I have noticed that my lexus over the last 7 years chews up battiers about every 2 1/2 years and have heard other people had same problem. The Lexus people had no answers .

Quick Reply: My LS 400 is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!