LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power steering noise in cold weather help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 01:45 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Power steering noise in cold weather help!!

please help, I left the cad in cold weather,and the pump was making noise, for 25 mi utes and then went away. Could be water in the system.
Old 12-02-07, 01:58 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol my car acted funny too this morning, first sight of snow in NY and this happens. but the funnyness went away after like 2-3 mins or warming up.
Old 12-02-07, 07:16 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

This is not normal!!!!

Today was the first day of snow in NYC. It was 21F when I left the house. Car was fine when I left home from the garage.
I left the car outside in 28F degree weather for 7 hours and when I came back, the power steering pump was making nasty noises.
Now I know if the fluid is low, it will keep making that noise untill you add some fluid. But the noise went away after 15 minutes of driving.

Should I change the PS fluid?
Is it possible that there is some air?/ moisture? in the system?

This is temparture related. What do you guys think?

I do NOT want to ruin the pump.

Thanks
Dave
Old 12-02-07, 07:23 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same with my SC, I added some fluid and Lucasoil PS fluid then it was gone for about 2 months, now it is cold again and the same thing is happening. I'd like to find out how to fix it too.
Old 12-02-07, 07:49 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am sure i answered this 2 weeks ago.
Your screen behind the variable solenoid is plugged, add new fluid and the noise will go away for a week or so as it will cause the blockage to break down. It will return as it blocks up again. The colder it is the more viscous the fluid is so the blockage makes noise as it is squirted out.
Add an inline tranny filter to the lines to catch the debris so it will not end up at the screen again. Flush the fluid and it will go away permanently. Also pop the screen and clean it for a complete fix.
I pray no one will ask this again but to be reasonable i would accept 6 months . If you found this thread through a search please post to this as it as one of your problems and if it helped rather than just read add to it for feedback on if it worked for you.
Old 12-02-07, 10:32 PM
007LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
I am sure i answered this 2 weeks ago.
Your screen behind the variable solenoid is plugged, add new fluid and the noise will go away for a week or so as it will cause the blockage to break down. It will return as it blocks up again. The colder it is the more viscous the fluid is so the blockage makes noise as it is squirted out.
Add an inline tranny filter to the lines to catch the debris so it will not end up at the screen again. Flush the fluid and it will go away permanently. Also pop the screen and clean it for a complete fix.
I pray no one will ask this again but to be reasonable i would accept 6 months . If you found this thread through a search please post to this as it as one of your problems and if it helped rather than just read add to it for feedback on if it worked for you.
This is a place for help, if you don't want to keep answering, then don't. If you feel like you have answered this question many times before, then links would be more helpful for the people that are new around here like me. I agree that the search button should be used first, but it doesn't always get the job done.

"I pray no one will ask this again but to be reasonable i would accept 6 months." Please pray for something more useful.

Last edited by 007LS400; 12-03-07 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 08:20 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Your right ,
no need to search it the thread is a week old .11-19-07, 12:00 PM
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319142
Sir that is just plain laziness , you don't even need to search to find it just open your eyes and it is right in front of you for the picking.

Come on now their is asking for help and being asked to be spoon fed.
The purpose of a forum is to attempt to help yourself before asking for help.
Old 12-04-07, 08:09 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Smile

I asked this question when I got into a car after work, using my i-phone. Browsing the forum is a bit difficult and I was worried about the car.

If one has the wealth of knowledge, it is his choice to share it or not at any given point. There is no need to school people about using the forum.

Thanks for good info, change of fluid us in order indeed since the fluid is a bit foamy.

Peace to all!! Happy motoring.
Old 12-04-07, 11:48 AM
007LS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skperformance
Your right ,
no need to search it the thread is a week old .11-19-07, 12:00 PM
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=319142
Sir that is just plain laziness , you don't even need to search to find it just open your eyes and it is right in front of you for the picking.

Come on now their is asking for help and being asked to be spoon fed.
The purpose of a forum is to attempt to help yourself before asking for help.
"Your right "

That is all I needed to see. FYI a week is 7 days and it is You're.

Last edited by 007LS400; 12-04-07 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 01:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 007LS400
"Your right "

That is all I needed to see. FYI a week is 7 days and it is You're.
number 1 rule of any forum, car or otherwise:

If you want people to help you then say "thank you" when they give you the answer you need, and dont be an *#& when they tell you to go SEARCH.

if you dont, the rest of us see it and become MUCH less willing to help you in the future we also become less willing to help when you start gettin on people for simple crap like grammar, a week is 7 days? REALLY??? the point is that the thread needed was STILL ON THE FIRST PAGE. calm the hell down, Search, and be Polite

Last edited by PureDrifter; 12-04-07 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 02:26 PM
007LS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
number 1 rule of any forum, car or otherwise:

If you want people to help you then say "thank you" when they give you the answer you need, and dont be an *#& when they tell you to go SEARCH.

if you dont, the rest of us see it and become MUCH less willing to help you in the future we also become less willing to help when you start gettin on people for simple crap like grammar, a week is 7 days? REALLY??? the point is that the thread needed was STILL ON THE FIRST PAGE. calm the hell down, Search, and be Polite
Hey, I am calm as a clam, if that makes any sense. The , was meant as a joke; I guess I should have used a . Sorry about my dry sense of humor.
Old 12-04-07, 07:13 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know... It seems that everyone involved spent a heck of a lot of time and energy.. to complain about the original poster not doing a search.

He did explain after that he was using his mobile phone to post the question from the car. Searching can be a pain when your at home.. let alone trying to do it on a 2 inch screen. You said it was right there on the front page.. I bet it wasnt right there on a 2 inch screen.

It would have been much easier to just answer it, or to post a link to the info if you did not want to retype it. Or just not reply.. and someone with more patience would have eventually answered the guy.

As a general rule, it usually makes you feel good when you can help someone else, even if it is a common question that has been gone over lots of times.... if helping people annoys you.. then dont reply.. or even better, dont participate at all, forums are all about asking questions... and chatting with other people that have common interests...I'm thinking you forgot that.

Just my opinion.. but when somebody asks something.. just answer it, and quit complaining about the fact that he asked it...

OK..sorry..now I'm going on and on about it.

Ken
Old 12-05-07, 08:41 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

If i had a problem with the original post i would not have answered him. He has a valid reason for not searching but it still was only a short scroll away.
If the original post had indicated it was being done from a mobile and the intent to search was unavailable then my addition to the post would not of been there.

It is funny how those who have just dropped by (with low post counts) to get an answer always feel it is ok to not look before asking. While others who actually read threads and answer them with intelligent answer saving owners thousands of dollars should be frowned upon for asking for just a small amount of respect.
Respect may be in short supply these days but if you get what you asked for while being reminded of forum etiquette where is the problem ?

If everyone asks the same question over and over again then the forum fills with clutter and is not fulfilling the needs of anyone as no one wants to read the same question (never mind search )asked again and again and less and less people respond so the newer folks get no where .
Now it is up to new members to get up to speed with how forums work . Not the forum contributors to bend over and feed the need of instant gratification.

Funny how on all forums the ubber lazy with no clue of how to fix a car can always find a way to complain about grammar as a way to feel better about their position.
Old 12-05-07, 09:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kens97sto
You know... It seems that everyone involved spent a heck of a lot of time and energy.. to complain about the original poster not doing a search.

He did explain after that he was using his mobile phone to post the question from the car. Searching can be a pain when your at home.. let alone trying to do it on a 2 inch screen. You said it was right there on the front page.. I bet it wasnt right there on a 2 inch screen.

It would have been much easier to just answer it, or to post a link to the info if you did not want to retype it. Or just not reply.. and someone with more patience would have eventually answered the guy.

As a general rule, it usually makes you feel good when you can help someone else, even if it is a common question that has been gone over lots of times.... if helping people annoys you.. then dont reply.. or even better, dont participate at all, forums are all about asking questions... and chatting with other people that have common interests...I'm thinking you forgot that.

Just my opinion.. but when somebody asks something.. just answer it, and quit complaining about the fact that he asked it...

OK..sorry..now I'm going on and on about it.

Ken
you're doing MUCH better
i need say nothing more.

im not posting in this thread on this topic again, its gotten off topic enough.
Old 12-11-07, 08:53 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

to help your power steering pump the thing I did was to switch to using mobil one synthetic trans fluid in mine and all noises have stopped I live in Southern California and go up in the snow for days and found that before I ran the snythetic mobil one trans fluid my power steering always groaned moaned and just was noisy. every 25,000 miles I pump my ps pump 3-5 times changing the fluid and the pump now has 193,000 miles and no problems. I average about 50,000 miles a year driving as a salesman and can not afford a breakdown I maintain my lexus every 25,000 changing the trans fluid rear end fluid using mobil one product in all parts of the car I am now using the new mobil one extended motor oil good for 15,000 miles and so is BMW Porche Corvette, Mercedes and all high performace race cars going the full 15,000 miles and no problems. A well maintained lexus at 200,000 is just getting well broken in , they have lexus's on road with the same engine with 600-800,000 miles and 300,000 to 500,000 miles is considered normal.

Quick Reply: Power steering noise in cold weather help!!