LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1997 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 09:59 PM
m0rs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ls400

Hey guys,

Just thought I would post some pics of this 1997 coach edition I got.. bone stock. Need to get a medium tint job and maybe lower a bit. I always 'feel' the first gen looks so much lower than this one and it was a first gen that I first fell in love with anyway.. But couldn't pass up on the features in a second gen :-/

http://realitychecks.blogspot.com/20...-v8-power.html

I got a question for you guys...

It might be that I had too much expectation from all what I read about the cathedral quiet etc in the LS400.. but I am pretty disappointed about the wind noise levels in this otherwise excellent car. I feel it is only just as good as my previous 1998 Camry. I mentioned this to my mechanic and after taking a quick look, he suggested that it is most likely that the seals have weathered after all these years.. I also noticed that the windshield has been replaced and not with an OEM. Would the fact that the original has been replaced and also the fact that it is not OEM affect the wind noise levels?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Last edited by m0rs; 11-26-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-26-07, 10:09 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that could be it, sometimes i get wind noises from my moonroof so i just open it then close it again and its gone. but when its really windy, nothing can avoid it.
Old 11-26-07, 10:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

aftermarket windshields are normally MUCH MUCH thinner than OEM meaning a LOT more windnoise and more than likely wasnt installed PERFECTLY so there's air leaking around the seals.
Old 11-27-07, 09:35 AM
Sanpete
Rookie

What PD said (which is what you suspected). And it's probably not only air leaks, but inferior aerodynamics (spots where the improper fit causes additional noise even on the outside). If the car is pretty quiet otherwise, as it ought to be, you might get an OEM windshield put in by a trustworthy installer. Even OEM will be noisy if not well installed. (Since you're in SD, someone might be able to recommend a place to get it done.)
Old 11-27-07, 09:50 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

i would imagine the dealer would charge an arm and a leg to install it, no?
Old 11-27-07, 10:05 AM
m0rs
Driver School Candidate

Aha.. So the replacement windshield and the replacement itself is most likely the culprit. Thanks guys! I can now think of how to fix my maniac obsession with noise levels.. I tried searching for OEM toyota windshield for LS400 and couldn't get any info on the prices online. Anyone knows a site where I could search? I'm hoping the whole process aint gonna break my bank.
Old 11-27-07, 10:44 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If you want a "Toyota" windshield, it will get you about $800 without install. The prior owner on ours had replaced the glass with a cheap one and when I had a PPG mid-line put in, it was a touch quieter, maybe a .2-.3 db but it was so slight.

The auto press over hyped the interior noise dampening and while quiet, it's not like a dead sound chamber or tomb. The double door seals help and if the car has been in excessive heat, these and the age aren't helping.
Old 11-27-07, 11:59 AM
Sanpete
Rookie

It's a good point that the LS isn't really quiet as a tomb. You might want to drive in another 95-97 LS that hasn't had the windshield replaced to compare to yours. But a poor windshield/install will increase wind noise quite noticeably.

Do a search here for "windshield" or the like to find more on what glass to look for. I've forgotten who makes the Toyota glass, but you can reportedly get the OEM specs without the Toyota brand for less.
Old 11-27-07, 01:19 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m0rs
Hey guys,

Just thought I would post some pics of this 1997 coach edition I got.. bone stock. Need to get a medium tint job and maybe lower a bit. I always 'feel' the first gen looks so much lower than this one and it was a first gen that I first fell in love with anyway.. But couldn't pass up on the features in a second gen :-/

http://realitychecks.blogspot.com/20...-v8-power.html

I got a question for you guys...

It might be that I had too much expectation from all what I read about the cathedral quiet etc in the LS400.. but I am pretty disappointed about the wind noise levels in this otherwise excellent car. I feel it is only just as good as my previous 1998 Camry. I mentioned this to my mechanic and after taking a quick look, he suggested that it is most likely that the seals have weathered after all these years.. I also noticed that the windshield has been replaced and not with an OEM. Would the fact that the original has been replaced and also the fact that it is not OEM affect the wind noise levels?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Good timing on your post. I recently replaced my cracked windshield with a PPG green tint OEM windshield. Now, since the replacement I can definitely hear more wind compared to before. However, since it cost me $150 flat I can live with the increased noise and crack free viewing area

The increased wind noise is not excessive but where I didn't hear any before, I hear some now.
Old 11-27-07, 09:08 PM
m0rs
Driver School Candidate

RA40 : Why did you change over to PPG from the cheaper one? Noise?
LexusToys : Thanks. Interior is Tan.
Sanpete : How did you know I was from SD?
Steveski : I s'pose your case pretty much proves the point that replacing the original windshield (even w/ OEM) can increase noise levels.

I guess I will just have to get rid of my 'noise consciousness' and live happily ever after.. Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-07, 09:33 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Your location's in your profile (click on your user name at the head of your posts). Don't have to give up on your quest for quiet, but you might want to check out the alternatives some more before you do anything. The main reason I bought an LS was for quiet, and reliability. If mine gets noticeably more noisy I'll surely try to fix it.
Old 11-27-07, 10:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Mine got a star from a flying rock. There are various levels of glass so call the prospective companies so that you get a good one. I didn't think much of the visibility till the PPG was put in...very clear and the other was like looking through a faint haze. Total price for my glass was $330. I have a windshied thread some years back and it has the model # of the PPG in it.
Old 11-28-07, 06:39 PM
Whiteglove
Driver School Candidate

not gonna lie, your car is looking fresh
Old 11-28-07, 10:46 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i change out my windshield out too. but never really notice anythin . mors you from sd we should kick it one day, pull you to the vip life style lol.
Old 11-29-07, 10:10 AM
m0rs
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Whiteglove. It was a single owner well maintained car with 108K mi when I bought it. I think one of the best things I like inside is the feel of the wood shift ****
PK_Celsior. haha. I dunno about VIP lifestyle man.. for the longest time before and for a while after I got the car, the question that kept popping up in my head was - am I really worthy of driving this car ?? I'm just another 40 hr job guy unlike the VIPs this car is meant for.. ;-) For instance the original owner prolly spend about 60K when he got it new and he spend about 88K on the new LS460 he got when he sold this one. So, ya know.. dunno about the VIP feel. lol
Good to hear yer windshield work went well. I'm considering one soon prolly. Where did you get it done?