LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

rear ate rotors for only $26 each at tirerack

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 06:37 AM
chadr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear ate rotors for only $26 each at tirerack

Why are these so cheap compared to most other prices? I wish they had the front too then I wouldn't even bother to check the runout of each rotor before purchasing

I replaced the front rotors 20k miles ago using brembo replacements that cost about $50 each from thepartsbin.com but it seemed like they were warped again after only 10k miles. At least there is plenty of vibration when braking at highway speeds. I am going to check the runout to see how bad they really are. I can't believe rotors would warp so easily especially since the car is not driven hard.
Old 11-21-07, 09:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you dont have to replace warped rotors, you're supposed to have them cut.

il prolly try out the ATE rotors when i needa do the rear brakes, i posted up a thread askin bout them in the wheels/tires/brakes forum and didnt get any reviews.
Old 11-21-07, 12:31 PM
chadr
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you dont have to replace warped rotors, you're supposed to have them cut.

il prolly try out the ATE rotors when i needa do the rear brakes, i posted up a thread askin bout them in the wheels/tires/brakes forum and didnt get any reviews.
at this price i'll buy new rear rotors before having them turned for $15 each. i haven't had much luck from having rotors turned for other vehicles. The few times I've had rotors turned it seemed like they got warped almost immediately.
Old 11-21-07, 02:19 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATE is supposed to be a good brand, OEM to BMW. But they probably outsource the manufacturing of these rotors to China.
Old 11-21-07, 07:06 PM
HaryGahtoe
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Read the post. ATE is a Euro parts Co with quality. I have a CLK 430 & I chose not to use their rotors when I re& re'd. Why; I found slotted/drilled rotors & carbon-kevlar pads. ATE had a funky Beehive groove in what was more just solid rotor. I do use ATE DOT 4 brake fluid. I have a CF2 & will change to drilled/slotted rotor. My son has a CF1 and needs new rotors. I'll help him replace his & this might be good thing for him.
P.S. If you warp a rotor, I have never resurfaced a rotor. Reason being heat. Or more specifically heat transfer. What causes a rotor to warp is excessive heat. By trying to resurface a rotor you actually decrease the amount of heat a rotor will absorb. Causing it heat up faster and soak up even less heat. Thicker rotors will always absorb more heat. Warping is a sign of built in manufacturer flaw most likely due to recycling parts from existing cars not built to withstand weight of newer cars.
Old 11-21-07, 08:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

ive been cutting rotors for years, as has the bulk of the automotive world, with no problems when properly done.

NAPA and Pepboys both resurface rotors for <$10/each.
Old 11-22-07, 12:32 PM
HaryGahtoe
Pit Crew

The issue here is the cause of heat and its effect on the brakes. Once a rotor is overheated and eventually warps; its finished. That process of heating the metal distorts its shape permanently. Regardless of what you try do after the fact. Think of it it terms of bending a spoon. It will never have the originally intended strength or stopping capability.
Warping a rotor and resurfacing it, doesn't fix anything. It will cause it to re-fail(warp) faster. If you don't have the funds or can't replace the rotors, by all means resurface the rotor knowing the life expectancy will be extremely short at best and you will replace them after all. But most importantly, you will be compromising/deminshing your cars braking ability.

Yes, resurfacing a rotor is a method of alternative replacement. Allowing virgin surfaces to have maximum contact and smooth action during a break-in period.
Resurfacing rotors isn't a cure for warping rotors,it will return almost immediately after you have spent considerable money and most importantly time you will throw away and replace to correct. When its a warped rotor: save time and money. Buy new rotors that are safe and will renew full braking ability to your Lexus.
Old 11-22-07, 02:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by HaryGahtoe
The issue here is the cause of heat and its effect on the brakes. Once a rotor is overheated and eventually warps; its finished. That process of heating the metal distorts its shape permanently. Regardless of what you try do after the fact. Think of it it terms of bending a spoon. It will never have the originally intended strength or stopping capability.
Warping a rotor and resurfacing it, doesn't fix anything. It will cause it to re-fail(warp) faster. If you don't have the funds or can't replace the rotors, by all means resurface the rotor knowing the life expectancy will be extremely short at best and you will replace them after all. But most importantly, you will be compromising/deminshing your cars braking ability.

Yes, resurfacing a rotor is a method of alternative replacement. Allowing virgin surfaces to have maximum contact and smooth action during a break-in period.
Resurfacing rotors isn't a cure for warping rotors,it will return almost immediately after you have spent considerable money and most importantly time you will throw away and replace to correct. When its a warped rotor: save time and money. Buy new rotors that are safe and will renew full braking ability to your Lexus.
you're funny, show me some empirical proof that cutting rotors severely dimishes their ability to brake properly and causes them to warp FASTER. you cant just be making these claims without some kind of evidence.

you have to understand, when people think of "warped" rotors they have the misconception that the ROTOR itself has deformed, which is simply not ture. what happens is that pad material is unevenly glazed onto the rotor, throwing it out of balance.
enjoy
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=402902

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 11-22-07, 04:40 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ive been cutting rotors for years, as has the bulk of the automotive world, with no problems when properly done.

NAPA and Pepboys both resurface rotors for <$10/each.
you go to pepboys?? good luck in life

Old 11-22-07, 05:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
you go to pepboys?? good luck in life

lol, actually, i used to have them turn rotors many years ago figuring they couldnt really mess up something made of cast iron

i deserved that
Old 11-22-07, 05:11 PM
Sanpete
Rookie

Someone has a good memory.

Edit: PD already caught it ...
Old 11-22-07, 08:44 PM
chadr
Rookie

excellent links I must say
Old 11-23-07, 11:25 AM
HaryGahtoe
Pit Crew

"Thickness Variation due to hot spots". Call it what you like. What you have is a rotor that has a high/low spot. If resurfacing works, thats the way to go. I see no proof it corrects the underlying original problem. Meaning you will only prolong the inevitable replacement
Old 11-23-07, 01:12 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Thickness Variation due to hot spots". Call it what you like. What you have is a rotor that has a high/low spot. If resurfacing works, thats the way to go. I see no proof it corrects the underlying original problem. Meaning you will only prolong the inevitable replacement

rotors are wear parts. its like you're *****ing about having to replace brake pads or change your oil.

and little ghetto shops will turn rotors for $5/ea, no reason to go to some chain store for that...
Old 11-23-07, 03:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

wow, you've got to READ the links i give BEFORE posting a response

the "Thickness Variation" isnt in the METAL of the rotor flexing, its glazed on layers of pad material affecting the OVERALL thickness of the rotor. im not trying to PROVE anything to you, i gave you the facts and you have yet to show me ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL that what you've been saying has any sustainable merit whatsoever.

there is not underlying problem with the ROTOR, its pad choice and circumstance

consider this, if what you are saying is true, then what reason is there for manufacturers to give min. thickness specifications for rotors, if once they get "warped" they need to be replaced.....?

Quick Reply: rear ate rotors for only $26 each at tirerack